Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Flatliner!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Aug 9, 2010.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Bill you talking the car or my new girlfriend!!! :)

2. rustydibris

rustydibris

so thats why fitzee always " me, me,me,me " :p

3. fitzee

fitzee

Final got some time at the old girl.. Got the roof welded up. still some fine tuning on the roof but that can wait..time to get at the floors. Now this car had nothing in the way of floors and wheels wells to save so I had to find or build new wheel wells. Now I was not interested in making a wheel tub in the back..wanted something to look like a stock stile wheel well. I did a 69 Caddy last winter and had to replace alot of the rear of the car so I had a southern rear clip come up for it. Well Never used the wheel wells and I put them away for flatliner.. quick test fit and see what way I will make them..

Attached Files:

4. fitzee

fitzee

After triming up the wheel well to where I was happy I then scribed out a outer section on a flat peice of steel.. Then I set it up and trimmed it for the wheel opening and made a lip so I could spot weld it in place on the wheel lip. when this was made and mounted I then mounted the inner wheel well but spaced it out 3/4 of a inch off the rails. I then welded stips from the inner well to the outer to hold it all togeather.. I removed it and then made strip to joine them togeather. tack welded everthing in place and did a final fit. Just need to weld it all up and then it can be installed in the car for good..

Attached Files:

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

That was a great idea to keep those tubs, nice work Fitz!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

We're all pack rats.
    Wouldn't happen to know anyone else like that would ya Steve??? :p:D:D

Nice work fitzee!

7. fitzee

fitzee

You know what it is like.see something and say I can use that for something else..I have alot of this stuff around..sucker for shapes!!

8. fitzee

fitzee

Im not no pack rat!!Im a collector.....of junk!! lol.

9. oldman2

oldman2

Very nice work, looks good...Jim

10. Roy39

Roy39

From another ( Old Man )
    Your work is as good as anything I,ve seen on here.
    Keep plugging away at it.
    Roy

11. rustydibris

rustydibris

save everything throw nothing out.... I just share it around hahaha so i know were to look for it if i need it hahaha:p

12. fitzee

fitzee

Well after sizing up the wheel well I realize that when installed I wont be getting at the quarter so any thing Im not happy with now Ill have to address before I install them. Well I decided to redo the quarters and butt weld the over lapped quarters I put on a few years ago!!

Attached Files:

13. fitzee

fitzee

playing around with the rear spring locations and Im happy with this location.Using a set of springs i had from a 60 Pontiac parts car I scrapped.need to either make or find some spring mounts and set up some shocks and a pan har bar and Ill be ready for floors!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  14. rustydibris

rustydibris

Should be easy seeing how we found that spot with all the early pontiacs

15. fitzee

fitzee

Oh yes.. Sawall off 4 of those control arms. gets some spare springs too. just in case I have to cut the springs down. Going after a few of those 9 inchs fords too. lets hope the weather is good..

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

17. fitzee

fitzee

Jason?? bring the walker!! Bills going!! lol

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

HAHAHAHAHAHA....you're not as agile as you used to be either... LoL

(I thought we could drive in there? Are you saying I'll need to take boots instead of my slippers??? :eek: ) :D:D:D

19. fitzee

fitzee

Bill funny you say that..I was crawling over the cars and all I was thinking was if I slip and fall this is going to hurt..lol you know your old when..lol

20. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You're not old until you start thinking...WHEN I slip and fall this is gonna hurt! :(

"No pain...no gain!" :D:D

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Zing !!

22. fitzee

fitzee

Got a few hours at the car last night.Jason showed up and helped out agian..thanks bud.. waiting on spring mounts for the rear and I had a few things on the car I need to address.when I finsh the floors I want to pull the body but one thing that would have to be done first is the front frame has to build for the stock rad support and bumper. So we figure we do that and figure out what had to be done.I had a old support that I cut up to mount the fender so I had a idea on where to chop off the rails. used the rad support from the green parts car and left it all togeather and just bolted it to the fenders. Seems like a straight forward job with only one problem that I could see. The lower rad hose is very close to the trans lines on the rack. Figure Ill have to move the outlet over a bit on the tank and that should fix it. We have plans on getting the spring mounts this saturday but there might be some snow headding our way..Just my luck.. Im hoping the weather will hold off till Sunday.

Attached Files:

23. oldman2

oldman2

Seems to fit in there pretty good, hose shouldn't be a problem for you, nice job...Jim

24. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

I just found and, read through your entire build thread. Very impressive! Since I own a 50 Fleetline and have started a similar build I have a question that I hope you wouldn't mind answering. I was considering using a S-10 front frame clip too but, wanted to keep the S-10 steering sector. Sounds like the original style radiator would not fit. My thoughts were to possibly use a crossflow radiator and graft in the matching radiator support. Had you considered this too and figured out it wouldn't work for some reason? Any help or ideas from you or anyone else reading this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  25. fitzee

fitzee

There is not much room between the rails with the box and pittman arm in the way.. move it forward of that and your in the grill. I have my frame channeled in front about 2 inch so i have less room.. You can use a cross flow rad but it will have to stick up like the 52 rad did.. I think it will look stupid but it can work all the same. a Nova or early camaro clip with the box in the back would work way better.I went with S10 cause I want the tires in under the fenders and did not want to ark the wheel lips for tire clearance.

26. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

I agree with you about the Camaro/ Nova frame clip. I was hoping a S-10 clip would work better and, be easier to find. I didn't realize they have a front steer sector and that it would be in the way. I have a 95 Blazer I'm using for parts. I've looked at that front suspension and wondered if it could be somehow converted to 2WD spindles but, it has a front mounted sector too and, it has torsion bars. Crazy idea. Thanks for you answer and info!

27. fitzee

fitzee

That is alot of work for something you want to use because you all read have it. Not a good idea. The clips are not easy to graph in as you can see in my build. I did it cause the front was shot. If the front was any good at all I would have kept it as it was and just update the brakes.

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't help it, I gotta say that this is among the coolest first posts I've ever seen. John's been lurking for two and a half years and finally just dives right in with a clip question. Cool.

I would say welcome to the HAMB John, but shit, you've been here for over two years! Glad to see you break your cherry. :):cool:

OK Fitz, you can have your thread back.

29. rustydibris

rustydibris

after some parts gathering for the fleet line... we couldnt find anything to cover up that bear shiny spot...
    [​IMG]

dont need no head light pots for this picture lol

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fitz, be careful when you go out with Rusty!