Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project "AREA 51" 51 Mercury update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, May 11, 2008.

1. Working on other things these days but took a little time on the Merc tonight. I have been working on hood fitment for awhile now and couldnt get anywhere. Come to find out the rear inner brace for the hood had been snatched at one time or anouther. I cobbed the brace from the Merc in the basement, blasted, and primed it. Man what a difference.
    One of the biggest decisions Ive made latelly on her was to trim the rear of the hood and weld it to the body and fender. I really didnt want to obtain two more gaps but the fit and finish of the hood is SO much easier to do, especially when the hood isnt the NOS one everyone else has laying around!!!!! I took a few pics to show the process and have a little welding and grinding yet to do, but this was one of the biggest mods to do before I get serious about blowing the front apart for blast and prime.
    All the glass is cut and the wing windows and windshield are installed for now. I added a few shots from the side window and I thought I took some good ones of the vents but can seem to find them, ill keep checking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. And the glass. I just glued it in the chanels with windshield sealant. Still looking for the vent pics.

Hard to believe she started as a four door. What a journey!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  3. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn bro. You really have a good eye for the subtle changes a car needs. This car is turning out great.

4. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I have just one question.Which has been puzzling me for years.When guys build Merc customs,the object is to eliminate seams,why is it,everybody rounds the rear hood corners? All you are doing is making another seam.I just don't understand it.

5. Its a really gray area. The hood hinges on a merc spread the hood as it comes down into the fenders and cowl. If you look at mercs with the hood untouched you will notice that alot of them have the paint chipped in the rear corner where the hood hits the fender. It is a chore to get the hood fitment right with the door, cowl and fenders. The mod that I contimplated and chose to do, gives me better control of the transition from the hood to the cowl and fenders, while not having to deal with the door. Not to mention the paint chip problem. As stated, I would rather not have aquired 2 more gaps but they weighed out.

Im sure there are other reasons for different builders, some just want to round the hood corners or just be different, and cured this problem without meaning to!!! Anyone else able to explain this?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  6. Whilst the bonnet chip issue is a notable element, I think it has more with the 'perspective' that these cars are like big curvacious water drops, and sharp corners really detract from the overall 'flow'. I realise this might sound stupid, but these small details really help hammer home a 'finished' look......just as much as perfect gaps.

my 2c,

Drewfus:)

P.S. Looking great Ether....

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

DANG OZZIES what do you guys know!!:D aaa andrew found the perfect 3 window for you on ebay ill send you a link..

8. Ive been running around getting quotes to get just the bodywork done since Ive got a painter lined up. Can I just say ""HOLY SHIT""!!!!!!! Im not looking for a freebee by any means but I think im in the wrong business!!!!!

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now is the perfect time for you to hone your body AND paint skills. Ask Prostockjohn how bad it has sucked waiting for his car to get some color.

You will wear out your elbows, knees and patience, but I KNOW you can do it. The only one that can live up to your expectations is you. Go get a long board and get after it.

Hell, I did all mine, and I'm just a hack...

[​IMG]

-Abone.

Kreepea_1 likes this.
  10. HACK, my ass!!! Abone your Merc is awesome! How many hours do ya think you have in it, just mud work? Im about to put all the sheetmetal side work on hold and figure this crap out if I have to. I still need to blast and prime my frontend so I have some time to figure it out.

Attached Files:

11. So true... so true. A regular body shop is a bad bet because they rely on a daily influx of wrecks... so hunkering down and fixing stuff on an old car is a tricky proposition.

What color are you thinking?

I had my hinges rebuilt by 51Gringo but I think the rear corner rounding is ascetic as well as useful... Mine were all chipped up and my car was probably built in the last 20 years.

12. Im pretty sure im going with a dark deep nonmetallic red. Something classic and non dating. Id love to stick with black but dont want to clean it all the time since this thing is going to be driven, long trip planned for this one!

13. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Hack? I just punched you in the mouth in my mind!

14. Im looking for a set of the short front bumper guards (bumperettes) for a 51 Merc. Not the tall bumper grill guard with the overrider. I have a pair but they are too pitted on the back for me to use on this build. Anyone?

15. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,This Kool Merc was sittin' in Ed Roths lot when i was out there from M'Town Iowa in winter '58/'59 ,,it was just finished n the paint dryin' in th Calif sun ,it was Candy Burgandy (Wine) over Pearl White,
    interesting use of the '55 Ford trim , '56 Chevy Wheel Wells and those famous Lincoln tail lites ,,of coarse the frenched headlites ,,appleton spots and louvered hood was kool too ,

[​IMG]

16. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,A closer up pic ,,neet white tuck n roll w' burgandy piping ,,better shot of that louvered hood ,,
    [​IMG]

17. Interesting photos - thanks for posting those.

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool pics and thanks for posting them. It would have been kool to see that Merc in
    color, I bet she was wild. I had to add the pictures to my library.

Happy Trails,

Mick

19. sounds like it going to be a great turn out.

20. Drove around a couple hours and worked out a few minor transmission program issues. Its Race weekend here in Atlanta, got alot of thumbs up as well as a few wierd looks. I guess they were wondering what the hell we were doing messing with a laptop computer in an old 51 Merc custom!!!! Still looking for a solid pair of front bumperettes. Chad

21. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Naw, they just figured you were on the web checking on the H.A.M.B.!

22. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

that pic is too kool !!! why did you post it here ? :confused: there is a bunch of kool topic she would be right at home ! like the "old pics " one ;)

23. I'm sure you posted this earlier, but you are running an EFI 5.0 with mass air and a 4 spd od trans or something else.

My guy braced my hood big time, one cross brace was missing and he added more. That with the rebuilt hood hinges by Max and the hood is awesome now.

24. PSJ, Yep an EFI GT40 5.0L and a 4R70W trans with a Baumann Engineering controller.

25. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Zed; i posted those pics here as "Food For Thought" for the guys here doin' thier Mercs ,,sumthin' different to do to em instead of the usual Buick side trim and "Cruiser" skirts ,,Sorry if you didn't like em ,,??/

26. Well, I blew the Merc apart AGAIN on Thurs. Blasted the frontend parts Thurs, Friday and hoping to prime today. We are going to paint the firewall and inner fenders so thats done when it goes to paint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  27. 'Mo

'Mo

Will those pieces be body color?
    (I'm eager to see what's coming.)

28. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Lookin good Ether; slddnmatt just tacked in the grill apron on my 51. Wish I had the time and talent; but i sure found a great builder in Matt. Keep 'er going; and keep the pics coming. Nick

Attached Files:

29. Mo, Ill be doing the cowl, inner fenders, hood underside and hinges in black. Still doing sprayouts to find the right color and havent found one in time to paint everything body color.

Nick, Matt has it going on and I hope you find a good set of 53 Desoto teeth so I can have back the ones I borrowed to you!?!?!?! JK,,,, Looking good!

30. Just in time for lunch!!!

Attached Files: