Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project "AREA 51" 51 Mercury update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, May 11, 2008.

1. Racrdad

Racrdad

Car looks great! This is one of the first threads I started watching wwhen I first joined the HAMB and have really enjoyed it. You do good work!

2. Thanks all for the comments, they dont go unappreciated!!! I have enough to do most the trunk yet and have bought 144 square feet. Just over 116 square feet to do the roof, firewall, and floor back to the midpoint of the wheelwells. Dynamat isnt cheap and there are others out there but it would always weigh on my mind if I put in something else and to wonder if Dynamat would have been better. YES,,,,,"A" personality!!!! I have a little secret where to get the stuff cheaper though!!! Pm me if you read this and Ill tell ya how!!!!!

3. hvychvy

hvychvy

Very,Very NICE.Awesome job!!!

4. Well, She went to the interior shop. Dropped her off Monday and picked out a new color and style. Left a bunch of interior pics, most from cars at the 2011 LARS. Still a bunch to do but this is definatelly one of the last major hurdles and expenses. Donations anybody?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you would of had a couple of extra bucks, if you would of just tagged those doors as a carry on!!:D

6. HeyMatt, i was just talking about that the other day to a fellow HAMBer as we were taking a flattie out of a 50 moredoor I drug home. He asked about them and I told him they are spoken for. Still planning on driving this thing out next year and bringing them along , I know youve heard that before!!!

7. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Hey Ether! Thanks for the flattie... to bad we didnt get any pics of the fastest flathead removal in history ha ha!!! I broke her down and so far looks like we have a runner :) next step is vat and mag fer cracks but im confident its a gud un ;)

8. An interior sneak peek!!!!

Attached Files:

9. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

bitchin Dwight Yoookums ha ha looks great man, love the white!:D

10. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Looks awesome Chad. Can`t wait to see the pic`s with it all put together. Post em as you get em, Rhys.

11. Happy for you in a jealous way! :)

12. Any new pics? I'm thinking about using Dynamat in my car too. What exhaust are you running? Are you running a single or dual puller e fan setup?

13. Im hoping to get it back from upholstery Friday. I am running dual exhaust with just old school turbo mufflers. The fan is just a single puller with a shroud.
    Interior trim is that of a Dwight Yoakam western shirt, Just a touch of Bakersfield!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

14. What did you end up doin' for the back seat? HHMMMM?:rolleyes:

15. Interior looks great!

16. Well, The Merc came home last night from interior shop (Gibbs Auto Interiors in Jonesboro GA). I have a bunch to do yet to get it up to speed but things are definately coming together!!!!

Attached Files:

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

18. Skirv

Skirv

Very nice. Looks tastefully done like the rest car.

19. I like! that turned out great!

20. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Nice work Chad! A great sled gets better!

21. Thanks, Its amazing to look back and see where we all started with our projects!!!!! Seems like just yesterday it was taking its first steps,,,oh how they grow up fast!

Attached Files:

22. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Glad to hear that. I have a difficult toddler on my hands :)

23. Wow. Almost too purty to scrog in :D

24. John, before you use dynamat, go to sounddeadenershowdown.com and look through his results. Also, stay away from the asphalt based Deadeners. Always use butyl. Cascade audio has good tech support. I wrote a quick simple question and got a damn thesis back on how to use their products together to block heat and sound. I'll probably use them in my Merc.

25. Got the back window back in it and working on all the trimmins! Man is it hard keeping it clean while Im putting the finishing touches on it (the interior) This white gittyup is going to be fun!!!!

26. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

27. Eth I have a bunch of little questions, would you like me to put them here or in PM's? I'll put 'em here for now, tell me otherwise.

1--So when you did the dynamat, you did it on the firewall, inside the quarters, the roof and the floor? What kind of prep did you do to the body surfaces first - Should I POR15 mine?

2--Is your roof attached to metal rods?

3--Your garnish/interior moldings do not cover the edge of your panels right, they butt up against each other?

28. John, after I sandblasted the body, I sprayed rustolium primer and rustolium paint on the inside. Before I applied the Dynomat, I wiped everything down with a wax and grease remover. The metal rods/headliner bows are not attached to the roof. They fit in the little holes above the doors and quarter windows. The mouldings do overlap the door and quarter interior panels. Hope this helps. Chad