Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 333 [Half Evil] a Mid Engine Roadster DragCar started finally.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Littleman, you might find this interesting.

[​IMG]

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well this is going to be interesting! Looks like you have some pretty severe duty hardware there already!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Subscribed. This is going to be good.

7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Dammit man, took you long enough. I've been waiting ever since you showed a picture of the mock up way back in... er... ummm... the summer ??

Point of reference, these mid engine short wheelbase monsters were evil handeling more for the fact that the drivers didn't catch the car getting out of shape until it ws too late. The driver placement up front gave a poor point of reference. I'm not saying don't do it... just saying!!!

This will be cool. If there's a lunatic that should be building something like this, it's definitely you !!

Still waiting on the Death's Doorstep... Maybe even a Purple People Eater match race

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. oj

oj

Maybe we need to sort out the terminology, since this is a drag race car the 'roadster' is any old topless body where the driver sits in the traditional left hand location; an 'altered' can be the same roadster style body body but the driver sits behind the engine in front of the rear and is located in the middle of the car. So the biggest difference between a 'roadster' and an 'altered' is where the driver sits. I don't think he used the term 'roadster' generically, i bet the driver is in the tradtional location and he is building a 12-1400hp go cart.

9. Which roadster body do you intend to use on this project? I don't think you ever said what it was going to be. Looks like a killer start to a cool project.

10. 296moon

296moon
    from england

I`ll be following this!, got my own jag powered version going on [​IMG]

11. Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

How will you get in/out thing?

12. Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Sorry' How will you get in/out of that thing?

13. Actually an Altered you were not required to have center steer at least not in the beginning of the class. Gas Altereds for instance were originally gas roadsters.

Not all early altereds ran unsprung axles either. Buy the later '60s the design theory was different.

14. 296moon

296moon
    from england

The Middle part of the lower screen will hinge forward with the hood

15. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

kenneths, thanks for posting the pic of that car, never seen that one before. I hope to end up w/ something much sleeker...

oj, This will have a hard-tail....

296moon, neat project you have, thanks for posting the pic..

Evel, cat power it will be, remember..I heard that playing in your house..ha ha ha

I am not building to conform to no class or rules for a class......I want it to pass tech when looked at...All thou I want the tech persons first impression to be when they first see it to be....'' Oh Hell no! put that thing back on the trailer.''

I am building this just to see how fast I can get it to go....Just like I was doing w/ my Model A Pickup...squeeze it for everything it's worth...And to do that it takes allot of track time and tuning...So I plan on hitting the track hard, this hell ride may not work correctly or be safe @ first and some design change and tweeking may be in order.....and that to me is hotrodding, make it work.

I will be the first to admit I have no idea what I am doing !.........But I am willing to try...and if your willing to try, sometimes you need to embrace failure to continue forward.... In the end you do not know unless you try it..so many people out their do not try but yet have a head full of ideas..This car is a throw back to a time I wish I had been a teenager. And since I could not play back then, I can try to build a semi modern version to rip down the 1320 and pull the chute....Littleman

16. Saxxon

Saxxon

Why do we always have to get into a discussion regarding correct terminology ??? The old Speed Sport ROADSTER was never called an altered, rear engine or topless 27 bodies cars at Bonnevile are refered to as a roadster unless something specific has been done to place in the altered category.

Please... by all that's holy... let's not repeat the "Gasser" discussion with the term "Roadster".

This little monster is going to be stupid cool and rediculously fast but it sure will be entertaining to watch the build and Littleman's efforts to make it go fast...

17. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

[​IMG]

This was Don Kohler's injected nitro T/F dragster (125" wheel base) in the early 1980's, a few years later the NHRA made a minimum 180" wheel base rule for T/F cars. He made the wheel base longer along with a more conventional dragster body in the front, and put a blower on it.

18. 296ardun

296ardun

I agree, this is going to be a one-off piece that combines creativity with workmanship (in the '50s it would be classified as a modified roadster, like the Speed Sport, Tony Waters, etc...the standard roadster class, like the altered coupe class, limited engine setback to 25% of the wheelbase, so any rear-engined car like this one would have been classified as a modified roadster, and alky would bump it to the AF/MR class.)

Really admire the sense of adventure here, "not sure what it will wind up" is the way old-line drag racers started their projects, and innovation trumped the follow-the-crowd crowd...can't wait to see progress.

19. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

be sure to slow down the steering ratio way down

so you do not over correct....you are very close to front axle

when driving it be sure to look way a head /find a target down track /trust the car until it bites you...............

20. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

This is great, please keep us updated.
    Hey, what about using an IRS (not one that uses the axles as the upper arms) and moving the center-section/trans/engine back to free up some room? Never seen that done before, I'm guessing there's a reason....asking too much from the axles?
    Since (It appears) you're not needing suspension travel maybe that would work?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  21. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Man, Dave, you always amaze. Subed

22. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Not too much to update on.......Don mounted my new slicks, thanks Don !.......The Roller cam and lifters should arrive any day @ Ross Racing Engines.....My chrome So Cal drilled I-beam axle arrived yesterday along w/ spindles and spring. Having the front end parts for mock up will allow me to start bending the tubing soon and establish final wheelbase. Looking into front crank supports '' these are new to me'', need this as well to build around to be user friendly while working on the car once done......I need to carve up and fit the tires to the body quarters as well......Littleman

[​IMG]

23. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

RCD Engineering.
    Crank snout.
    [​IMG]

Crank support.
    [​IMG]

24. 60 ford

60 ford

Subscribed, this is going to be cool.

25. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I needed to really establish the wheelbase ....Drivers area is looking short...lucky me...I am short !.......I wanted to mock up the main body to get an idea how wide the front area from the cowl to a center point just out in front of the front axle will be and imagine what it will look like...This is the area I will be in. I want to transfer the basic outline from the cowl forward onto the chassis table and give myself the perimeter I need to keep the frame inside of. I will fab up the entire nose out of aluminum, should be a fun project all in itself..I cut into the rear quarters to sink in the wheels and slicks into the body....Right now I am up in the air about the front axle...I was originally thinking dropped I-Beam w/ a buggy spring...a go fast builder I know strongly suggests a dragster type torsion front setup or a front solid mounted axle, I also have thoughts of using my I-Beam w/ a torsion setup.............Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  26. Saxxon

Saxxon

Un-freak'n-believable !!
    I love this monster in the making.

Love the stance.
    Any idea what you are going to do for front sheetmetal ?

27. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Wow,I second the monster in the making statement. Subscribed! Awesome!

28. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

That looks like a wild machine! You might be a little man, but you must have some big balls

Will you have a set of old wheels for vintage events?

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow Dave you are killing me...sweet build.