Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 1950 Ford Panel Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by livertucky, Dec 26, 2018.

1. livertucky

livertucky

Bought this girl back in '94 in MO, brought her to CA and started taking her apart for restoration but then life got in the way and there she sat in my parents' garage until yesterday when we pulled her out. Loaded on the trailer and heading home to TN so I can finish what I started so long ago. IMG_20181224_102622_979.jpeg 20181224_131224_HDR.jpeg 20181224_131153_HDR.jpeg 20181224_131211_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H872 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Looks solid..so what are the plans for it?

3. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

IMG_0953.JPG Sounds like my story except mine's been in the same garage for 20+ years. Your body looks really good.

RMR&C likes this.
  4. mike matters

mike matters

that looks like a merc grille

5. Na, looks like Chevy Truck grill.

6. livertucky

livertucky

Retorod. I have a rebuilt 351W with C6 to start. Gonna add IFS and 4 link rear.

7. livertucky

livertucky

Nice! Yeah its straight with a little damage fro. The old plumbing racks that were on the passenger side. I blasted it amd sprayed with rust converter when it was parked inside so that saved it I think.

8. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Merc grille!

9. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Be really careful with paint prep. A friend had used rust converter and although a lot of quality paint prep and a beautiful black paint job was done he is having a few blister starting to show up under the top coat.

Lee

RMR&C and livertucky like this.
  10. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Subscribed

livertucky likes this.
  11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

^^^Yup

livertucky likes this.
  12. Me too, (Not that "Me too"!)

King ford, OahuEli and livertucky like this.
  13. Total loss as to what Merc grill that is. I see now it is not a Chevy truck grill but what Merc is it. This is close but not the same and don't look to be O.E. to the panel.
    d1823e33cf3a200431935f9ea4ac9083--ddr-the-state.jpg images.jpg

PoTaToTrUcK, exterminator and waxhead like this.
  14. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

It's a '48-'50 Canadian Mercury grille I have three of them to make one, maybe two out of. The plan is to use some of the Merc trim and badges on my F1 Panel

Lee 20181227_132742.png

treb11, RMR&C and waxhead like this.
  15. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

This is my favorite Merc panel truck pic.

Sorry livertucky, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

IMG_0318.JPG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    livertucky, Pist-n-Broke and waxhead like this.
  16. Same here livertucky, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I like these Old Trucks and did a Google search and that grill didn't show up on anything. I do like it now that I see it mounted. I also have a Panel Truck but it's a 53 along with my 53 Pick-up. Nothing Stock about either of mine.

livertucky likes this.
  17. mike matters

mike matters

its a 48-50 merc grille

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Any final plans yet?
    I like this one, Subtle but cool, I like these low too...
    upload_2018-12-27_22-23-28.jpeg

19. livertucky

livertucky

Low Budget, no final plans yet, but probably a lot like the picture you posted. Keeping it as original looking as possible on the outside with updated powertrain and suspension. As for the interior, thinking some comfortable buckets and a good sound system. Nothing too crazy, just a solid driver.

low budget and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  20. livertucky

livertucky

Moving forward with Jag IFS & IRS from 83 XJ6. Got the donor car for 400 and sold the scrap form 180. Going to rebuild the suspension and brakes before the install. Going with solid mount to drop it down a bit.
    Also found an entire front end from a fire dept equipment truck in perfect condition so a lot less metal work in my future.

Sent from my LM-G710 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

low budget likes this.
  21. atch

atch

I'm not poo pooing your fire truck sheet metal idea, but it probably is a larger truck, which means that the wheel openings are larger. Not necessarily a big deal, but be sure that's what you want.

I decided to not try to fix my front fenders and went to Bee Bop (in Athens, TN) for 'glass fenders.

The big truck grill and panels over/under the grill are the same, though. Clarence (avatar) has a large truck grill 'cause I snagged it out of a boneyard for dirt cheap and the original grill had some dings in it. You'll also be able to use the inner fenders, radiator support, and all the other pieces from the big truck. Only the actual fenders (4 pieces) are different. When you get to that point you'll notice that the radiator can be mounted in either of two different locations. One further forward was for 6 cylinder trucks and the rearward one was for V-8 trucks. Clarence has a sbc but the radiator needed to be located in the forward position to fit right.

Keep us posted.

livertucky likes this.
  22. livertucky

livertucky

Hey atch, it was actually the same regular F1 Panel Truck but used by the fire dept. Fenders match my old ones. He did have some extra F3 lowers which he had know idea where they came from.
    Fella I got them from happened to have the front end off and stored in his garage while working on it in his barn. Barn caught fire and he lost the panel and a Maverick. Fire stripped the chrome of the freshly done bumpers but they are straight as can be.
    Cheers!

Sent from my LM-G710 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. atch

atch

That takes the prize for the luckiest find of the century. Pristine F-1 fenders are made of unobtanium. Even rarer than '32 3 window coupes for $500.

livertucky likes this.
  24. livertucky

livertucky

I know, right? That's why when I heard about the stash, I drove 375 miles to pick them up. Found a '39 panel along the way. All original, stored in a garage 20+ yrs with the flathead and 3 speed still in it. Ohio appears to be the holy grail for panels. :)

25. livertucky

livertucky

So after a break, I'm back at it. Getting ready to strip the Jag suspension and rebuild it. Ordered up all the pieces and got my shocks in today. Decided to go with Bilsteins.
    Rest of parts should be in this week or next. Gotta get to work. 20201020_132937.jpeg

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  26. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Talk about unobanium fenders, what I REALLY LIKE is the invisible hood prop!!... nice project there Livertucky!!

livertucky likes this.
  27. livertucky

livertucky

Custom prop, I can help you install. hahaha

28. atch

atch

29. @livertucky

HELLUVA good question.