Register now to get rid of these ads!

Progress report on the 48 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordnutz, Nov 2, 2003.

1. About a week or so ago I posted showing pics of my new to me Canadian 114 inch wheelbase Mercury. Plans at the time included getting the bebuilt motor in it running and doing the brakes, putting on my set of 48 merc 15 inch wheels and radial whitewalls and driving it. The car has 45,000 or so miles on it and hasn't turned a wheel since 1966. Well, plans change. The rebuilt flattie it turns out was done in 1980 and for the last 10 years the car sat outside with the air cleaner off. It is stuck big time. On to plan B. I have a good running 53 ford flattie that will soon swap places with its dead friend. Here is a pic of the car as found.

2. Today in the shop at the tin farm. That is a friend in the coveralls.

3. The rebuilt engine looks like it has about 20 minutes run in time on it. Water in it though so will have to be soaked and pulled apart. Might be a saver though.

4. The next flattie getting ready to go in.

5. Pat,looks kill.You just have too much on the go.Hows things going for you?
    did you hear that I got a 57 GMC burban from Langley bout a month ago.I already have it clipped and diffed,brought it down 9 inches!I gotta get some pics up of it.
    I have a few bits for 48 mercs sittin here,had one a few years ago.Kewl cars.........Shiny

6. Shiny, you are right, I do have too much on the go. I want to get the merc running for next summer because I am not sure how I am going to like the tub living here. I may have to jam out and get in the big boat with windows. I am getting a foot operation the end of the week so should have lots of garage time coming up as I will have a cast on for 6-7 weeks. Looking forward to the shop time. Still have to finish the tub and the daughter's 65 chevelle hardtop for her wedding next July. She says they are the wedding cars.