Register now to get rid of these ads!

Progress on the sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greenracer, Jan 23, 2008.

1. greenracer

greenracer
    from sequim wa

I bought this from the almighty Jim Sibley.He chopped it and built the frame and suspension. He also put the floor in and welded in the roof section. He did all that in a couple months and its taken me a year and half just to get steering and brakes done. Here is a couple of pics of it so far.Just trying to get the turbos mounted and plumbed then I can start building the motor .If I ever get it running I will probably take it back to Jim for the body work.

Attached Files:

2. Was Jim a VW guy at one time?

3. greenracer

greenracer
    from sequim wa

He may have owned a few but I dont think he is the guy you are thinking of. I think there is another guy with same name . I have seen a few other guys on here ask him the same ?

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Twin turbos on a flathead?! You are a mad-man!

What's up with the roof rack?

Malcolm

5. greenracer

greenracer
    from sequim wa

I am beginning to think so myself.The roof rack was left on the roof section when Jim welded it in and so far everyone has thought that it looked cool myself included. I have only had a couple people that didnt like it.

6. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Just met this guy I live in his town. He is building a very nice A. Look forward to more pictures

7. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Hay post some resent pictures

8. raven

raven

Man, I'd be scared to run one turbo on a flatmotor, nonetheless two.
    The bottom end isn't factory built to take that kind of pressure.
    What are you doing to the lower end to assure that it doesn't puke the internals out the oil pan?
    r

9. greenracer

greenracer
    from sequim wa

Hey Langan I will try to get some recent pics up soon.Raven61 they ran blowers on them is there much of a difference between that and turbos as far as pressure on the bottom end. I am just running an all forged rotating assembly.
    Greenracer

10. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

OK I know it runs so where is it?

11. billys54

billys54

looks good keep it up.

12. Superchargers can sucessfully be used on a flat head because of the "linear" way a supercharger produces boost. I am not saying a turbo or two can't be done on a flatty, but it will take some careful planning and engineering, just in the fact the way a turbo produces boost. Linear is not in a turbo's vocabulary. My first turbo was back in the late 70's on a Honda 750 motorcycle. Do yourself a big favor, and lots of research. Plan-everything, draw through, blow through, waste gates, blow-off valves, timing retard, boost referenced fuel pressure, etc., etc. There are lots of good books on the subject, DONT think you wont blow those 3 main bearing webs right out of that flattie without some planning, cause you will. Forged rotating assembly wont help the rigidity of that block. Just trying to help, not blow you out of the water, you have a excellent project goin on- good luck!!!