Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 8/6/19

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim
    from Raytown Mo

2. Yanked the carby again and this time I completely disassembled the carb, used spray carb cleaner and compressed air to completely clean it and reassembled it, checking the float level. Cleaned all secondary wiring connections, screwed in a fresh set of NGKs and set the gap at 0.040 instead of 0.035. Cleaned all the contacts in the cap and cleaned cap and rotor. Fiddled with fuel pressure, adjusted idle mix and the corny early AFB air idle valve and went for a ride....still seems fat but no more bucking and flames out the carb.....pulls strong with the secondarys working now. Exhaust note sounds crisp after the engine warms up.
    I ordered a new Mallory unilite cap and rotor. I think it's gonna be ok now.

3. tb33anda3rd

tb33anda3rd
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

did you check the timing?

loudbang likes this.
  4. carbking

carbking

Rocky - the idle air bleed system can be difficult to adjust with today's fuel.

There should be a dimple on the lower body where a conventional curb idle screw would be located. Drill through the dimple with a number 21 drill; then tap for a 10x32 machine screw. Now add a conventional curb idle screw and spring from an AFB with the conventional idle setup. Bottom the idle air screw (assuming you have a conventional camshaft).

In the "for what its worth" category, the idle air bleed was a requirement from GM, NOT a Carter requirement.

And the idle air bleed (after the above-mentioned modification) is exceptionally useful with a big cam; as it is a controlled, adjustable air bleed. Think of the holes often drilled, and redrilled, and redrilled (until they are too large ;) ) in throttle plates to help the idle with a big cam. That screw will eliminate the need for drilling.

Jon.

XXL__, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  5. I added a switch on my dash going to the coil to turn off just for that reason Rocky.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from Raytown Mo

7. alchemy

alchemy

Rocky changing out of his track gears. I think he got second for the Yahoo Cup.

brEad, lothiandon1940, Tim and 3 others like this.
  8. Yup....yanked out the 2.71 road gears and swapped in a pair of 4.62s for the track. This week I'll swap in a pair of 3.54s for all around driving. Those 2.71 howl LOUD at about 75mph on the hiway! I got home early afternoon and my ears are still ringing..
    Thanks for the photos! That's me and Fatasswhitewalls leaning and looking.

9. Tim

Tim
    from Raytown Mo