Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Did you guys know there are 42 body mount bolts in a [my] 34 ford? This includes the 4 [2 on each side] that go into the frame's side rail, through the body's subrails horizontally in the back of each door jamb and the fine threaded 5/16ths bolts through the floor into the frame's X. Some of them still lined up fine and some others needed a little reaming to get the bolts in place. Got too damned hot to continue so I'll hit the shower and lounge with my sweetie the rest of the nite.........and play on the HAMB, of course! 34bodymounts2.jpg 34bodymounts1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Stogy, bct, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  2. Yes I do know. But you don't have to use them all. I didn't.

Tim likes this.
  3. Roadsir

Roadsir

Looking good Rocky, Keep it up!

4. Some of the hard-to-get-to bolts might not get installed. But then I love a nice solid, stiff car. Every time I think of this I think of driving my riding lawn mower [cheapie Yardman] and how it twists up going over uneven ground or the 3 buddies who drove 58 Impala convertibles in high school.....how the floors would move and pop and groan when driving over the bumps at the local drive-in movie....I made a decision then I would never have a twisty car....very tacky.

Tman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Well, It's not like I just used 3 of them Rocky! ha!

brEad, brad2v and Tim like this.
  6. You have seen the pic of a '34 sedan on display when they were new that had one front wheel high in the air showing how 'flexible' the body/frame were, haven't you?

7. I'm just kidding. I used plenty of fasteners on mine.

8. My paint booth is my favorite pin oak tree that overhangs my driveway. Took a break from bolting down the body to paint some interior stuff......same epoxy gray primer as the frame. workingtree.jpg workingpaint.jpg workingfloor.jpg

Stogy, 47ragtop, chop job and 7 others like this.
  9. My floorboard looks just like that with tool everywhere

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The adult sandbox...:D...the mad dash is on...Go Rocky Go...​

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    brad2v and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. Doing the million and one small things to get on the road. Got all but 2 body bolts in place and went to NAPA for hoses and belt....will be going back for the 3rd time to get the right length belt. DOH! Got all the clutch and brake linkage in place again [since putting the body back on] and the bottom hose will be a tough one...has to clear the Hurst motor mount. I made a list of stuff to do. It has 22 things on it and when I went out to the garage to work on the list I find I need to do about 4 other things just to get to each thing on that list..
    Well, at least I got the coolant hoses for the elbows into the heads today. 370waterneckL.jpg 370waternecks.jpg

47ragtop, Tman, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  13. Rocky, thanks for only showing the back of your head.

The 34 is looking great!!

When ya coming back to Bonneville?

Mick

Stogy, brEad and loudbang like this.
  14. Maybe next year, Mick. I dunno.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hey man if the list fits on one piece of cardboard your officialy getting close

Tim_with_a_T and loudbang like this.
  16. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! I thought I was the only one who needed a list. I forget so much shit I write everything down and then I go out to work on something on the list and find other things to add to it! Same as you. We must be related. Oh well. Just keep on plugging away and it will get done.

chryslerfan55, brad2v and loudbang like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Been thinking about the drags the last few days quite a bit. Think I’ll probably have a harder time keeping up with you this year in that rocket ship!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Maybe........I've been crossing things off my list lately. Got sidetracked doing some house stuff in preparation for my company coming to stay at our house. My little brother [Janglehead here on the HAMB] will be here from Oregon on Thursday to help me get the car ready for the drags. He's worked in several hot rod shops including Steves Auto Restoration in Portland. Knows his way around tools and hot rods. I've missed him since he went home to Oregon [over 20 years ago] and it'll be super great to have him here again.
    Oh, sweetie went to a conference for a week and it's gonna be the perfect opportunity to get the painting [ok, epoxy priming] done while she's gone...she HATES the smell of paint. engine5_18.JPG

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sounds like the perfect storm of hot rod progress brewing :) we’ll stop by in a few weeks to check progress ;)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. Do it...bring your grubbies

chryslerfan55, Tim and loudbang like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ll at least bring a little girl who makes hot rod noises ;)

22. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell your brother howdy for me, then hurry up and get that thing done. I'm cheerleading for you.

Good luck, -Abone.

loudbang, brEad and Tim like this.
  23. Scotty is here helping me. Working off my list of stuff to do. Got my column and wheel painted, roll bar modifications all planned out, new battery cables and ground straps made and installed. Getting ready to prime the inside of the car first, then the outside. View attachment 3960962

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Go man go!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Thanks for sharing the build with us, you're getting close!!!!!!
    As it's been stated, Go Rocky GO!!!!!!

26. Napa sells VW heater ducts that are flexible & expandable aluminum pieces and are great for forming and routing for the radiator hoses and they hold the shape,O learned this years ago and I still have the 2 I bought and have reused them many
    times in the last 30 years. HRP
    [​IMG]

27. Thanks, Danny...I think I've got both hoses sussed out now. Spent the day doing the front floor. I hate posting photos of it because I've seen some crazy nice floor humps done and posted on the HAMB.....mine is pretty amateurish. Got my gas pedal in place and tomorrow is gonna be time for rear shock mounts and trunk floor...after I get home from work. Hoping to paint the inside of the car this weekend. Been working on the car every day.
    34frontfloor.jpg

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man :)

loudbang likes this.
  29. Has to be well over 20 since I've seen your brother and you together...think probably at one of the fall club events in Florence in the mid-late '80s - you know, back in the days of Cliff'nDonna, single Art, Timmy C, Lonnie'n'Linda and a grey'n'black suede mid-'50s Poncho?