Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Directions on the can say shoot one coat, let it dry an hour and shoot a 2nd coat. But it appears the first coat is not drying enough before the 2nd coat is sprayed.
    When I spray the body it'll be a lot warmer and I'll go lighter on the 1st coat...spray it on dry and wait overnight before spraying the final coat. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  2. good plan, or just use one coat to seal.
    i ran into this and now am extra cautious, i love epoxy primers and always used the DP series from P.P.G. and it was never a problem. when i switched to the much cheaper brand i found i had to wait before using a filler primer over the top. problem didn't show up till after i painted and buffed a month later........had to repaint.

loudbang likes this.
  3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you going to take it all back apart to paint it? What color is the chassis going to be?

See you in August, -Abone.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Paint? Welp, Jeff.IF I ever paint this sucker the gray epoxy primer will be the undercoat but at this time what you see is what you get. I'm 70 years old and I REALLY don't wanna spend time doing finish body work, block sanding, guide coating spending money on paint I could give less than 1/2 a shit about! Even if I did paint it, my choice in color would be Ford dove gray...same color as the existing primer. My reason for using epoxy primer is to keep it as a finish coat if I never get around to real paint, which I probably won't.
    See ya in August, lil' brotha.

brEad, loudbang, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

keep going bra-tha.
    keep going......

I want to see it done.

Stogy, loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What Rocky said -- please let us know when you're in town some time.. And congrats to your daughter!

Lets make this happen!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Ha ha, I had every intention of going to shiny paint on my Model A, 15 years later it's still black primer. I was thinking of going to the HAMB drags this year, maybe we need a reunion.

Malcolm, loudbang and Tim like this.
  8. Mrs Rocky is outta town this weekend so I've been working in the garage....running brake lines. Damn, I make a big mess when I work. I'd have picked up my mess before stopping for the night but I'm exhausted...furnace not working and it's gonna be 12 degrees tonight...g'night 34mess.jpg

9. Ok, I got the furnace working again.

Tim_with_a_T, cactus1, Tim and 2 others like this.
  10. .................................Priorities! :D

Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

In a garage that size you could eat a cheese burger from up the street and drop a napkin and you’d have a mess. Keep on truckin your dang close!

loudbang likes this.
  12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocky I think it was Thomas Edison that said creating is a messy process! I like to think the mess in my garage is an indicator of a genius at work! My wife says otherwise. Says I'm just a mess maker!:D

loudbang likes this.
  13. atch

atch

Wow; I got really worried when I read the previous post and greatly relieved after this one.

Well; that applies to me (& sweetie) also.

loudbang likes this.
  14. atch

atch

Rocky,

I was curious about your front axle so searched the thread for pix &/or information. I found some pictures. That's a beautiful axle. Did you do the drilling? Whoever did it deserves another pat on the back.

loudbang likes this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Get back to work then .......

loudbang likes this.
  16. I drilled the axle a couple years ago. It's been a point of contention with several guys thinking I ruined it. We'll see.

loudbang and Tim like this.
  17. Go Rocky!

loudbang likes this.
  18. After 4 trips to NAPA for brake lines and fittings, I finally got brakes on my 34. Got a great pedal despite needing to adjust rear brakes. For my next trick, I shall run the last brake line I need for my emergency/park brake. It's a Girling caliper [think Jaguar/Rolls/Austin Healey] mounted on a pinion mounted brake disc attached to my driveshaft yoke. It's activated by a Wilwood master cylinder hooked to an early 30s ford park brake handle. Yeah, yeah I know hydraulic park brakes are frowned on but I love it because I can "pump it up" if it doesn't work on the first pump.
    34parkbrake6.jpg 34parkbrake.jpg

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hadn’t thought about it before but if that disc is out of round or balance would you feel the vibration like an in balanced driveshaft?

Or do you pretty much nix that hy putting the disc behind the joint?

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  20. As close to the flange as it is, it'd have to be pretty out of balance to notice, I'd think. I dunno, Tim, I never really thought about it. We'll see, won't we? And pretty soon, too!

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hell yes we will!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I enjoyed seeing the dash plaques on your tool box. Car Killers and the green 37 Chevy coupe. He still owns it. Unchanged and in great shape.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Heck,I'm even getting exited seeing you this close to the finish line!.

I realize it won't be finished but running and driving. HRP

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Now you have me hooked.
    Your fulfilling my dream.
    Go man go. Looks great.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think running and driving is about as finished as it’s getting other than using it to smash bugs at high speed!

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Parking brake is now operational. Gotta re-stab the engine/tranny and get the body back on. I can almost smell the tires burnin! Supposed to be in the mid-high 70s for wed and thurs. and then..............3 inches of snow for the weekend. Oh, crap.

lothiandon1940, Tim and loudbang like this.
  27. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Looking good. We should be starting to get into Winter here but today has been extremely hot and not usual for April here. Makes it hard working on projects.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Really the weathers not an entirely bad thing.

The good weather will get you fired up to put in some long hours getting it put back together.

The bad weather will slow you down enough to make sure you bolted the seat down before you take a sideways ride around the block!

brEad and loudbang like this.
  29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Our April has been unusual hot windy and dusty when it should be getting cold. I can only agree good weather and project progress is a great thing.

30. scoop

scoop

Looking good Rocky,I might be eating my words huh?

loudbang likes this.