Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. We'll see, Scott.
    Hanging the motor to install flywheel/clutch. I was able to get an 11" disc up inside but I'm greedy...I want to use my 11.75" disc that came with my pressure plate but it needs a little trim.....center hub hits the back of the crank and it's too fat to get up in the hole. If I trim/grind 3/16ths [marked in red] off the hub it'll fit. Mrs Rocky is sleeping up in the bedroom [above the garage] so this noisy job will have to wait 'till tomorrow but I most definitely see light at the end of the tunnel!
    To be continued: 34enginehangin.jpg 34clutchdisc.jpg

brad2v, low budget, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  2. Clutch problem solved, motor/trans in the chassis. Notice clutch and brake pedals are sticking up in the photo. They're working perfectly! I was afraid I may have gotten the pedal ratio wrong for the clutch but I can work it with only hand power...works as it should and smoothly. Same with brakes. I also replaced some brake lines I wasn't happy with and made some front motor mount "insulators".
    Uh, I totally trashed the little garage to the max [worked 10 hours] and now Mrs Rocky wants me to spend Sunday with her. Guess I'll clean up my mess Monday.Oh, and my Girling park brake caliper [the one on the ear end pinion] leaks. I'll be looking for a rebuild kit for it soon.
    34reassembly1.jpg 34reassembly2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    ls1yj, 47ragtop, Gotgas and 9 others like this.
  3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work as always Rocky! Looks like you are making good progress! This will be a mean coupe

loudbang likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I hear it rumbling away in my head already :)

loudbang likes this.
  5. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you can just feel it coming

loudbang likes this.
  6. Jeez Rocky....just another old guy playing with his Lincoln Logs.

There's the pot calling the kettle black,,,,huh?

Looking like a REAL hot rod.

loudbang likes this.
  7. bobkentourage.jpg Jeeze Charlie. It almost feels like the boys are over at my garage cheering me on. A good feeling.
    [

8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just between us Mods..... no special treatment....don't put a IFS on it or else a delete of the whole 9 year build !!! :eek:

Plus only on yours if you bag it / don't take a picture / don't show anybody or tell anybody...... or it's gonzo...:)

Have to bust em' on ya.
    Bwhaaa Rock... funny of course :D

Keep going....HAMB drags...remember.

ls1yj and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Well, Cob......I guess I'm gonna have to change all my plans. I was planning to send off to Morrison to get one of their chassis with wiggly suspension on both ends and swap the body off for a 'glass 3 window. Got an LS motor and 4L65 for it to go with the fully independent billet 9" third member. Should I go with imported leather or "gunny sack" interior?

Yo Mama!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    wingnutz, ls1yj, slim38 and 3 others like this.
  10. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Interior ..... rope belts with milk crates.

To the rest of our fellow HAMB members, Mods have to cut loose with each other once and a while.

lothiandon1940 and cactus1 like this.
  12. yup...Cob is the tall one with the yellow hat. corcobcoupehemibuy_2001.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

The goofy looking one? Who's the other goofy looking one? ;)

Bandit Billy, loudbang and Petejoe like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You know, just because.

15. Jeff....I shall not dignify that question with an answer...
    Tim...thanks for the old video. Hope to hear it running again soon.

loudbang and Dick Stevens like this.
  16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The giggle at the end gets me....

See you in August, -Abone.

Stogy, Tim and loudbang like this.
  17. Cruised down to Speedway and scored a 2.25" exhaust "kit" with 90, 45 degree bends and 4, 48 inch straight pieces. Nice stuff. Got the driver's side done as far as the muffler. Glad I have a cut-off saw. I mig welded all the joints except the ones I need to install/remove the system. Not sure what I'm gonna do about tail pipes but a pair of megaphones are not out of the question. Always liked that look. Behold............ 34exhaust.jpg

brEad, cactus1, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  18. Mufflers are a pair of old Edelbrock RPM series chambered stainless mufflers. 34mufflers.jpg

brEad, tb33anda3rd, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Rock - mufflers... take 5 minutes and listen to the music...drums !!!!!
    It fits.
    Keep going.......

20. You guys are having way too much fun.:D;)

lothianwilly71 and loudbang like this.
  21. Yeah, it's true.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I can actually hear you saying “behold” haha super stoked on this thing coming to life man

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

24. OK, I took Sunday off to spend with Mrs Rocky and to work on my house...springtime stuff, you know like spending over $130 for lawn fertilizer, weed 'N feed, crabgrass preventer, leaf bags etc etc etc...but Saturday I got the other side of the exhaust done from the engine to the mufflers...and I ordered one of those long driveshaft slip yokes from Summit. Yeah, I blew it when I measured for my driveshaft so now I need that long slip yoke. Sigh....a 60 dollar mistake. Better to catch it now than blow off the extension housing of my muncie trans.
    ....and I found the top leaf of my front spring, now that I've got the front spring all ground, wirebrushed, painted and installed. That's ok....I really need to make up a 1" spacer between the crossmember and the spring. It sits just a leetle bit too low in front.
    34exhaust3.jpg

brad2v, 47ragtop, Tim and 4 others like this.
  25. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocky I feel your pain on the driveshaft. I "may" have gotten my drive shaft an 1/8" too long so I may have to see if I can have that much taken off the end of the yoke for some relief. Not sure as I just got the car running and haven't been out on the road yet.

loudbang likes this.
  26. If my new yoke is too long I'm just going to use my chop saw to get the desired length. No biggy.

loudbang likes this.
  27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you order the wrong parts, the yokes on you.

-Abone.

wingnutz, loudbang and GordonC like this.
  28. atch

atch

ouch! That one hurt.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Groan.

loudbang and Tim like this.
  30. Mrs Rocky left to have lunch with the girls and I went out to the garage to make up muffler hangers. I used what I had lying around...some new shock mount rubbers, a hunk of 3/16ths I found on the street one day and after measuring, welding, drilling and eyeballing, VIOLA! I had made 1 of 4 hangers. It's solid but not too solid as to transmit vibrations into the car. Only 3 more to do and the 1st only took me about 4 hours!
    Afterward I realized I hadn't gotten dressed...I did all this shit in my shorts, slippers and a T-shirt.....yes, it was my "beater" 1st generation black hamb shirt. 34mufflerhanger.jpg

Stogy, GordonC, Dick Stevens and 4 others like this.