Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Right you are, Trent!

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

word.

3. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

rocky,i was looking at your pictures and saw that you had the floor panel on top of the subrail.on a 34 roadster we are working on,the floor is below the subrail.i don't know how much it will affect it,but you may want to look at that.

here are some pictures that may help you.feel free to contact me if i can help.

-danny

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Uptown83

Uptown83

I guess the body would sit a hair lower now since you put the floor on top of the subrail but you can see that he has the bolt through the frame and subrail on the side of the frame like its suppose to have. So it might be fine. I would bet it is.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hahahahahahaha...works for Dan and I...I'm never wrong...!!!

R-

6. We put the floor on top of the subrail for a very important reason that's so classified I really can't go into it....very hush-hush so don't spread it around, ok? Shhhhhhhhhhh....
    But thanks a ton for the photos...I was not aware there was a floor/b pillar gusset. My car is an old race car and as such, there's a lotta stuff like that missing. I'll whip up a pair of those babys....thanks again.

7. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Danny,

I just came across this, and those photos are exactly what I needed to put the floor in a 34 roadster.. Thankyou!
    whats the story with that car? wood doors? could it be an australian car exported back to you?

8. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I am in need of these braces, are these origional or can I order thes post....If not, I will just make them...really want the stock look. PM me or just post here. thanx ~E

Attached Files:

9. GRADY

GRADY

WOW
    Looking awesome Rocky
    you going to be able to get away for Back to the Fifties this year?
    keep up the good work
    grady

10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Rocky, those gussets are roadster only. Coupes didn't need them since the roof keeps the top of the post from moving around.

11. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Hmmm Sounds Delicious...

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Rocky, Good to see some progress on the coupe. Think you'll get to drive it this summer? Just a quick "round the block" would be just the ticket to keep the juices flowing over the winter.

Frank

13. Double ditto to what Frank said....

Keep at it, one of these day's I'll find that 3 window...

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

14. vwhabit

vwhabit

WOW! Body work being done! Excellent!
    Driving target date yet?

15. jangleguy

jangleguy

To quote our wise old father, "Sheeeit! That engine ain't got enough gow to pull a sick whore off a pisspot!"

16. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

Straight30weight likes this.
  17. Got some great stuff done last night. My new doors came in and I had 'em hot tanked to see just how good/bad they are. They have some light dent/rust damage and will require inner and outer door bottoms but hey, where do you find cherry 34 ford coupe doors?
    We tacked the doors in place to establish correct cowl/door molding lines and began fitting the quarters to the car. As was said earlier, the new SAR quarters are for roadsters and are about 1.5" longer than coupe doors so we had to "trim" them at the door jamb...I was about ready to shit, watching Jimmy cut into my brand new 1/4 panels but he's a pro...knows his shit and I'm just his helper at this point. BTW, the SAR parts are very, very nice and they have all the body lines in the correct places..makes it fairly simmple to trim them to fit. We got the driver's side fitted and tacked into place....got about 80% of the passengers side done before it got late. Next friday, we finish up the passenger quarter and by then the top should be outta the hot tank...ready to begin fitting it. It's slowly beginning to look like a real 34 ford coupe body!

Attached Files:

18. The important part was to get the body lines to line up. We can adjust door gaps later on and we gotta install new door bottoms so we can adjust door bottom to rocker gaps then... here's a little look at the misalignment of the gaps at the bottom of the passenger door...all adjustable later but by God, we got those damn door lines lined up!

Attached Files:

19. I busied myself punching holes in the inner trunk piece so we can rosette weld it to the trunk floor when it's time..damn! I love all this shiny new metal!

Attached Files:

20. My body guy, Jimmy is a perfectionist and as such it takes him a long time to get his customer's cars done and out the door.....means he has very time to play with his own stuff but he has been taking soem time to put together a shop truck of his own. He's NEVER put his name on any of his personal vehicles but he had his shop name put on the back window. When he FINALLY gets the pickup box done, it's gonna be a super nice truck.

Attached Files:

21. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

rocky... this is gonna be a nice one... keep up the rad work. I keep looking for updates! Nice to see the progress... man o man I'm excited for you.

22. Thanks, Jeff.....each Friday I get a little more excited too. Wish I had more time to work on it.

23. chopping the top and installing it is next....should be out of the dip tank by this coming Friday to begin the installation. Jimmy said he'll be using an old corvair top for an insert...here's how the top looks today

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  24. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

25. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I think that I live in a cave sometimes, this is the first that I have seen of this build. It is looking very nice and looking forward to the next update.

26. Puttered around on my 46 chevy pickup in the parking lot for awhile and I came in the shop and helped my bodyman take the cut-off 34 top down from the rafters and we placed it on top of the body....supported by the door-tops. The doors are from a 4 door sedan. Neither of us had a clue the 4 door front doors were almost 2 inches taller than coupe doors. I just thought the door tops had a little different angle at the back of the tops but nope, they're also taller. I used my hokey-ass cell phone [forgot my digital tonight] to record the goofy looking top. This baby is "anti-chopped!".
    The top takes a little trip through the stripping vat this coming week and we'll get really serious finishing up mounting the 1/4 panels and chopping/mounting the top.

Attached Files:

27. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

oh... hell.... yeah!

28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Wow it's coming together fast, looks great.
    Mat

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Rocky, this thread I began sometime ago has some discussion about using four door doors on a five window coupe, and the modification that are required. They will work. Looks like you are making great progress!33-34 Ford coupe bodies - THE H.A.M.B.