Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Been awhile since I've posted...colds and flu, weddings, weekend trips all conspired to keep me away until tonight. Nothin to photograph as we set up the grille/hood/cowl gaps and bolted the walker radiator in place to see if I could use a flat crossmember and to whip up lower radiator mounts as mine were removed when I got the frame. I bought a flat crossmember from Paul Horton's "welder series"...its complete but comes unwelded. Looks like I'll be able to use it and I'll realize another inch and a half drop from it....takes some work but it's a lot thicker than the old stocker and hasn't been subjected to 76 years of metal fatigue...
    Made a decision to get my windshield frame chromed too..and possibly getting the front axle plated as well after I drill the shit out of it...

2. My 33 hood top finally arrived. It replaces a 34 hood top that didn't jive with my 33 grille at all. We mocked up the radiator/grille/hood/new flat crossmember to all work together. We dropped the crossmember down a little to gain lower radiator hose clearance with some pie slices and welded it back together...got 1/4 inch clearance.
    We made a little 3/16ths spacer to get the back of the hood up where it's supposed to be. It fits great now.
    I got the 34 chevy hoodsides back from the strippers and we put them up on the hood with clecos. Took photos with my shitty phone camera but you get the idea. I LOVE the chevy hoodsides on this car! Jimmy's gonna stitch 'em in this coming week.
    WE mocked up the radiator/grille to get an idea where my missing lower radiator mounts should be. Next week we fab up a nice pair of mount brackets for the radiator.
    Engine [347 Poncho bored to 370] is going together in my garage as I have time. Mocking it up to check piston/valve clearance as I'm using early Jahns pop-up pistons with late Pontiac heads...gotta double check this shit.
    A great thing happened to me last week......some of you know I've been scouring the world in search of a decent pair of door tops. Mine are peppered with rust holes and basically unusable. A buddy had told me over a year ago he "MIGHT have a pair left over from his old 34 sedan project" that was sold off years ago. I'd completely forgotten about it when he happens by the body shop with a pair of door tops with zero rust and no dents!!!!!and he laid 'em on me for free!!!! I had them dipped and stripped and here's a photo of them. They're perfect for my project. God is good, man...this entire project has gone like this. Every time I need something for the build, it just materalizes like magic...no shit.
    I never thought I'd ever own a 33-34 ford, let alone one with so many cool parts!

Attached Files:

3. I love it. It looks fan-funkin'-tastic!

4. The car that will define Rocky........................or Rocky will define it?! Nice man, miss ya!

5. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Lookin' really good Rocky!

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Looking great Rocky. The '34 Chevy hood side are perfect.

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

coming along nicely. I am collecting the parts to build a 34 five window using Steve's quarter panels so am following your build with great interest.

8. It's fairly straightforward. I think I've covered everything we had to do to get them to fit the coupe body.

9. sololobo

sololobo

Rocky, great touch with those super cool Chevy hood sides. Very nice lookin progress, keep up the good work. ~Sololobo~

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Any updates, Rocky? It's looking really good in the last photos!!

Haven't seen you for quite a while!!

Nick

11. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

fords just are'nt rite without chevy parts .cool ride

12. Got some great stuff done lately....brought the car down off the frame table and onto a cart that's easier to work on. Got the passenger side door top tacked on along with the filler piece in the pass. side of the top.
    Brought an old 61 Corvair top in the shop and cut the center out of it. Laid it up on the coup and the curve is perfect! Was too damn hot and humid to do any more.....quit early and came home to the A/c.

Attached Files:

13. Getting soft at your advanced age? Looks great man!

14. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I'm highly jealous but very happy for you. To me, a chopped 34 Ford coupe is the ultimate hot rod. I've been chasing one here for months. Yours is looking awesome.

15. Thank yew...after seeing some of my buddies my age get sick and die, I thought it was time to go straight to the top of my list...should have done it years ago.

16. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Hey rock, keep up the great progress. I love it, cant wait to start my 33 project

17. Just got back from the HAMB drags and while I was gone Jimmy fit the new top skin and stitched it in...it's only roughed-in and needs to be finished but here are a few photos he sent to my cell phone...damn! I'm gettin excited!

Attached Files:

18. Look out Jersey Suede!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That chop is perfect.

20. Thanks, Jeffery...we debated long and hard regarding that chop. I wanted a 4 inch chop. Jimmy argued it would make the top look squashed and thought a 3 inch chop would be better...we settled on a 3.5" chop. I'm happy with it.

21. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Looks great,sorry I missed ya at the drags

22. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

That's the shit right there. Garage night Thursday at my house if you can make it.

23. Damn. That looks amazing! I am jealous.

24. Jimmy get his car on the road? The one I helped with ;)

25. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

glad you chopped that thing. Looks good..

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Rocky, that lid is looking really good. Things are really shaping up now. Nice work!

27. BELLM

BELLM

Awesome car. Can't wait to see it finished!

28. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Man that looks good Rocky, love the chop. Good to see you at the drags. Gary

29. He hasn't got any of his projects on the road yet...too busy with customer cars

30. Thanks, Dick...We usually have Thrusday nite reserved but if I can get away I'll try to make it...love to see your place.