Register now to get rid of these ads!

Progress on my Tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Probesport, Mar 3, 2010.

1. I started on this build over the winter and I think it's finally making some progress so I am anxious to show it off a bit. I know this may not exactly be everybody's cup of tea on here but a great deal of you have been inspiration, support and technical knowledge - and I thank you for it.

This has been a great deal of fun so far working with my kids and my good buddy John (who is also building a rod in my garage as well at the same time). This is definitely the most intense build I have evern done, especially with this little car to start with and an almost non-existent budget. I am hoping to have it on the road by Summer with paint & interior probably happening next winter so I can have a little fun driving it so it will probably get into primer for the time being unless I end up ahead of schedule for some crazy reason.

I am getting into the body work this wekeend with patch panels and starting on the inner structure. I have been making alot of my parts so that is taking a bit longer than expected. I was hoping to have the body on weeks ago.

They say pictures say a thousand words so on with the show;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Nice progress...love it.

3. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Great job...Sedans are my favorite.. Keep us updated...

4. Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go a two tone red/black color scheme once I get to that point.

I started some patching last night, hope to get most of that tacked into place tonight/tomorrow.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm not a big fan of putting a SBC in everything, but your's looks really damn nice. Nice aqua color.
    I like the whole car, BTW

6. I didn't search out the SBC, and I wouldn't have but it's just one of those things that happens. I had a working SBC and TH350 so I did the best with what was available.

7. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

How much did you shorten it?...got a pic of the side profile?...

8. Shortened 18.5", Chopped 4". I attached a fairly side shot, i am not sure if I have anything dead-on side view.

Attached Files:

9. 416Ford

416Ford

Looks like you did real well for "almost non-existent budget." and one winter.
    What are you doing for the rear wheel wells since you cut them in half? Are you removing them completely?

10. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

It looks great. I like the proportions of the body to the frame to the motor, it works. You've made a slightly too big sedan, just the right size.

11. farmer12

farmer12

Great progress! Keep them pics coming!

12. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

nice work....................................................sweet and good look

13. Thanks, less money definitely means more creativity :D. I will have to recreate the wheel wells, I want it to look "as if it came that way" so a shaped cut in well is a necessity.

I agree, once the size and chop was done we realized the measurements were right. It looked well proportioned and not a cartoon - which was the biggest fear. It looks correct to me, like I got it that way.

14. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

looks good

im diggin the engine color

15. doctorZ

doctorZ

it looks great. what is over that alternator?!

16. It's actually a bit more green in person, it's Detroit Diesel Alpine Green.

A belt guard form a late 70's Volvo. I saw it at the yard and picked up the piece with no idea what I would use it for, just thought it was cool lookin :)

17. doctorZ

doctorZ

i'll be damned. it looks good on there. definitely grabbed my attention.

18. Thanks, I think it really helps distract you from the modern 10si.

19. Big Tony

Big Tony

Nicely done... can't wait for more progress post

20. tony31a

tony31a

Nice work. Thats an interesting steering setup what is the box from?

21. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Looks good man keep it up. Oh and where did you get your wheels and tires from and what size are they? Thanks

22. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Nice ride ! I like the "Vicky" look !! Keep a goin' ...

23. From what I have been told it's a Falcon/Mustang/Cougar/Maverick/Comet steering box...

I actually got them off of craigslist, I don't recall the actual tire sizes of hand but they are 15"

24. I'm subscribing. This is gonna be COOL!!

25. Just a couple updates, I started on building the floor and such...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just the rough outline, I still have to make a tunnel and driveshaft loop and of course start attaching the body to it after I reinforce that a bit more.

26. Mode chop re-attaching, cowl section put back together

[​IMG]

27. 65 impala

65 impala

keep on truckin looks good

28. Floor attached to the body, doors unwelded and sheetmetal repair started. A lot of pics btu I figured I would show the door repair process. First time I have done this so I learned a bit along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. No new pics but I started on the other door over the break, need to get the cowl patches done then I am going to take a break from the body to hash out pedals and steering.

30. 416Ford

416Ford

Probesport, pick up some weldable primer and spray the inside of those door supports while you have the skin off. It's cheep enough to and gives piece of mind.