Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Professional Mechanics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Oct 10, 2019.

1. 4 10s is good, however craming all the stuff you didn’t or couldn’t do into your day off isn’t a day off.
    Some of The medical profession is on 3 12s routine. 3 on 4 off or They can pack them up Work 6 12s get 8 days off.

VANDENPLAS and Old wolf like this.
  2. I was born to be a shade tree mechanic! yesterday I am proud to let you know I completed my complete clutch job and then heated and beat the heads off the bolts that were holding the rusted brake cylinders! because professional mechanics taught how much they love my wallet! LOL!

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hey Truck Doctor Andy, what did you do?

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Wrench97

Wrench97

A year + late but yes and yes, I was a fleet mechanic for a major LTL freight carrier for 35 years retiring last year, I'm now a shop foreman for a shop I started working for in 1974......................the original owners grandson has it now and is great with customers but needs help on the mechanical end works out great for both of us.

5. Well Guys, I’m still at the same place. Some big changes have been made and I’m happy with what has happened. So for right now, I’m the Lead Technician and top dog here. I will keep my fingers crossed and try to stay positive. Thanks for all of the responses everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock, mrhp, Boneyard51 and 4 others like this.
  6. I actually met the Colonel Sanders in 1962, when he was promoting his first franchise in Vancouver BC. He was quite a character, and he always dressed just the way it showed on the commercials.
    His true success story began after he retired.
    Bob

7. Deuces

Deuces

That was funny!!!... :D

Wrench97 and VANDENPLAS like this.

8. that’s great!!! One thing I can add is “ the grass is not always greener on the other side “

worked at a bunch of different shops over the years in automotive and some paid great but the environment was shit, shit management shit mechanics etc.
    Worked at one place it was bbq everyday for lunch and a beer fridge in the shop! Made no money but it was fun for a while.
    When I got in with this forklift place it was ( including me and the owner ) 5 people too to bottom.
    The owner is a very savvy business man, brought in a partner and in the last 4 years or so we have grown to 45 employees I’m lead tech/ shop foreskin/ tech support sales support the guy that turns on the lights and flushes the toilets !!!!
    I still wrench in stuff but it’s not my 8 hour gig anymore. Sometimes if you can see a light at the end of the tunnel it’s worth sticking around as that light can get pretty bright.
    I’ve been offered jobs at other places and politely turn them down as the grass is pretty green here.

scary thing is when we get old and grey and all you guys who are old n grey retire . Who’s gonna fix our stuff ?

Attached Files:

j-jock and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-12-10_4-29-20.png

Hello,

In 1959, my brother had this great idea. Since we liked auto mechanics, had a nice car that we maintained and had future plans for the both of us. At the time, there were no college plans other than just going to please our parents. We heard it all of time: “You are going to college…” it was for my brother, first, then, the tirade started on me.

During high school, my future plans were to be a touring surfing professional. All expenses paid by surf manufacturers and surf shops. With additional funds provided by my parents. Ha, when I told them that, the laughter continued for weeks.

By the time 1959 rolled into view, we were at Lion’s Dragstrip almost every Saturday since the fall of 1957. We met a lot of cool guys that knew their mechanical stuff and had plenty of information for hungry teenagers, just soaking up everything we could hear. It looked like a future in mechanics was headed our way.

Jnaki

We decided to see what we could do to start a business fixing our friends hot rods and possibly build a competitive car for the Gas Coupe and Sedan classes at Lion’s Dragstrip. The ones that were winning all of the time had cars that were well built and we knew we could do the same.

But, my brother decided that if we did start a build, parts would be expensive and we needed a business of some kind to get a great discount on purchases. We could continue to buy from Reath Automotive and the other local shops, but, we could get the stuff for ourselves with a business license. But, sometimes, Reath Automotive, being larger and in the highest level of discount warehouse prices, it was easier to buy parts from them for our build.

So, we decided to start the Precision Racing Engines idea. Not a full speed shop, with stocked parts, displays and such. It really was a backyard garage with hot rod parts, but building motors and associated stuff for hot rods, customs and drag racing was the main core. Not the daily/weekly/monthly auto mechanics.

The business was a success as far as we were concerned. We bought and sold plenty of parts to our friends and mostly bought stuff for our build of the 1940 Willys Coupe. We weren’t rolling in the cash, but that was not our intent. The money we saved from being a “dealer/builder” was enough for us. That allowed us to buy more go fast stuff for our own builds.
    upload_2020-12-10_4-42-37.png

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/where-were-you-in-62.722886/page-8#post-13529590 END OF P.R.E. BEGINNING OF SURF ADVENTURES
    upload_2020-12-10_4-32-19.png TO upload_2020-12-10_4-32-41.png
    A possible future look for our 671 SBC Willys Coupe finished build in 1960, prepped and ready for the U.S. Nationals
    upload_2020-12-10_4-39-18.png
    yellow: my brother's choice silver: my choice

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    charleyw likes this.