Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problems with Optima Battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model eh, May 11, 2011.

1. I bought a red top Optima in 2001 and it’s still in the car doing quite well. It’s been almost completely discharged several times ( doors left open, key left on, etc) and I just did an overnight trickle charge and BAMM! I apparent got a good one! 18 years on the same battery!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

seb fontana likes this.
  2. Randysgarage

Randysgarage

I run a small garage working with state owned fleet vehicles. I’ve replaced about 12 factory agm batteries with optima red tops and have yet to get over two years out of any of them. The oems usually go about three years. I’ve had two fail within the first week

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Remember when a Sears DieHard battery had the reputation for the "best" battery? People were reporting long lasting experiences.... then DieHards (not DieHard's) turned to poo. The latest is, of course, Optima. Great battery for quite a while and then poo. Does the manufacturer change the lead chemistry to squeeze more profit? Something changes to make the battery go from sweet to poo.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Jones St.

Jones St.

Where is the store/web site for these?

5. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Optima is another example of a great product that went the way of the cost reduction goons. The Japanese automotive industry made it popular and it has caught on in nearly every product we buy. Its a bad system especially when your technical/ engineering people don't know when to stop. I bought a Wheel Horse lawn tractor in 1986 and with just a little wear and good maintenance it will last me until my last mow. Do you think any products are made today that will last a life time? None come to mind for me. Down with the cost cutters they are the worst.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Deka is another name for East Penn batteries, if that helps. They make a lot of them for other brands. The better NAPA line batteries, for example.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

nothing ruins the look of an otherwise traditional detailed engine compartment than one of those ugly optima batteries....

5window, rust runner and Truck64 like this.
  8. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I agree, China killed a good product. Killed a few of mine before their time. 2 and 4 years was it!

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

New Castle used to make exact reproduction batteries. Not phony cases wrapped around an Optima, genuine lead-acid batteries. They were shipped "damp dry" and filled them with battery acid purchased locally. They went out of business sadly. Sure wish I could find another one, just because.

Moriarity likes this.