Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Problems with Grundy insurance...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gator, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Gimpy can you clarify that? Do you mean, for instance, if you have a new built car registered as a vintage car? Say you have a Brookfield body on an new chassis, but you somehow titled it and registered it as a 32 Ford? Watching ads I see that a lot, a new steel or fiberglass bodies car registered as a vintage car. Isn't that what Boyd got nailed for doing?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.

100% new cars are not vintage cars.

Some states will allow new titling, as what it appears; however, if you put a vintage serial number, on a new car, you have committed a felony.

3. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

blues4u, you are correct about Boyd being taken to task on the Ship of Thesus issue and he did plead guilt to the charge in 2005. But really, isn't that what every hotrodder is doing ? At what point does a car built to look like a 32 ford stop being a 32 ford ? Or a 32 ford that gets mod'ed by various owners over the years stop being a 32 ford ? Or one buys a 2x4 inch piece of steel with a number on it that matches a title sold with the piece of steel and then proceeds to buy newly manufactured parts or fabricate from new steel the likeness of the 32 ford written on the purchased title? Then with title in hand registers the vehicle as a 32 ford. Is such a car a 32 ford and entitled to requirements / benefits of that year of manufacture?
    It would seem that California says not, or did some legislator.gov just have issue with Boyd? Other states are different on this issue. Fact is that there are more 32 fords on the planet today than Henry ever manufactured that year? What about the guy in Texas that bought all the parts left over from John Delorean's run and will sell you a 1983 model with title?

4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Be sure to mention that you think they are too invasive in their requirements for personal info and that you have been reading bad comments about them on the internet from their previous customers. That will get them thinking a little about the fact that when they screw people, the internet allows them to spread the bad news these days.

5. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

I don't know how many times it can be said. IT DEPENDS ON YOUR STATE LAWS. Some states let you title a new Brookville body and frame as a 1932. Other states it would be a 2019 Specially Constructed Vehicle (SCV) and need to meet all 2019 requirements. Either way the state will issue a new replacement VIN (Blue Sticker). When does a frame repair become a new frame? Your state law covers that.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Insurance policies are written by attorneys in legal ease , legal ease is interpreted by attorneys , subject to what's best for their client ( insurance companies) are you beginning to understand this racket yet ???

7. Got Grundy on my cars, a few claims, never a problem and very affordable, the last car I insured with them was my funny car (street driven), they didn't bat an eye and insured it, I sent them the pics of the build, they knew what it was.
    IMG_9803.jpg

8. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I am going thru the same issue, moved from nebraska to colorado in april. have had them for 7 yrs but still wanted all the extra documentation & new pics of car itself. I understand the pics of it an the garage, but nothing else has changed in regards to daily drivers.