Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problems with Classified Buyers

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Fat47, Sep 28, 2011.

1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

EASY SOLUTION Muttley
    In your ad - CLEARLY STATE again emphasis CLEARLY STATE

MY TERMS ARE
    If you want it - post "I'll take it" and send me a PM with your payment information.....
    If you don't send me your payment information in 24 - 48 hours ( you pick how long)...
    then your "I'll take it" is null and void and is for sale to the next guy who wants it.

Problem solved - you control your terms - they don't follow them - they really don't want to buy your item for sale.

As a moderator - the excuses for people who buy stuff and don't send money or people who sell stuff - get paid and don't ship it - is getting worse all the time and to buy or sell here is a privledge and not a right and now basically when I catch wind with me you have 72 hours to ship your item (with tracking number) or 72 hours to pay some one or your done. If you want to stay - sell/ship it... buy / pay for it. Deals should be done in a week to 10 days at most. If it takes longer than that - don't sell here or buy here is how I pretty much look at it.

STATE YOUR TERMS MUTTLEY AND STICK TO THEM and people will know you don't take bullshit excuses.

Cob

2. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Muttley, the status that shows what a person is doing is not always in real-time. Meaning, someone may log out but it takes a while to update their status. So, it may say they are on-line, but they aren't. That or they are still logged in but off grunting one out, beating the dog, who knows.

HopFrog, Ebay is not allowed here. Never will be.

As the Boss said, dealing with Alliance Members only is as secure as it's going to get.

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Quote MotherTrucker

"It starts to get shady when the Alliance member who posted the For Sale ad & the REAL seller are not the same person & even more shady when they want the Pay Pal payment to go to someone that is neither the HAMB Alliance member or the actual seller of the parts."

If a HAMB member - is letting a non HAMB member use the HAMB Classifieds to advertise parts under their name - they are resposible for the deal if the deal with a seller or buyer goes bad.

Your name is on it - so I would make damn sure the deal is clean.

Cob

4. Muttley

Muttley

Maybe, but if you look at someones profile it gives the exact time they signed out of their previous session. For example, your profile currently says your last activity was "Today 09:39 PM"..............if a pm was sent to you twenty minutes before that theres no excuse for not replying to it, especially if you have a deal in the works. Check your PM's before signing out or I'll hunt you down, staple your eyelids open and force you to watch Fast & Furious on a continuous 24 hour loop until you comply with my demands. :p :D ;)

5. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I never sign out, and I was on as late as 11:30. Posted a classified at at 11:24 PM.

A perfect science it ain't.

6. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Such exciting lives we live Brother Mod Rashy......
    Your wife and my wife prolly crash at 10PM to get sleep before work in the morning and were still playing HAMB late at night with a lot less sleep.
    mmm ha ha ha
    Funny thing, now my wife if I get in her way says why don't you go HAMB or something.:)

7. I have bought and sold on more than one occasion here on the hamb and I can't complain,I kinda follow Ryan's suggestion of dealing with Alliance Members or make sure the guy I'm dealing with has been here more than a few weeks,,a lot more!

I don't deal with guys that just use the hamb to sell parts,,I check out the profile if I'm not familiar with the seller.

Fortunately,I have experienced good luck with the classifieds and feel as though we all are adults and have to take responsibility for our own actions,,selling/buying parts on the hamb is perk of membership.

Personally,I would like to see an Alliance Members only classifieds added. HRP

8. Muttley

Muttley

Weather you sign out or not is irrelevant, if you step away from your computer while logged in to the HAMB it logs you off without signing you out after a certain period of time.

Thats why you should strive for perfection, the people of the HAMB demand it. :p :D

9. My dos centavos
    Thanks to the HAMB I have been able to liquidate some if my brothers estate items, 100% success and used some cash to buy alliance membership and take the wife to Maui to chill and recover from his suicide.
    Gut check is everything and don't bet the farm on a classified sale.
    Ryan has given us an opportunity to help each other let's hope we ALL remember that.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've been giving a lot of thought to this actually...

11. Great idea.

12. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one... even though the seller did cuss me up and down afterwards.

13. banditomerc

banditomerc

The guys i have bought stuff from on this site have been straight up.One guy sent me the part before he received the money order.#1,check their profile.#2speak to them on the phone and request pics. To date i am batting 100% obtaining parts i need for my build from fellow Hambers.Lucky i guess.

14. RichG

RichG

Not just Alliance Members, but also requiring a minimum number of posts before allowing you access to the classifieds... and banning people for trying to run the number up without really contributing, just so they can use the classifieds.

15. 117harv

117harv

Being an alliance member doesn't allways mean the deal will be a good one. A new member will join and become one a few weeks after joining, and that may not mean he is straight up. Being an alliance member does give you some recourse though, as Ryan will help if a deal goes sour.

Many, many members here have a good name and track record and aren't alliance members. I tend to trust those who participate on a regular basis, and have been here awhile. Like banditomerc a couple posts above, member since 05, as well many others, the senior or old school HAMBer title carries alot of clout with me...jmo.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  16. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

There used to be a rule, you had to have 10 posts before you could post in the classifieds.

It was a manual thing and it SUCKED enforcing it.

17. pumpman

pumpman

I'm quite sure an Alliance only classified ad section would mean more work for you Ryan, but that would be the cats ass in my opinion.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No, it would mean ALOT less work....

19. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

It would also mean a lot less ads...

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep...

21. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Less ads would suck. I bought a set of 34 garnish mouldings from a guy with ONE post. Yes, it was a gamble, but I really needed those mouldings...

If only Allliance guys had ad privledges, I would still be looking for a set of mouldings.

See ya, -Abone.

22. Possibly not Jeff,,if their was an Alliance Members only section added to the existing classifieds. HRP

23. silent rick

silent rick

i wouldn't want to limit the stuff i sell just to alliance members. i would post in both sections.
    just because a guy isn't an alliance member doesn't make him a bad person. maybe he doesn't have the scratch to become a member but desperately needs the part i or another member might have listed.
    he might also have a part that an alliance member might need but if we deny him use of the classifieds, nobody benefits.

24. If Ryan undecided's it's worth while he will add it.:) HRP

25. 117harv

117harv

Well said..X2.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Of course not.

The chances of the classifieds becoming alliance only are probably pretty slim... But I do think its important for folks to understand that it is a lot easier to police a deal gone wrong between alliance members. For one, I have verified contact info for each.

27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This topic wouldn't be a discussion if both buyers and sellers would honor their deals in a timely manner - like two weeks or less to complete.

The excuses / reasons of why one can not fulfill their part of the deal just doesn't cut it anymore.

Pay for what you bought, ship what you sold. Can't live with those terms, best not to post it for sale and best not to buy it if you can't.

Only a few screw it up for others , so for those who have pending deals hanging out there on both buying and selling - your time is up.

Your status is about to change soon.

Cob
    Classifeds Moderator

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  28. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I don't see how an Alliance only section would work in conjunction with the regular sections.

Look at these options...

1. A new Alliance Members section, in addition to the sections we have now. That is more policing to keep things on track. Just because an Alliance Member posts an ad doesn't mean they followed the rules, in fact, some Alliance Members seem to feel they bought the right to bend/break the rules. Not so.

2. How would one Alliance Member section work? All cars, parts, misc for sale and wanted in one section? I don't think so. So it would mean 4 new sections, duplicating the ones we already have. That is a helluva lot more work.

3. Alliance Members only allowed to post in the classifieds? Well, this would be the easiest. If you aren't in the Alliance member User Group, you just don't get the button to post. I think this will kill the Classifieds. You will still get Non-Alliance members buying and selling things via PM.

Personally, I think it's a lot of verbiage over nothing, again. People need to be smarter than they are, no rules or special sections are going to fix that. I mean, come on, when a dude posts that he lost 500. because he sent money to a guy and never got parts, and has no recourse BECAUSE HE NEVER EVEN GOT THE GUYS INFO, well, they have a million sayings for actions like that. I'll let you pick your favorite one.

My vote would be to leave it like it is, stick with what Ryan said, we can only police deals between alliance members, and move on.

29. silent rick

silent rick

that's funny. i like it though.

30. I have to agree with Curious Rash.

and I'll add ...
    Buyer's... Do your homework before you shell out the money!
    Seller's... Don't send until you get the money!

I have followed these simple rules for years, they work. If I don't get a timely responce then I move on. If the buyer has no history, such as a f.n.g., then I'll generally skip them. Of course it will depend on the amount of money involved, I'm more apt to gamble a little on a $20.00 item.

It works for me...