Register now to get rid of these ads!

problem with my rebuilt olds 324 heads and some goodies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skunk victim, Aug 9, 2008.

1. i got my heads machines at a local shop last year and never got around to putting the valves in until now. the problem is the exhaust valve stems sit almost 1/8 of an inch lower than the intake resulting in the body of my rocker arm hitting the retainer before the stem. intakes are perfect. exhaust are clearly not.

they are at the shop again since he said to drop it off and hed get the right vales but says they spec out the same as the original i brought him

am i slow here or something? does anyone know what the problem would be?

on the bright side of things though i picked up 2 new intakes for the 303/324 and 2 for my buddys 364 nailhead AND an old late 50s' toronto area hot rod chassis this week! check it out

Attached Files:

2. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

damn man.... share the intake wealth ! i need one!

nice stuff, good to hear he stands behind his work..not sure on the issues

3. pete324rocket

pete324rocket

It can be assumed that he installed hardened seats,allowing for the greater distance for the valve out of the head.I posted installed valve height specs a while back,he should try to get back to these values,though it will mean grinding the tips off the exhaust valves,most likely.Ilike olds but the valvetrain leaves a lot to be desired and should have been built with adjustable rockers.

4. pete324rocket

pete324rocket

Hey,I was wondering if you are still around.Had my rocker cover off the other day and was thinking of your problem. The stem end would have to be ground off or maybe the rocker is not correct.Where the end of the valve spring retainer sits never changes..my guess is the stem has be ground off tooo much.If the stem was higher,I could say valve recessed in the head...but not the case so you say.