Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Problem with Floor Mounted Lokar Shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Butch1, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Butch1

Butch1
    from Upstate NY

Hi Guys, I have installed a FLOOR MOUNTED Lokar shifter in my T-Bucket. It is installed per instructions (or at least I think it is?). I'm using a built 2 speed Powerglide that is a "manual" shifter-nothing automatic about it. Transmission works fine as I previously had a Mustang floor shifter in it. My problem is with the LOKAR I can adjust it to have park through drive in it or reverse through low in it. I can't seem to find a happy medium that catches all the gears. I feel like I am missing something here. I have adjusted the rod connecting the trans/shftr both longer and shorter but can't seem to get the whole range. Has anyone else experienced this same or like problem?

2. i think it may have to do with the angle of the shift lever on the shifter itself....i had to re-position it on the transmission mounted Lokar shifter on my `30 coupe to catch all gears

i think the installation instructions covers this?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Nailhead Jason and loudbang like this.
  3. It sounds like there is not enough throw in the shifter arm...can you either lengthen the shifter arm...or shorten the transmission shift arm?

4. Butch1

Butch1
    from Upstate NY

That's the one thing I never did try. I try it over the holidays when I work on it. Thanks!

5. Butch1

Butch1
    from Upstate NY

We made new levers on both ends with lots of adjustment in them (holes). I'll post how we make out. Thanks!

6. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I also made a arm extension. It gives it a little more throw. Lokar was no help.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  7. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

try adjusting the allen screws where the shifter mounts to the floor mount. losen screws and move the shifter at the detent point. move it forward or back slightly and retry it.

8. Shifters, shifter gates, and Trans detents are tricky and frustrating until you learn the secret.
    Paper, pencil, compass and careful measurements, A helper saves a bunch of time.
    On a lockar, rotational direction changes to linear direction and then back to rotational.

You get how a piston changes its speed along the bore? That's because the amount of motion related to crank degrees changes. Same thing with those shifters. Where the shifter arm starts
    And stops is a big player, the lengths of the arms are too.

Draw it up, make some marks, get some Popsicle sticks to be the shifter arms and you'll have it figured out in no time

9. relocating the angle of shift lever on the shifter is step 11 of the instructions that came with my Lokar shifter

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  10. Not sure on a 'glide; but the TH350, instructions mention a bell crank kit if you use the forward shifter position. All about the angles.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Butch1

Butch1
    from Upstate NY

Hi Fellas , well we finally got it to work by putting a lever on the transmission with lots of adjustment holes. Also I had mounted it poorly with the screws provided. The mechanic at the restorations shop suggested re-anchoring it and that worked. I now have a great working shifter. Thanks to everyone that contributed!

Butch1