Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problem with a Ford horn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xafalcongs, Aug 19, 2010.

1. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

I've been rewiring my Falcon with a popular "universal" street rod harness. Older Fords ran power both up and down the column to activate the horn but in the wiring harness instructions, it tells you to attach the wire marked "horn" to one of the original Ford column switch wires and then ground the other column switch wire. This apparently rewires the Ford switch to work like a GM horn switch.

Now here's my problem, I have the factory dual horns that are self grounding. When I connect the battery the horns start blowing. Has anyone run into this? Do I need to swap horns for a pair of GM horns?

--J

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

You probably need to run it through a horn relay.

3. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

Hum, the harness has a horn relay. I was curious if anyone has had a similar problem when using a universal harness in an old Ford.

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Most Fords use the horn button to close the connection on the ground side of the horn relay.

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

You circuit ain't working right. Possibly you have a short in your column wiring.

The relay should make practically ANY horn work.

Relays are wonderful inventions, but they can complicate a simple circuit.

I have put in 4 wiring harnesses of the brand you are talking about, (Rhymes with Don dances :D ) if it is wired right it WILL work.

Try unhooking the column (to troubleshoot) if the horns don't blow you know the issue is with the column.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

What animalain said... Just use the horn button to ground the relay, safer and easier...

7. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

I have the other one....the one that rhythms with 'Aimless'.

There are two wires marked "horn", one goes to the column and one to the horn. I posted a question on their forum and was told to only use one of the wires in the column and to ground the other column wire. I was to then connect the engine harness "Horn" wire to the horn. I'll check the column switch and see if there is a short in it.

8. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

LOL,,, amazing how they even use the same phraseology to describe the process...