Register now to get rid of these ads!

pro comp parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OBFB HA/GR, Jul 18, 2009.

1. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

If anybody see Pro Comp parts advertised give them a wide berth .I recently bought an Ignition set up for my flathead and have had no end of problems with it. Brand new out of the box and it had no spark , turned out to be faulty solder joints inside , after having this repaired at my own cost every time you tried to start the engine the voltage drop caused the Ignition control to go to maximum advance, 1 burnt out starter and now teeth torn off starter ring gear. So what I'm saying is this stuff is CRAP and will cause you trouble , do not buy it.

2. flatoz

flatoz

you cheap arsed , what do you expect.

didn't your tight arse radar go off at the price difference?

you can blame them but also blame yourself for trying to save a few bux.

it back fired. we've all been there, and leant the hard way.

know the feeling, done it myself. Now I stop and really think on it, as sometimes the cheap stuff costs you twice as much in the end.

hope you get it sorted.

3. rooman

rooman

The best way to light up a flathead is to get one of Bubba's deals from here in Indy. Just check to posts by people who have used his stuff.

Roo

4. And yes, a search here would have turned up more bad experiences with this brand. But hey, word to the wise for everyone else.

5. flatoz

flatoz

Or if you want someone local, try Performance ignition in Melbourne.

6. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

It's not that I'm a cheap arse , the thing was advertised as a MSD UNIT and when I contacted the seller after I had paid for it he say's they are just as good. i say horse shit.

7. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I sure I remember that they are CHINA made. Their parts are way cheaper for a good reason

8. flatoz

flatoz

and you'd be damn right.

I know a couple of guys who have run them on OHV motors and had good results. I have heard that if you swap the module for a bosch unit you will be right, but personally I'm not willing to take the risk. seems its a 50/50 chance of getting a crap part.

my suggestion is send it down to performance ignition in Melbourne. They built my flatty ignition and quite a few others and all the ones for a certain seller out of SA too. So they know flathead ignitions.

Hopefully they can sort it out for you. Mallory also doesn't have the best reputation for their electronic or points dizzy's either.

good luck. I hate chasing electronic gremlins.

9. belair

belair

As my old daddy says "it costs no more to go first class".

10. RAY With

RAY With

America is flooded with China shit. We are lucky to find any thing in this day and time American made. We went from a industrial giant to import kings of the world. Our kids and grand kids will and are paying the price.

11. 6-71

6-71

I am currently using a Procomp electronic distributor in my 6-71 blown 350.I put it in after my pertronics flamethrower II burned out.The procomp says australia on it.I dont see made in china anywhere on it.

12. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Pro-Comp, as I recall, IS Chines, but, I could be remembering wrong...Either way, I have heard COUNTLESS bad experiences with their parts...I once was considering their 429/460 cylinder heads...I looked at the price difference btwn. theirs, and other brands, and that alone scared me!
    Since then, I've heard a hundred to one bad vs. good stories...
    I'll never use 'em, sorry to hear about your problems, man...that sucks, it seems like everything I'm surrounded by today is crap, and the problem is, even when you DO pony up the big bucks, nowadays there is still no gaurantee your not just buying "name brand" garbage....

13. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Thanks for the heads up!

14. Fellas, it says Australia like a lot of things say USA on them. There may be an 'office' in Australia but that stuff is all made in China. To a price.

BTW, MSD also has things made in China - I think the boxes might be 'made in USA'

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  15. filthy frank

filthy frank

i know that the old msd boxes were made in lynwood,ca.and the electronics were made in el paso,tx.

16. Coils, starters... Actually the last MSD starter packaging I opened was a nice colourfully printed made in USA one, but the actual starter was in a nice plain white generic box inside the pretty one.