Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PRNDL for column shift and 2004R

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rittmeister, Jun 3, 2018.

1. rittmeister

rittmeister
    from texas

Hi ya,lol. Posted a while back about my trans issues with my Stude Hawk, decided to get an adapter plate and assorted goodies from Myers Studebaker and swap to a 2004r transmission. I have a couple of questions. We’re taking out my original steering column and using one from an automatic Hawk. Is there a vendor that has a PRNDL for the 2004r that fits on a slim column like the one in the Hawk? I haven’t measured it, but it looks to be about 3 inches in diameter, if that. Also, what would y’all recommend for a neutral safety switch? I know Ron Francis has a trans mounted one for a TH350 or 400, but I didn’t see one for the 2004r..don’t know if the Lokar units will work with a column shift.
    Thanks for your time!
    Cash

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe Limeworks.

3. The place who sold you the kit doesn't have one?

I don't know that I would even need one at this point, unless you're worried about running in D and not OD.

Otherwise, I'd look at 1965-1969 GM stuff and see if any had a column mount indicator. Jeep Wagoneer, also, since some used GM transmissions.

4. Does it have to be coloumn mount?
    Could you mount one in the dash or under the dash
    Lots of 80’s cars had in dash PRNDL with the fine thread or wire going to the coloumn shifter

Fwd Chrysler comes to mind, I’m sure there’s lots more.

5. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

7. 42merc

42merc

Lokar sells a trans mounted neutral switch.
    Just installed one on my 2004r change over, works great.

8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope your issue doesn't become mine. I am going to use an auto column in my 53 hooked to a 700 R 4, I figured I'd just put a new piece of plastic in the indicator space to keep it relatively stock looking, maybe I don't understand your question.

9. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

When you are planning the linkage, you should consider the length of the arms as these change the range of motion at the indicator. I make the arm on the transmission slotted so that it is adjustable. The length can then be set to the range of your indicator. Depending on the column and the neutral safety switch some adjustments may be necessary. You can also purchase one of these arms.

John

10. rittmeister

rittmeister
    from texas

Thanks fgor the replies yall. Ill check on that Lokar switch, I think I know which one you're talking about.

11. rittmeister

rittmeister
    from texas

That's what I was thinking. Dont know if the indicator range of travel with an older trans is less than if its hooked up to a more modern trans. i like the slotted arm idea.
    Or, I could just put a floor shifter in her and call it a day...:)

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Shiftworks has GM column kits if you go that route. He's a few things that may assist with setting up linkage arms and gate.
    Gate2.jpg

Attached Files:

13. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve done 700R4’s and 2004R’s in both column and floor shifts. Typically, everything works but as the diagram above shows you can’t lock in 1st gear. Also, you might have to play with the arm length/ratio, also mentioned above. Properly set up both those trans will hold first at WOT to redline, so I’m not sure why you need to hold 1st gear.

I did a 700 in a 56 Nomad, and the owner had a custom instrument cluster. It used a sw on the trans, and programmed the indicator thru a little “black box”. Seemed like overkill to me, but I’m sure someone makes one that could be added to the column or dash.