Register now to get rid of these ads!

PRINT your own 3D tools??? HOLY CRAP...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1320Paul, Jul 20, 2011.

1. 1320Paul

1320Paul

OK this blew my mind. :eek: Just think of the endless possibilities to be able to reproduce parts, tools, or whatever your imagination can come up with. As an artist my mind is going crazy with ideas. Sure it probably costs a fortune now but in the future I bet this technology will be fairly common.

<TABLE style="MARGIN-LEFT: 10.5pt" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" vAlign=top>Just when I think I know it all, along comes this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. mullskull

mullskull

the possibilities are ennndddlleeessssssssssss-

3. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

way kool!!! thanx for posting

4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That´s crazy! I bet in a few years these machines are as common as flowjets or Plasma Cutters. But I wonder what kind of material they are using? The gear model and the wrench look like plastic to me. I wonder how a printed out ring gear would behave on a 1/4 mile launch...

5. It's plastic. But you could draw stuff in 3D CAD, "print" it, and use the new plastic part for aluminum casting. No good for ring gears...

6. LostHope

LostHope

thats rad!! i want one....

7. thats cool, imagine having one of those in a desktop size, you could buy stuff online and have instant delivery:eek:

8. Orn

Orn

9. Great, my wife could print out her own "Tools" and have absolutely no use for me . . .

10. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

One day, we will be downloading everything from groceries to car parts. Amazing..

11. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

12. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

WTF???........thats crazy

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

like someone else mentioned i think the casting industry would really benefit from this! also engineering, imagine being able to test somethings functionality before making it into metal. no fabrication costs on a test piece, just go back and change some stuff on the computer. where can i buy this places stock!!!

14. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

15. We have one at work that makes sample parts in plastic. Great to prove out a concept. I've seen parts made in metal through Sintered Laser Technology. Parts can be made in steel, aluminum, titanium, etc. Look up selected laser sintering or check the link below.

Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering

16. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

the first time i saw this was about 3 or 4 years ago at the art center college of design in pasadena.a friend ran this machine.he kept trying to make me understand it, but it did'ent click in my brain, so he made somethng for me so i could see it go. the ploter moves very fast distributing a catalist like fluid into the box of powder. you cant see what its making and my friend would not tell me ether. it took a long time, but a womans hand holding a rose began to appear.thin peddels, super detail.boy did i feel stupid.who thinks this stuff up? i hope he's on our side!

17. We have a 3-D printer at work and it is great to prototype plastic parts. Ours doesn't really have good enough definition to use for a casting blank unless you wanted to do some finish work on the blank first. It is a very cool tool to have. I am thinking I now have a way to fix all the broken plastic parts on my kids toys...just model them in CAD and print them off...

18. benny

benny

19. sawzall

sawzall

20. so check out this thats amazing to , betweens a step forward or backward what ever. i prints with sand and sun, amazing
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uUEBsd634bE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

21. When the CAD file is set up for export, there are mesh settings that define how fine the finish will be. Of course within the parameters of the machine as well. But it adds time to the process. I've seen some parts come off them with finishes = to a machined part.

We have a local college that does nice work and is quite the cash cow. They have students that crank out rapid prototype for local businesses and these guys have nothing better to do that tweak and fuss over the process. We had them make a small batch of parts for us once for $750.

Bob

22. Yea, even at the finest settings, we aren't typically able to get good enough resolution to use the parts for a casting or forging blank. We bought our machine probably 5 or 6 years ago mainly for being able to make rapid prototype parts for our electronics business (housings and such). It has saved us lots of time and money for sure in that world. Every now and then, we come up with a good use for it on the mechanical side of our business, but we use it much less.

23. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Yeah, and cars will become obselete because we will have transporters like in "Star Treck," or "The Fly" (that one didn't wrok out so well)

24. I've seem PC board mounts made up, all sorts of brackets and electronic housings as well. We used it last week to simulate a drill jig tool before we committed to some CNC mill time.

When we were shopping for ours, we had a sintered metal machine vendor come in. He was making actual metal parts for production, all odd shapes that would require 5-axis milling. On a few parts made basis, it might compete with the milling process.

Bob

25. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

I work a foundry and actually do most of the designing and CAD work to print tooling from our 3D printer, it really has revolutionized the tool making industry. here is a tech article i wrote a while back about the exact process of printing tooling out. Im actually printing out the tooling for a carb-blower adapter plate for 671 roots right now.

http://www.diamondp.com/kb_results.asp?ID=3

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I saw Jay Leno demonstrate the use of his 3D printer to replicate unobtainium Duesenberg parts. Pretty wild, and great for the restoration and custom fabrication hobby/industry.

27. Will350z

Will350z

My classmate Gilbert (In the video), is one of the guys who gets to play with our 3D Printer at SMU's Lyle School of Engineering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgxjQE5AyY

For the highend stuff, the lab can produce tools/bones (jaw bones and skull pieces) with a titanium powder!

28. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Jay Leno has had one of those in his shop for a couple years. There have been a couple posts on here about his.

29. DANG! SNAP! This is one of those moments where it's appropriate to say: Only in America my friend! They are so damn smart!