Register now to get rid of these ads!

priming a Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gerry Moe, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Due to time restraints, can you prime the 392 hemi and than 24 hours later start it without priming again? Fresh motor never been stated before.

2. pcterm2

pcterm2

just my 2 cents
    to be safe re-prime that eng

3. once you have initialy primed an engine its good for a bit till you start it, but you can always do it again for peace of mind.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The assumption is that you're talking about the oiling system, right? 'cause if you're talking about priming by dumping a little fuel down the carb throat, then it's a different story.

For the oiling system, I wouldn't worry about it if it's just a day later. If it were a couple of weeks, I'd run the pressure up again with a drill, and slowly turn the motor over a couple of rounds. The hemi's only send oil to the rocker shafts when the cam is in a specific position, through oiling holes in the cam journals #2 and #4. If I recall, journal #2 oils the drivers side, and journal #4 the Passenger. And they oil 360 crankshaft degrees apart. So don't expect there to be a flood of oil at the top end of the motor, because they just squirt a little bit up there every now and then.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

5. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello Gary..How are you doing..My Red Ram Dodge Hemi is running great, thanks to your help..
    Duane

6. George

George

360 degrees apart?:confused:

7. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

The rocker shafts need to be full before there is any oil pressure to the rockers.
    I know I wouldn't gamble that they didn't drain out.

8. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

yes. 360 crankshaft degrees, because the camshaft spins one turn for every two crankshaft spins. So it's every 180 degrees as measured at the cam but 360 as measured at the crank.

9. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Hey Duane, I am finally gettting around to firing the hemi. Been really busy around the place and at my daughters house so my projects have been on the side.
    It is the oil prime I am talking about.
    I went ahead and primed motor today at 3 PM and should be able to fire by noon tomorrow.
    Thanx ebbspeed, I had the same feeling, I had primed the motor about two weeks ago and it was still draining oil today, so I felt it would be OK. I will start tomorrow .

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, like Johnunit said, and like I posted. 360 crankshaft degrees.

It's highly unlikely that there's measurable oil pressure in the rocker shafts of most any older Mopar V8. They basically have a little oil squirting into them through one little hole, and that oil drools out of other holes along the bottom of the shaft under each rocker arm. Trust me, when you shut one off, the oil will drain out of the rocker shafts within the hour.