Register now to get rid of these ads!

Primered (Rat Rod) unfinished look whatever you call it Rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cadillacin Marcus, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Man I'm just gonna say it....Post 1954 cars in the so called "ratrod" look just doesnt get it for me... correct me if I'm wrong but if were talking tradition here,the era that we call traditional and guys were building fullsize Kustom rods were post war late 40's early 60's until the muscle car era hit more or less would you agree? Now stay with me here,lets say its 1959 a guy wouldnt have a new 1959 Car in fucked rat rod tore up condition because he thought it was cool!! HELL NO!!! or 55,56,57,58 for that matter, first off no kid could afford a new car in 1959 unless his parents were rich,which leaves an adult and if that was the case he would pay a customizer big bucks to do it right or do it right himself!! the only cars in 1959 that would have been looking rat roddy would have been those of the 1920's to 1940's early 50's, older cars that were well used and bought cheap...thats why when I see mid 60's cars all black primered out and tore up it drives me nuts,I have to laugh!! No one in 1965 drove a car that looked like that!! WTF?!! I don't get it... Yes my brother and me's 1965 Galaxie got that treatment,thanks to him amd it caused a big fight beteween us too!! My point is if you're going to be traditional or call yourself traditional,than be fuckin traditional!!! STOP RAT RODDING 60 CADDYS and thinking its cool!!! Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!

2. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Well...good point, except for one thing...it's not 1959!!!!!! It's 2004!!!!! Those cars are old now! They've been old for a long time. Yeesh...next it'll be NOS Brylcreem from 1959 and canned "original 1959 air" for the dry-rotted bias plys. Let's see if I've got any "period correct" food in the fridge... [​IMG]
    But you know, it does look GAY.

3. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Hey easy, easy.... take a deep breath, calm down.... Is this JimBob, Buddy, or Eloise we're talkin to? Ok, well, you guys just be nice to Marcus in there, after all, its his head you're all in... Ok, we're leaving now.... We'll come back when you let Marcus come back.... bye now, sleep tight...

4. old beet

old beet

I had a primered shoe box in 1959 with wide whites and red wheels. It was 9 years old...........OLDBEET

5. Fuck you Burndup,you dick!! [​IMG] [​IMG] oldbeet thats my point.... it was an older car...

6. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

So you are saying that in 1965, if someone found a 10 year old Chevy or Ford there is no way they would have primered the car and worried about engine mods so he could turn it into a "hot rod." EVERYONE that would have bought that 1955 car would pay a restorer to restore it OR they'd have bought a muscle car?
    Or are you talking about the primer/ redwheels/ lakes pipes/ dummy spots etc. on 1959 and later models?
    The idea is that it is simple and cheap, worry about cosmetics later. That's what makes it a "hot rod," speed is the only thing that matters. Not that I condone LATE models in primer (80s-90s stuff), but for alot of new cars (mostly rice style) it's becoming more of a style for the same reason it did "back in the day."

Two Lane Blacktop took place in 1970 or so, and they were driving around a primered "hot rod."

7. old beet

old beet

It would be the same as a 1995 today?........OLDBEET

8. agains thats an older car for 1965...you wouldnt see a 64 Ford in black primer,serape seat covers,painted wheels,etc etc.. but like he said it isnt the 60's anymore its the 21 st century...but when someone calls a mid 60's car done tradional and its all gay rockabillied out..i have a hard time with it...thats all...discuss among yourselves its bed time..

9. subrock

subrock

I primered one of my bikes before I knew that it was "traditional" and before I was into the hot rod scene. I love the look of wet primer on finished bodywork. not everything has to be done to look traditional. I'm a firm beleiver in the form follows function of hotrods...performace before looks.
    IAn

10. Ok its 1979, parents give the kid the old 67 what ever it is. JR then procedes to take out the whole side/front end/rear end take your pick. Parents won't pay for body work and all he can afford is primer. Wow he must be the gayest kid on the block! [​IMG]

11. I think they point he's trying to make is not that cars with primer are gay. You're not paying attention at all if that's what you're replying. He's specifically talking about people that paint the shit flat black because it's "cool" and "rat rod". And I know what he's talking about. I've got a friend that was into that shit to... he has a fucking '61 Impala four door he wanted to fix up with a nice ass motor and paint it flat black and call it finished. I just see that as half ass. I've convinced him to at least go suede or something remotely professional looking...

12. Yeah but if thats what someone is into what right does anyone have to say it sucks, or its not cool. If some one wants to paint their 87 sunbird flat black with red rims because they like it and think its cool then that is up to them no matter how questionable it looks.

13. thanks Kojack...again I'm primarily talking about the traditional era, late 40's- 60's not 1979 with late 60's cars..you're not reading the whole post... and by no means do i think primer is gay,you need for it a base to paint on,hehehe...[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Zodoff

Zodoff

Nobody would get pissed over others PAINT on the internet in 1959.
    Get over it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. [ QUOTE ]
    Nobody would get pissed over others PAINT on the internet in 1959.
    Get over it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not pissed. I'm FURIOUS. Rockasillies. First flat paint... then visors... what fucking next!

16. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yeah I see your point marcus....

I personally think that having a PERIOD CORRECT car is pretty fuckin cool, you know like it just came out of a time machine.... But most of these kids arent trying to be PERIOD CORRECT, they just want "an old car" to go with thier look. Its a fashion accessory. Are most of these cars your talking about dumb? Well yeah. "rat rodded" 60 caddys are kinda a bummer in my eyes...

BUT THESE ARE OLD CARS

Maybe years from now, these cars will be PERIOD CORRECT in some weird way.... (meaning our present period)

When I drive my primered 54 chevy around, Im not trying to be some kid in the mid 50's, dig?

I think you need to settle down and find something better to stress over.. before I start breaking out the "BITCH BE COOL!" 's.... [​IMG]

-J. c.2004

17. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

wasnt that mid 60ies mopar car you posted a while back going to be flatblack?

18. I'm jusing having fun..i aint pissed ..its all good..just wanted to get a rise thats all...Yeah that shitbox Mopar is my brothers pile not mine...He wanted me to post on here,and i warned him...hahaha...I've personally owned only two more doors that were dailys one was a 65 Sedan De Ville the other was my sleeper atreet machine 66 Fury III oh Fuck wait ok....i had a 1967 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon if that counts...

19. marq

marq

if you go onto marts web site there are some nice vintage hotrod pictures on there and some of the cars in the car parks in the 50's seem particularly unfinished,they also have a good number of speed parts on them.Seems to me just like todays youth thet they couldnt give a fuck about what the car looks like as long as it can burn the other bloke up.Now i remember when i was just driving in the early 80's i could only afford one car and couldnt afford it to be off the road at any time as it was my transport,so i did what i could and kept it on the road as a big tune/custom job was out of the question.The main thing i cared about was how fast it was and i don't think youth has changed much since the 40's speed is everything and looks are nice if you can afford them...............Marq

20. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Your buddy'ss girl's tits are for looking at...

Your car is for going fast...

priorities straight.

damn, does that count as a haiku?

21. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Well, Bruthas and Sistahs...build your shit 70s Style and primer won't be an issue! [​IMG]

Hot Rods, customs and street machines of the 70s had the WILDEST paint jobs in history! Bright colors, murals, metalflakes, ten different ideas going at once...paint RULED the day!

It was the "anti-primer" decade! [​IMG]

Remember? You just didn't see people covering their shit with primer on PURPOSE...it was just something to apply before you spent two month's salary on PAINT!

Paint that 65 Galaxie with a funkadellic panel scheme and glittered flames...loose those dumpy wheels and slap on a set of deep dish Cragars and some sidepipes...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

i like the car, but ??????????? Nate

Attached Files:

23. Man, I think some of the folks out there are missing what's going on.

"Rat Rods": They may be old cars...but they're very current. Just like billet was cool in the 90's and wild graphics in the 80's, rat rods are cool NOW! It just so happens that they share many of the styling and design characteristics of traditional rods. Heck, they use the same bodies and many of the same components.

Now I'm not going to say traditionals vs. rat's is apples vs. oranges...but maybe apples vs. apple sauce. You're still using the same fruit, you're just adding a bunch of other ingredients.

I like cars that are built well, no matter what era they're from. I'm not fond of billet and 250k gold chainer cars, but I can appreciate the detail and work that went into them.

It's OK w/ me if you want to run a 454 in your A rather than a flattie...as long as you do it up right.

Now simmer down y'all [​IMG]

24. prime mover

prime mover

Burdup your the haiku fucking master!

25. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

1974 I was a sailor with a 70 383 Sattelite. (Almost a roadrunner). Hi-rise, Dual quads, Hooker Big Tubes, Ansen slots, 9 inch rear with a locker, 2 groove cheater slicks, jacked sky high in the back, etc. The car was 4 years old and my friends and I fixed a bunch of dings, dents and paint flaws. The result was a metallic blue car that was about 1/2 red primer in big blotches. It looked like a camo job in red and blue!. I drove it that way for 2 years and gave it to my girlfriend when I went overseas. Never did paint it... Hell, it was fast and I got laid! Who needs paint. Kept needing starters because the Hookers fried them and new tires... Never got ahead enough for paint. That was pretty typical.

I've got a damned blizzard going on here right now! At least these 1" flakes are melting when they hit the ground. Hard to see the building across the street.

26. the biggest differance between then and now is, now people actually WANT thier cars primered. they primered them because it was cheaper not because they wanted them that way. and while we're fixing the world here, lets quit calling them rat rods and start callin them hot rods as they were traditionally called.

(disclaimer; the views of the author are totally opionion oriented. they are not intended to cause any dipleaser with the reader, there is no one right way to construct a vehicle. everyone has different views and backgrounds leading to the style vehicle prefered. the author has no editorial training or experiance , please forgive any missplelling, incorrect use of syntax or punctuation. primer sucks)

27. [ QUOTE ]
    Let's see if I've got any "period correct" food in the fridge...

[/ QUOTE ] I'll bet I do [​IMG] [​IMG]

Marcus you said a mouthfull bro.
    I do know a guy who in '60 bought a '40 Ford out of an old guys garage and sanded and primed it (the paint was nearly perfect) to look like the cars he was seein' on the local strip. Drove it through highschool and college. Put it away and about 10 or 12 years ago resurected it. Just the way it was "back in the day."

But you're absolutly right, he wasn't the norm for the time. What I did see alot when I was in highschool were mid to late 50s cars a few early 60s cars in primer (mostly spotted) waiting for the bucks for a decent paint job. The idea was cruise it while you were finishing it. I went to highschool in the late 60s.

But here's the deal, if its a smooth ride, and you want to run it in flat then so be it. Its your ride. Some don't look bad that way. I wouldn't think that a '63 Chebby would count as a rat rod though, perhaps a beater.

I thought about running my '65 in primer after I bent the fender, but I just couldn't do it. At least not run it that way with the intention of leaving it that way.

For as long as I can remember no one really had the intention of running one in primer for ever, it was just part of the evolution from stocker to cruiser. Of course I don't remember much before about '57 or '58. And I was just a "sqeezics"[quote Uncle Sig] then.

But memory is selective.

Hell if you want to drive a beater do it.

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

[ QUOTE ]
    this pre49 hotrod crap is my pet peeve. no one invented hot rodding. one of the baddest hot rods i had was a 54 chevy ht with and a srtaight axle big block 4 speed. restorods are not hotrods, restored cars are not hotrods. it's changing it up that makes it a hotrod. at the moment i'm looking for a 50 fastback olds or chevy and if you say it aint a hot rod i'll blow your doors off

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. to you it's finished, to some of us it's half done. i've been building hot rods all my life. i've had many a rat rod but not by choice. i know people who have them because they are too damn lazy to wax it. i have customers who complain about all the work to keep it clean. AINT GOT NO PRIDE......DONT NEED NO RIDE. if it's cool with you i'm tickled pink but the majority of rodders i know just dont care for them. lets be real here a GOOD paint job will set you back 6 to 8 grand and that is the reason a lot of suede cars are out there. i'm a little biased because i'm a painter. the rat rod fad has just about faded away here in texas . but as i've said many a time....it's about the cars man.:)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Funny this thread should come up on the Hamb.
    Check out the Streetrodding .com forum and look under the Pet Peeve topic.
    forum

29. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Hey Petejoe, your link is NFG.

30. scarylarry

scarylarry

I couldn't care less about any of this. Tech/project post please.