Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pricing cars for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da34guy, Jan 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seeing that Mecum is over and Barrett/Jackson is starting this week, just some advice. Make sure you double or triple what you really want for your car. Now back to our regular programming

2. fuzzface

fuzzface

no kidding. Prices are really up lately even from just like a few months ago.

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Seems it really matters what the car is and the true (not the owners perceived) condition.:rolleyes:

Hnstray likes this.
  4. I live in the real world, not one that the millionaires inhabit. I never even watch those auctions because they are nothing but posers with more money than brains....there, that's my little rant.

BJR, RRanchero Rick, TagMan and 21 others like this.

5. My dad who lived in Arizona would park his cars for sale in a dirt lot near the Barret Jackson Auction every year. He would mark them up a little considering the money in town, but usually always sold something because they were still priced more in line with the market instead of the inflated auction prices.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

As I looked through Marketplace last night I noticed a bunch of dreamers.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was reading something last night and the guy stated he looked for these higher prices to hold through most of the year, if not longer. He said if you had a car to sell, right now you can get more out of it. But like all bubbles, he expects it to bust sometime in the near future.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

About 5 years ago a friend with too much money decided he wanted to buy some cars for the investment. He talked to his money guy. The money guy didn't really care for the idea. Said he should buy high quality cars and cars that were continually sought after. The man bought a couple big block mid year Corvettes and some choice Camaros, Z-28 and big block. The money guy said only hold on to them for 8 years. The prices were set to fall off considerably after that. I am watching to see if that will happen. I am also wondering how he knows that?

9. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

If you want to see some crazy prices, check out this video, as this guy wobbles through the Pomona swap this month.

RRanchero Rick and hrm2k like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Buy and hold. That`s my strategy.

shorrock and Sporty45 like this.
  11. These shows are why people price junk at outrageous prices, so the guy has a 1962 Chevy II 4 door that's been wrecked and rusty, the glass is broken and the interior smells of mold and mice piss, the 6 cylinder is locked up and they only want 15 grand, that's insane. HRP

12. We use to say the cars are too expensive for a young guy with a family to build a hot rod, heck they are getting too expensive for guys like me that have built hot rods their entire life. HRP

wicarnut, bob b., CME1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Since we're on the topic, my uncle has a pretty complete 40 Ford coupe project that will be coming up for sale soon, I think he'll probably list it in the classifieds. I don't know what he's going to ask for it, buy I'm guessing less than 5k. That seems reasonable to me. It's located in Iowa.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1932 Ford 5-window, no title. No powertrain. Much of the bottom 18-inches of the body missing.

Other large sections of the body obviously already cut off to make patches for other cars. Every remaining panel shows damage.

Only $15,000!

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's ridiculous.
    And I refuse.
    Actually, I'm unable.
    Good. I like it that way.
    I'll build a hot rod out of whatever I can.

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

100K is the new 50K.:confused:;)

pprather and da34guy like this.
  17. It's kinda sad because my dream of owning a 32-34 Ford is slipping away. I don't have the skills to build the kind of car I have a budget for. I should also mention that if I were given a bunch of money that doesn't mean I would go out and buy one. My bank account and my conscience both object to spending that much money on any vehicle.

18. I completely agree that the Barrett-Jackson/Mecum type auctions have really skewed the prices of cars, because the average moron has absolutely no idea what it takes to restore a car to Concourse condition t (monetarily or time wise) & they think that just because they own a car "like" what they saw, it is worth as much! I also hate to hear comments like "more money than brains" or "stupid money" because they reek of jealousy! Why begrudge a man for being successful & wanting to spend it on cars that "trip his trigger" ??

Even though I don't think I will ever be able to buy a $200K car, I am successful enough to buy a $50k car if I see one I cannot live without, but again it is all relevant! There are still so many deals to be had out there every day. I look at lots of stuff for sale online & see while I am out transporting to every corner of the country. Honestly I really have not seen a falloff of deals "to be had"

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Bruce A Lyke, wicarnut, egads and 4 others like this.
  19. Nope! I've bought and sold way too many 2 to 3000 dollar cars in my day to ever write a check for 50 grand no matter what it is. I love old cars but I refuse to get sucked into that kind of cash outlay at my age.

Bruce A Lyke, '28phonebooth and 56don like this.
  20. It really always comes down to "what makes you happy".

21. Car prices?……I haven’t noticed. Too busy trying to keep up with the cost of necessities. ;)

22. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

True words. Always try to keep the thought that, the attraction is being aware that there are better ways to get down the road than what everyone else has. I believe what Pork and Beaner says, about dirty.

23. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It seems like this conversation comes up after every auction, for the last million years.

Flathead Dave, egads, i.rant and 3 others like this.
  24. And has very little to do with traditional hot rods.

Mick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.