Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Price of 4 speed transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I just recently found a 60's 327, getting it from a friend that I keep all his vehicles going. He's bringing it to me and I'll run the numbers then. That got me thinking that it would make a nice little motor for my next project. Then I got to thinking, dangerous I know, that I'd really like to do 3 pedals on this one so I got to looking at muncies and the super T10 transmissions. Holy crap, I found one that needed rebuilt, you could see the rusty gears in the pic, $900. I think it was a M21. I got to searching for various muncies and priced some shifters and I about fell over. We used to run the Hurst Super shifter, by the time you'd buy it and the installation kit you'd have a fortune in it. I've got to finish my current project, 28 A sedan, but I'm going to see if I can pick up a piece at a time here and there. I was thinking of using a 61 chevy truck slave cyl, maybe go with a wilwood master. It'll probably be my last all out build and I'm determined to have that extra pedal. The newer 5 speeds aren't very stout and I tore up my share of saginaws so they are out. Might have to go with 1 piece at a time. Well I guess my rant is over, I think the gasser craze run a lot of prices up. Old alum slots are even out of sight.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Manuals are going down from what I see do to so many going to over drive and or with more than 4 forward gears. If your shopping on the net for pricing, it's not where to look.

3. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

gotta hunt craigslist in bigger cities, more competition to sell. ive been seeing 4 speeds in my area between 4 and 900 bucks depending on what they are, 3 speeds are 150-350 bucks though! swapmeets may be your best bet

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nope, started long before that!
    You can thank the "investor" types that prostituted the musclecar craze of the 80's/90's.
    I bought a fully rebuilt M-20 (Muncie) in 1983 for $250, you probably cant get an empty case for that nowadays.

5. pitman

pitman

I ran a wide ratio Muncie w/a 3:08 rear.
    The gear spread worked perfectly, as 4th was a 1:1 "overdrive".

winduptoy likes this.
  6. You can still get early T10s for less, and behind a 327 it'll do fine; they just don't like big-block torque...

7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I would go 5 speed if Really plan on driving it...

8. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't be afraid of the 5 speed. I'm running a Camaro world class 5 speed with an S-10 tail shaft with around 365 horse, 400 ft. lbs torque. Put a short shift shifter on it and hammer it. Posi rear and 8" of footprint tires (235 70 15"s on 8" wheels). No problems. The overdrive is a wonderful thing.

Deuces likes this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ See what I mean. :rolleyes:

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Precisely why I chose the M-20 over the M-21, with 3.08's being the original gears in my Nova the lower first gear of the M-20 worked great for getting the car rolling, and in a heavy car it's nearly mandatory.
    Sure, people tout the low first gear of the five speeds but some of us reject them for the same reason we choose not to go the LS route.

11. 51box

51box
    from MA

Muncie’s are way overpriced for what you get. They are a relatively weak transmission by design. You will be miles ahead in the strength department using a ford top loader behind it from the get go.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Actually the Muncie 4 speed were a low cost replacement to the T-10.

14. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

I have a new (10 years old) superT10 that i ran in my speedracer.
    I had Tex racing build it,they were a builder for NASCAR.
    It has 2-3 runs down the maxton mile,thats all.
    It has a Hurst super shifter on it,fits a chevy bell housing and has a fine spline input shaft.
    $1000 will buy it,and you pay the shipping.

15. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Randy that is cheap, they are asking more than that for just the trans. If my truck just hadn't broke down, I'd be interested. Shouldn't of been thinking about another build I guess, somebody is trying to tell me something. I kinda looked at the 5 speed just wasn't for sure how much abuse they'd take. I could put a gear in it then to take advantage of the 327. Someone said the Mustang had the better 5 spd, don't know if that's true or not.

Deuces likes this.
  16. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Just found the T5 tech thread, been reading some on it.

17. The last gm transmission I sold was a Muncie with a Hurst shifter included "out of a Corvette" so I was told just like all of the 327's found for sale for$150 untested. Seriously I would check out a 5 speed.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

I sold an M-22 in the mid 80s for $400 bucks.. Wish I would have kept it... The guy that bought it put it in his '66 Vette and was very happy with it.. :(:rolleyes:

19. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I think from the research I've done the 5 spd would be worth a try. Friend of mine hauls crushed cars out of a pick and pull, big place. You could pick up a trans from a Camaro, WC, find one of the short throw shifters from a mustang. $250 for a rebuild kit so even if you went through it before installation, you'd still be way ahead money wise. I could still run a 3.73 or 4.10 with a 30 inch tire and cruise right on.

Cosmo49, Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  20. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

All my cars have 3 pedals.. back in the early 80s I would buy Muncies anywhere between $50 and $300...Also twelve bolt posi rear ends for around $300, not so much anymoreo_O I really like my 5spd cars for overall drivability but theres nothing like grabbing gears with a muncie.

21. 6sally6

6sally6

T-5 is your best bet. Especially if its a light vehicle and NO sticky racing slicks. Can you tear it up? Sure but you would have to TRY pretty hard. They(mine) can take alot of "spirited" driving.
    6sally6

Deuces likes this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

FYI: PicknPull T5, $114, or $57 on half price weekends. Shifter included. Mine worked great without any rebuilding.

23. The going price for a M20 or M21 on Craigslist starts at $500 and goes as high as $1400 around me. eBay is full of "rebuilt" ones anywhere from $900 to $1900 and most of the sellers have no clue what they are trying to sell. My M20 was cheap enough and I changed to a new Auto Gear side plate and sunk more into it last year for a repair and freshen up. I could easily sell it for what I have in it. But a new 4-speed from Auto Gear is only a short hop from a rebuilt M20 or M21, the M22 will always command a steep price. Richmond makes a nice new T10, their 5-speed is a nice piece. The Tremec/TKO 5 and 6-speeds with the O.D. is another step up if you are willing to do some floor surgery so it fits.

egads likes this.
  24. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

New Richmond Super T-10 is around $1600. Seems like a lot of money but, finding a used one (or muncie) and rebuilding it can be as much or, more.

25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Let's leave out the "investor factor".You're not even going to come close for just the core today for $250 today.Here's a link for a bearing kit with syncro rings and small parts for $128 and free shipping.Now add a man's labor for the rebuild.https://www.transmissionpartsdistri...MIiOWA2LGi4AIVpB-tBh2hYQAvEAQYBCABEgKNFfD_BwE

26. I pickup up a T-10 several years ago thinking I would use it in the wagon but ended up using a T-5.

The transmission is probably going to be used in that future project that I don't have yet. :rolleyes: HRP

27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

The last time I had a 4 spd was in the 80's, started drag racing in a 70 chevelle I built, 13.26 the first pass with a 325 HP, 396, busted a piston, built a 427, closed chamber, ported a set of round port heads with 2,19, 1,88 valves, 11.57 right off the street, that is if it didn't break the 12 bolt. Used to bust the axle/spider gears. I relate to the 12 bolt prices now also, my 72 I sold had a 12 bolt, I was offered $1700 for the rear end. I thought the guy was joking until I started looking at them on line. I'd rather stay traditional, that's the reason for the 327, but I ain't rich.

28. If you got time to shop around you can still find a deal. Obviously an M-21 or M-22 is the idea transmission for a 4 sheep. But unless you got a heave car with a balls to the walls small block a T-10 is plenty of transmission. I always liked 'em.

Now you may note that I did not say Muncie T-10 because I am just not p to the BS today. But well you know what I mean right?

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

1970-. $125
    1980-. $250
    1990- $500
    2000-. $1000
    2010-. $1500
    There loosing ground !!..'...

30. Northern CA Craigslist offerings

Muncie M20 good shape matching numbers $750.00
    Borg Warner Super T10 Good Shape also $750.00