Register now to get rid of these ads!

preventing mice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1968pickup, Oct 30, 2010.

1. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

Does anyone have any storage secrets to keep mice out of your hot rod I have tried dryer sheets, traps, and poison. any other suggestions Thanks

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

3. Get a nice big cat.

4. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Get a cat.

When both of my cats got old and passed on the mice and rats came back with a vengeance.

5. 31Hudson

31Hudson

6. big bad john

big bad john

............I put D-con on the floor of the garage.......Moth balls in the coupes...........

7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Drive it. Don't store it.

8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

pussy cats....big pussy cats.
    food is cheaper then wiring & interior.
    mouse sheeeet stinks

9. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Dryer sheets. I've been putting them under my seats for years and have never had mice in the car. Plus they smell good!:)

10. Deuces

Deuces

Ditto on getting a cat.....
    So far, he's brought home about 6 dead trophies.... :D

Attached Files:

11. belair

belair

The old fashioned ball-bearing mouse trap. But the females are better hunters, I think.

12. Catch many moths, neuter them. Let the cat play with the recovering moths. Put the cat in a garage he has a litter box in with a car with open doors. Don't leave an exit opening for the cat or forget to feed him.
    What mice?
    Or she's a bitch cat, gone to far, and know's it don't matter anyway................

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  13. R Pope

R Pope

Pepper! Just don't forget to vacuum it up when the car comes out of storage. Moth balls work, too. Cats are good, but their poop stinks just as bad as mice's!

14. budd

budd

i have a few mice and rats running around my shop, the neighbours two cats do kill off a few and in return i dont freak out at them craping in the yard, but i keep a mouse trap and rat trap baited all the time, i guess because of cool weather i have traped 6 rats last month, i use a small piece of teriyaki pepperoni stick, best bait i have found, why just the other day i checked my rat trap and there was a rat there traped, and on a closer look i could see another rat must of came along and chewed the head off the frist rat to get at the bait, i tell you they love teriyaki pepperoni, i zap strap it to the trap and one piece is good for months.

15. bryan6902

bryan6902

Don't feed them. Get the dog food and bird seed and any other food source away from your shop and/or car. Replace it with D-Con.

16. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I know the pepper spray that you use to keep deer out of your yard will keep mice out of bird seed, birds can not feel the effects of the pepper, This works on all mammals, squirrels too. I would do a perimeter spray of that shit around the car, I put a fog of it on a rat, that sucker went up in the air 20 feet from the burn, I near shit my pants.

17. Deuces

Deuces

Now that's funny! :)

18. billygoat67

billygoat67

kinda funny i was thinking abought the same thread a day ago. my brother uses moth balls but mice still seem to show up. it sucks when winter comes along and the mice move in.
    i was looking for something for my 55 and ran across a product in a sale ad at our local farm supply, it's called fresh cab botanical rodent repellent .
    for use in tractor cabs, they had it at our local auto parts store and i opened it up and it kindasmells like cedar chips and herbs, no not pot, but other herbs.
    anyone used this product yet? i think i'll give it a try, it's $12.99 for 4 pouches. alot cheaper then a new headliner and smelling mouse piss.

19. no55mad

no55mad

20. that bucket looks cool....at the house the cats rule....at the shop the dogs don't do bad as they catch a few...must de-mice the old barn/field finds before bringing them home....that 40 Ford from Kansas was the worst....just saying...

21. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem
    BANNED
    from Las Vegas

in colorado a lot of my customers swore by moth balls to keep squirrils out of their engine bays

(new wiring insulation from Ford and Chrysler are soy based)

Take a tupperware and punch holes just smaller than the balls in it, fill and place where you're concerned about. remove and shake it up weekly. an old pair of socks works great too!

22. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

The search function

23. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Take a plastic rectangular trash can like you'd have in the office, put a bit of fruit or banana peel in the bottom.
    Place it next to something mice can climb on to get over the edge of the can. Mice will climb down or jump into the can to get the food but can't climb out.
    When you get a mouse, take the can outside and slam it against the fence or building, which will knock out the mice.
    Dispose of mouse as suits your better instincts. Haven't caught a rat this way yet.

24. Cats....they dont get in...period. My wife puts a soft cat bed up on top of the convertible after it gets covered up and they love to perch up there and use it as a lookout point...and for a nap in between kills. Works for me!:)

25. Deuces

Deuces

Mine caught one 3 weeks ago that was 13 inches long head to tail... He's got this nasty habit of setting them on my front porch once they're dead.. :eek:

26. Muttley

Muttley

Maybe he wants to share his lunch.

27. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Bryan has posted the best advice in this thread. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that most rodents won't nest for winter anywhere that isn't very close to a food source.

Most folks with a rodent problem are feeding them without realizing it. Lots of people feed birds in the winter, thinking they are doing a good thing, but they are almost always feeding mice along with the birds and attracting them up to their house.

By far, the most common problem is pet food. The dumbest thing you can do is get cats to chase the mice and leave food laying out for the cats. You have to train all of your pets to finish their food at once, and train yourself to rinse out the bowl and vac the crumbs up.

Any source of protein is a problem. For instance, if you have a Pecan tree next to your garage, you're pretty much screwed until you get rid of the tree.

28. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

That is awsome i bet if you put antifreeze in the bucket you probally would'nt even smell them

29. Deuces

Deuces

Oh hell no. :eek:

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My buddy on the eastern shore swears by a product called Havoc from the hardware store. Small bags that you leave next to the wall where they travel.