Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Prestigious Factory Correct Rare Muscle Car Display at GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Before anyone frowns at this thread, or its subject matter, please realize that what I am referring to are NOT tubbed rear end, roll cage, neon colored,Centerline wheeled street machines. Those of you that have been to the Grand National Roadster Show have seen my displays over the years. The History of T aef811ea97c6d972c0880c88efb1078c.jpg he Customs "Then & Now" , the vintage Race Car display, as well as the Merc Gathering at the Sacramento Autorama. This weekend, we are housing 100 of the top, rarest,and most unique American made Muscle Cars in the world. Although the Muscle Car official started with the introduction of the Pontiac GTO in 1964, I have decided to include 1961,1962,and 1963 high horsepowered factory cars. In this prestigious display, expect to see Super Duty, HO,Tripower, and Ram Air Pontiacs, 409 Bubble Tops, Max Wedge Mopars, 406 & 427 Fords, REAL all aluminum AC 427 Cobra's, 427 Corvettes, Z16 Chevelles, Yenko & COPO Camaro's, GT350 & GT500 Shelby's, W30 & Hurst Oldsmobiles, The Rebel Machine,Scramblers,AMX, and other rare AMC products, 426 Hemi and 440 Sick Pack Mopars, and SIX WINGED CARS displayed side by side! There will also be Stage 1 Buicks, Pace Cars, and LS6 Chevelles! never has this amount of ultra rare American made Muscle been displayed under one roof. Building #9, starting Friday. See ya there!

2. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Hey guys, this is true. The line up is mind blowing. Axle has done it again with an amazing array of top examples of cars. Even if muscle cars isn’t your thing it’s worth taking a look at because you will probably never have an opportunity to see this kind of iron in one place ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobwop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

If people didn't collect them there would be more guys fighting over the stuff we love. Bob

4. I would give it a look, I am not into the whole '70s car scene but that doesn't take a good old fashioned muscle car out of my line of interest. Its not the muscle cars fault that dopers bought 'em.

Sounds like lots of smooth machinery to be drooled over.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'll check it out.

Jim Bouchard and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. i was only 11 when the `64 GTO came out.....but i clearly remember it was a big deal

Jim Bouchard and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. You had a year on me. The Tempest GTO, the Ol' Man took me to see one and told me that this was the future of American Performance.

loudbang, Vanness and Jim Bouchard like this.
  8. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I wish I could of experienced that.

Jim Bouchard and dogwalkin like this.
  9. They were good times and bad times to be alive. Fast cars could be bought of the showroom floor ready for your own personalization, and social unrest was the rule of the day. ;)

Special Ed likes this.
  10. i remember riding with my father....who was not a car guy at all....and he pointed out "one of those GTO's they are all talking about"

Vanness and czuch like this.
  11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

The October car shows were the Cat's Meow back in the 60's, 70's.
    The Anaheim convention center was one of the best.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes, I was only nine I think when two older guys in the small town where I grew up got a pair of 64 GTO's, you would have thought Elvis had come to town.
    My grade school pals older brother was friends with these guys (he had a 64 Avanti).
    One was black and very sinister looking and one was Nocturne Blue Poly (I had to look it up), real dark blue/gray color. My memory doesn't picture redline tires but I think they had them, dog dish hubcaps too.
    You had to be there.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...better than that 64 GTO's were cheap 14 year old cars when I was 18..... I remember a red/black buckets, 389 4 speed 1964 I looked at for $800.00 before I bought my 69 Judge.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I bought a Gold with black interior 65 Gto in 1977 for a hundred bucks... it was a pretty decent car considering the price..... oh the good old days

loudbang, Vanness and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

I passed on a 70 Charger 440 in 1979 for $200. I was making something like $3.50 and hour and figured I couldn't afford the gas and insurance both.

Moriarity and Saxman like this.
  16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Ahhh.... The good ol' days, when the air was clean and the sex was dirty......

kadillackid likes this.
  17. belair

belair

Post pics, please, Axle.

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

I was 10 when the first Goat appeared in our one-horse town. It was a red post car with the tri-power & 4-speed. Boy Howdy, it immediately went to the top of the heap. Looked just like this:
    [​IMG]
    One bad mofo for a while....

19. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

OK, now I'n going to have to go to the GNRS......

20. Oh , kind of like today ?
    The more things change the more they stay the same.
    445 hp truck is almost blasé
    700 Hp can roll righ out the door just sign on the line.
    1/2 the country is pissed, the other 1/2 says FU we should be pissed.

Budget36, zzford, Nostrebor and 5 others like this.
  21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

All of your posts tickle me and are appreciated. I wasn't of "age" until the 1980s, but Muscle Cars were plentiful in my town, I think it was due to the Riverside Raceway,and all of the dealerships in an area called "Auto Center". I bought a cameo ivory (white) with saddle interior '65 GTO for $300 from the original owner! 389 tripower, M21 close ratio 4 speed, 3.90 posi, tach & gauges, wood wheel, buckets,and console! A month later I went "car hunting" in that same neck of the woods,found a lemon twist yellow '70 Duster 340,with black bucket seat interior. I bought it for $500,drove it to Bakersfield (165 miles away) that same night, and the next day traded it for a carousel red '69 Judge - Ram Air III, 4 speed, 3.55 Posi,hide-a-way lights,hood tach,black interior. Below was my Judge 2 months after fixing it up. 1964993_10203341821728859_1188986544_n.jpg

22. Wish I was there to see the cars but I am a little surprised that you don't include some of the 55-57 Mopars, 57 Chev, 57 Bonneville & a few others from around that time...but hey I'm no expert and any listed at the start of the thread would suit me..........lol..........btw who has determined the Official Muscle Car start?..........lol..........andyd

23. Some would argue that the ‘55 Chrysler C300 (with its 331ci HEMI engine) was the first “Muscle Car” as it was the first mass-produced American car with 300 HP.

... and the 1960 Chrysler 300F “Special GT” (with a short ram 413ci wedge) was rated at 400 HP.

24. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I can gladly answer that. A Muscle Car ,by the strictest definition,is an intermediate size automobile with a high performance V8 engine exceeding 300 cubic inches and minimum horsepower of 350. The cars you mentioned are/were considered full sized automobiles. Chevelles,Buick GS,Oldsmobile 442,GTO,etc were considered intermediate sized automobiles,and coupled with high horsepower engines, and 4 speed transmissions, were the truest form of Muscle Cars.

loudbang and belair like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well, then you left out one of the most iconic of the breed; the 327/350 HP Chevy II.

zzford, 47ragtop and belair like this.
  26. Axle, don't get me wrong but this definition appears to be very subjective.........lol.......for example......weren't all bubble top GM's based on the standard GM full size platform with just the smaller roof length?..........the AMC Scrambler would have been considered a Compact yet you have included it..........not trying to upset anyone but from 10000 miles away it seems strange to leave out the first Chrysler 300............having said that tho' I'd happily accept a ride in any of these cars let alone owning one................so.......I'll go take my 1940 Dodge for a run around the block & pretend........trust the weekend is good......regards, Andy Douglas

Hyfire and HEMI32 like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My vote for the first Muscle Car would be the 49 Olds, but the distinction is big engine in the mid-size body. I did have these two, the 442 in 1968 and the Torino in 1970. Looks like quite a lineup you have for the show, should be a hit ! 2013-02-05 094528.jpg 2012-12-15 154638.jpg

Hyfire, slowmotion, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  28. Kinda with Marty and some others - tri-powered....hell we had those in the 50's....and the mid size 1956 Fury did have a 303 cubic inch but was a little shy on HP....but with a factory tach - when did that get matched ?
    And you forgot the Studebaker's from 1963 and 1964 that held those Bonneville records until the 1990's....hell that 1-owner 1964 Stude Challenger post car still holds on to the top ten spot at the Muscle Car Challenge Drags - least we forget.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well poop, that would have been another good reason to go this year but not getting my back vacation pay in a timely manner is going to put the kabosh on that.
    I was all set to go, had a room reserved an all and no coin to do it without using plastic.

HEMI32 likes this.
  30. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I will have two fully restored rare 1966 Nova's with L79 engines and 4 speed transmissions. ;-)

pat59, loudbang, banjeaux bob and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.