Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pressure regulation for Stromberg 97

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by knucklenutz, Aug 25, 2019.

1. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

I'm having a difficult time with getting the 1.75-2.0 psi fuel delivery that is needed for a pair of Stromberg 97's on my EAB flatty. I'm running a Purolator Gold Flow pump that is rated at 2.5 to 9 psi. Initially I ran an Edelbrock diaphram type regulator. I was so excited when I first fired the engine that I didn't check the fuel pressure. After running about 300 miles, I left the driveway one morning only to see the front carb spewing gas from the the accelerator pump shaft seal. I tried to adjust the Edelbrock regulator . It showed no change when I turned the adjustment screw in either direction. From there, I purchased another regulator (Edelbrock ). Same result. Next a, I tried a Mr. Gasket regulator. Still no go. Can someone please shed some light on this dark tunnel please ?

2. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

I use one of the low pressure 1.5-4psi Facet/Purolator pumps from dbelectrical.com. No regulator. About $41. Try not to use hose barbs on pressure side of pump. Jack E/NJ

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Float set too high? Needle and seat hung open with dirt? 2.5psi is ideal.

4. alchemy

alchemy

olscrounger, 30tudor and Bandit Billy like this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^X2 on the 12-804. Just say no to the round dial types.

sidevalve8ba and denis4x4 like this.
  6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Re-popping this old thread. Anyone having issues setting the Holley pressure regulator?
    Currently working on a very mild flatty, 2 Stromberg 97's (newly rebuilt), Holley 12-804 (new),
    unknown brand in line 12v pump (looks like Mr. Gasket, black). Max pressure won't stay set at 2.0, varies. Flatty runs great at 1.75 - 2.

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Probably the best way, but not the easiest, would be to dismantle the stock mechanical fuel pump and put in a lighter diaphragm spring.

Measure the pressure output of the stock pump before dismantling and measure the force needed to compress the spring to its working compression height. Then use your 'rithmetic to figure out what the force should be on a replacement spring and scrounge one up or wind one.

8. triumph 1

triumph 1

I’ve been running the holley low pressure regulator for several years with no issues. I thought I was having problems but it ended up being my glycerin filled fuel pressure gauge. Swapped it for one from dickster on here & pressure stays as adjusted.