Register now to get rid of these ads!

Preserving Patina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Model T1

Model T1

Again I ask "Is patina (rust) traditional?"
    Back in the day, as the old dudes say, trucks looking like that was where we started a project with hopes to remove the rust and repaint.
    Some worn paint can look Kool. Rust is never cool.

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Maybe THAT'S the look he wants to preserve.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Anybody ever used lanolin (the oil/grease from sheep wool) I've heard it is a good natural preservative for raw metal.

Not sure how it would weather or last on a used vehicle, that is why I ask the question...

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Nice! I'd probably rattle can the mirror mounts but that's about it.

5. Model T1

Model T1

The truck in post #29/#34 looks KOOL. The OPs truck is too rusty and needs to be saved by removing the rust and at least shooting it with primer. But some people like the look so go for it till it rusts thru. New parts are available.

6. 1955IHC

1955IHC

I like the way it looks. I wish mine looked like that.:):thumbup:

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Patina threads are always great.

8. indyjps

indyjps

CLR with a scotch brite, you need to smooth out any rough areas, buff the whole truck with 3M imperial hand glaze, wax heavily and often, good old turtle wax paste, its cheap and its not like you're looking for a mirror shine. The imperial hand glaze works wonders on faded paint, I've brought back some very scroungy faded paint with it, without cutting it like a buffing compound.

9. <table id="post9311145" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_9311145" style="border-right: 1px solid #e5e5e5"> CHECK OUT WHAT THIS GUY DID..
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by SmokinBill [​IMG]
    Here's what i did to our '56
    Original paint/patina, did'nt want paint at this time. So i wrapped it in 3M vehicle graphic material. Saved and preserved the original paint and patina. and looks brand new again. can remove at anytime and replace with a different color for the year or three. $450 in material and 30 hours labor for install
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

</td></tr></tbody></table>
    That looks fantastic!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
    </td> </tr> <tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #e5e5e5; border-top: 0px"> [​IMG] [​IMG] </td><td class="alt1" style="border: 1px solid #e5e5e5; border-left: 0px; border-top: 0px" align="right"> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

10. i wonder does that 3M vehicle graphic material come in a clear film?, that would be interesting.
    Al.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So would metalflake!

12. rayjzyd

rayjzyd
    from Washington

I've used por15 rust stop. The clear almost water looking. Wipe on wash off with the solution they give. The use flat clear. Last awhile eventually it will start rusting again under the clear about 3 years for the one I did.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

wide whites...works great

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

PB blaster penitrating spray and fine steel wool, scrub the shit out of it ! you'll be amazed how much color comes back,makes water run off it like wax. by the way, rust, oxidation of steel,is a metal finish, just like paint ! ever see a painted guard rail anymore?? Chris

15. Howielones

Howielones
    from Ohio

We used vegetable oil on our 48 Chevy...darkened it up a bit (the surface rust) and we were never going to drive in the rain as we did not put wipers back on. Only prep work was banging out a big dent by passenger headlight.

Attached Files: