Register now to get rid of these ads!

Prep engine for paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baggs, May 12, 2011.

1. Baggs

Baggs

Just wondering what everyone has had good luck with for cleaning and degreasing an engine before painting. i have used and heard that foamy engine bright works well, but i want to know what others have used and liked.

Jason

2. rougebeats

rougebeats

Hot tar and a feather rag....you wont see ANY grease or oil! :D

Seriously though, You are right on with the engine bright for the hardcore stuff, but after that try using a diluted Simple Green degreaser. I swear by the stuff, and it doesnt leave a nasty residue.

Buicking likes this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Degrease in your favorite way 1st. Afterward, wash well with a nylon brush and mineral spirits and let it dry. Right before paint, I like to wash a bare block with lacquer thinner and good bristle brush. Watch your eyes. Don't ask me how I know (!). At this point the venerable rattle can approach is ready, but if you're going show/restoration with a spray gun I like to lay a thin wet coat of epoxy primer, the non-sanding type, let it set up for an hour, then paint. The less material to achieve your look the longer it will last. Good luck...and we wanna see it if it's something kool!

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What he said. foaming degreaser is a good start but not enough.

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After.

I like to use an old siphon feed paint gun with lacquer thinner for a final rinse. Then let it dry and shoot. If you didn't get all the oil you can see it as it washes away. When it's all gone it's ready.

5. Use some bulldog after prime, wait 10 minutes and paint.
    That will make it stick

6. Baggs

Baggs

well, i work at a body shop, i will be painting it with single stage witha spray gun. i will go with the foaming degreaser, then follow with the thinner, there is plenty around here. i know it would be messy, but i wonderi if i could use a wire wheel with the thinner and maybe use a little less time??? well i will be doing it saturday, and hopefully painting it too!!! its not really anything special, just a 302 with gt 40 heads.

7. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I really like using brake cleaner. Its a degreaser and disolves instantly with no residue

8. Willy301

Willy301

^^^x2^^^

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Believe it or not, some brake cleaners will leave enough residue to make it peel the 1st time it gets warm.

+1 on the spray gun method for the lacquer thinner, but you may still end up brushing it some. Since you work in a bump shop you have all you need to get it done. FWIW, I'd do the degrease the night before since there's some water involved. Just sayin...

10. Baggs

Baggs

well, all the cleaning i will be doing will not be the day of painting, with the exception of wax and grease remover before paint. thanks for all the input ya'll!!! i will keep you all posted on the progress