Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Prefection....I know we all want it

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by soapman, Jan 24, 2014.

1. soapman

soapman
    from California

Trying to get my 32 frame of unknown origon, model a front, banjo rear, extended rpu body to line up. How perfect does perfect need to be?
    I know the 'shops' have jigs....I have strings and tape measures. I think I am more like back then......but the HAMB beats up nothing less then wonderfull.
    I have built in adjustment in my build, it just seems HAMB rock stars are always right on the money.

2. Ianjaylights

Ianjaylights

As perfect as you want it. Now is the time to make the adjustments, before you paint it and put it together. It comes down to how you want it and how happy you're going to be with the end result. I don't have a jig either.

3. no jig , i have built a lot of frames on sawhorses. levels/strings/tape measures/angle finders can work just fine if you know what you are doing. but if you don't know what you are doing all the fancy tools won't help

4. soapman

soapman
    from California

Seems perfection is just one measurement away. With out all the fancy shit, can I dail perfection in with enough adjustment?

Attached Files:

5. luke13

luke13

havent built a car yet but ive built many motorcycle frames, i tryed to use a jig once and didnt like it. we just used a 1/2" thick steel workbench with a permanent centerline and some tapped holes, stringlines, striaght edges and rafter squares, a good spirit level are all ya really need, those lasers are real good too, remember the road that it'll be driven on aint all that accurate ethier.

6. Seems like you have a bad attitude. Can you adjust away flex in a rebar drag link, or U-bolt steering arm?

And it's "Perfection" and "dial".

7. soapman

soapman
    from California

Thanks Luke, that's what I want to know...........
    My stuff as not been hit by a trash truck, but it is not perfect in any way.
    My Dad, an old school 4 banger dude, laught at me for trying to hard with my quad 4 bangor. So the question remains.....How perfect is perfect? Or, are we pushing "perfection" a little to far?

8. soapman

soapman
    from California

Thanks Nevala for making sure that I have all my mock up shit ready to go.....Heyo, notice the shitty vice grips? smart guy?
    Anyway....Thanks for real answers.

9. Are the only real answers the ones that agree with your opinion?
    Show something of your finished work that compares with the people that you want to throw shade at.

Also: "laughed" and "banger".

10. 3340

What ianjaylights Said And Others, For Me Getting It Perfect Is The Fun Of The Build And Self Satisifaction.

11. Jigs aren't all they are cracked up to be if they aren't perfect themselves. I had a frame that was built by a rod shop in Tennessee. He used a jig. After I got the engine/trans and rearend all mounted up and had the cab placed correctly I put my truck bed on it only to find that the very rear of the frame was welded ¾ too narrow on each side. Other than change everything, I have decided to change the rear fender mounting and make a custom fitted spreader bar.

12. Larry T

Larry T

I've never build anything that I thought was perfect. I can always find flaws or something I would do a little differently next time.

I do try to figure out what is acceptable and what's not.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

perfection is boring and highly over rated...$$$

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Holy crap that really is rebar and a U bolt! I thought you were kidding. Lot of attitude for a FNG. There are lots of good people here to help. If you're nice. I think all anyone is saying is get GOOD parts together BEFORE your search for perfection.

15. bgaro

bgaro

there's only one perfect. i usually go with....good enough to sleep at night.