Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Not at this time. We had discussed it and I have chopped several other projects but for now no.
    Micky has a pretty good eye for the lines. We have actually figured how to lower the roof two and a half inches and not really chop it. The roof area over the doors and the windshield /back window can be lowered and not actually chopping it. Just not sure I want that look. I do not deny that I love the original look of the Gasser Passer.

els and loudbang like this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Picture caption
    Anglia /Prefect Gasser bumper kit. Some assembly required. 650$ plus the ride.
    Just Kidding.
    Ok. Got the bumper for Prefect built and installed.
    We are going to send both bumpers to powder coating when we start doing the final paint /etc.

Attached Files:

els, Dog_Patch and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Prefect just like the old days.

1947knuck and els like this.
  4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That was my idea on my 40 chev. Looking dood, are you going with black on the bumpers?

5. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on brother..

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Actually gonna powder coat it chrome. (Metallic silver). The front axle on the Willys is done this way and you can't tell it's not chromed. Figure the front axle will probobly get it also. Chassis and underside will get the black out treatment. Got a lot of masking to do for the front part of the chassis.

7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok got back inside valence panel completed.
    Also pulled engine and trans out so we can start running brake lines etc.

Attached Files:

els, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Running brakelines and tabs. I am OCD about neat bends. Tabs at Right angles and just correct flow. I'll be doing touch up paint on rear end. Wound up mounting tabs at different points for the flex lines for the rear disc set up.
    Come to the conclusion I probobly can't do production work. To damn picky. No pictures. Not real exciting stuff but makes or breaks a car. People don't want to pay for that though.

9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok through with brakes. The pics sure don't do justice. I am knit picky about the way I run things. Yep I'll finish painting now and you won't even know they are there.
    Word of warning. Throw every brake washer that is not copper away. I had two of those stupid aluminum -or what ever they are made of -washers that no matter what you did would not seal. I am not cool with some of the junk I've seen in the some after market caliper /banjo fittings
    Also got gauges in. I'll be running a digital removable tach. And before you bust my chops over this. Number one it's set up for the mag. Number two it's paid for. Three its removable so I can keep the dash clean.

Attached Files:

10. loudbang

loudbang

WOW those brake lines look GREAT.

1947knuck, els and enloe like this.
  11. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Oh no,not a period correct tach! Just kidding, the brake lines are a work of art. It's going to look good.

Atwater Mike, els and loudbang like this.
  12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks. Tach was supposed to go in our fed. But it now resides in Oklahoma. Tach was there and it's paid for. That thing was expensive. I've seen more than one race car that didn't have a tach. Lol

13. greybeard360

greybeard360

If this car has to go thru NHRA tech those brake lines won't pass. They have to run outside of the frame, thru it or be inside a steel tube where it passes the flywheel area. It can't run across the firewall if above the flywheel.

Good looking install though.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Not finished. It will pass in flying colors when I am. Not my first and all of my cars have passed in the end. Front engine rails are as knit picky as it comes from the NHRA.
    The Final assembly on the front axle. Installed kingpin end caps and packed wheel bearings and seals. Put in all the grade 8 bolts and locking nuts. Still got to paint. Lol

Attached Files:

15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Test fit trans pan/shield and cooler on dummy case. Cooler will be mounted to trans and will be hard lined. Will clean brackets up tomorrow. My reason is simple. Short hard lines,all mounted to the trans means everything moves together if it moves at all. No leaks no problems. The cooler does not hang down lower than the pan. Micky used a similar set up on all our front engine rails.

Attached Files:

els and Dog_Patch like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Good innovation on the short lines. Love the bolts all lined up waiting to be put in, we do think alike LOL. :)

1947knuck and els like this.
  17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok got the brackets trimmed and cleanedup and the first set of hard lines are done. Will use two line clamps at the mounting brackets to garentee no vibration issues. Will duplicate this and put It on both Willys and Prefect.
    Will be a while before I get back at it. Work picks up/starts getting hecktick again so will be back to weekends onlY. Summers over. Crap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Blown Red Ram, els and loudbang like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Brave man doing two projects at the same time ;)

19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

More like insane. But we are gonna run like this until the money runs out. Lol

20. els

els

I just looked at the whole thread on the build, VERY NICE. THIS CAR IS GOING TO BE A BLAST TO DRIVE.

GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thank you for the compliments.It should indeed be a ride.

loudbang, els and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got another set of hard lines done for the Willys set up. All are identical as all the tranny for all three cars will be identical.
    Also weighed the Opel the Prefect and the Willys.
    Opel 1213- less motor trans and some other stuff
    Prefect less motor trans 1433
    Willys 1932 all it lacked was the doors and interior.
    That is just as they sit now.

els, loudbang and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got a new window regulator for the driver side door. Now my window actually works.
    Also built a set of rolling stands. Kinda like being able to slide under at will and work on em and move em easily in shop.

Attached Files:

els, loudbang and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  24. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

els, enloe and loudbang like this.
  25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

You just need to move down here and make the number of gassers bigger in this part of the world. . Yep it gets hot here and contrary to popular belief it gets very cold also. But we don't have a lot of snow and a little secret. The shop has central heat /and air. Lol

27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

We are also close to Columbus Air Force base. But by county roads and Satelite this place don't exist. Nice and actually peaceful. Early in the morning and late just before dark if you look through the right places in the trees we get a free air show by everything from a B52 to some of that weird stuff that everyone says doesn't exist lol. And don't forget t the Ten Tom waterway if you like fishing hunting and speed boats. lol.

millman528, els and loudbang like this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok finished the roller/or rolling stands. Now the Willys is up like the Prefect. It makes things a lot easier to work on from the bottom side.
    Got some more hard lines built for the transmissions since we are gonna have three of them alike.

Attached Files:

loudbang and els like this.
  29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Look what I found. I wish I could say remember when. But I am a 67 model lol

Attached Files:

loudbang, enloe and els like this.
  30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. Got to work on my oil pan for the Prefect. This is a 10 1/2 deep pan from long ago. Had to do some repair on the back corner. Uncle Marion Fairchild had this pan on a bad little 58 corvette that had been turned into a wicked actor. And knowing some of the tracks it , as well as any of Uncle Marion's cars ran on, there is no telling how /or what happened. Turned out nice. Am going to add a scraper on passenger side also. Will clean up some of the old brazing but it didn't leak with mineral spirits so I don't figure it will leak with oil.
    Also got the door /diagonal bar in on the Willys. It will be the swing out type. I don't necessarily need it but mick is 6'5 and 3 plus. He does. So that one is going in. No pics of it will when it's finished. Also got the adel clamps on the trans lines. Should do nicely.

Attached Files:

GlassThamesDoug, els and loudbang like this.