Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Need your old blower to go on SBC in my prefect. Even got an old school Hilborn four hole vent ribbed injection hat to go on it. Lol
    That 57 in the back ground would make a sweet push/pit truck.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    swade41 and loudbang like this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Hey check up what just showed up.got two of them. Gonna remote mount and drive the water pump to clean up the front of the motor on both the Willy’s and the Prefect. Also going to drive the fuel pump off the cam. That way we have no belts at all.

Attached Files:

enloe and loudbang like this.
  3. Does that come with a block off plate for the cam drive ? I have one on my dummy motor to match the Enderle injection but I've wondered if they ever came with a plate.
    I plan on towing the Henry J to the track on an open trailer with the 57.

20180929_003241.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Good score.

1947knuck and enloe like this.
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

No block off plate. Just the cover /drive spud and bearing set/seal.I am not the biggest fan of that style needle cage bearing either but that is what they use so it is what it is.I have seen some with a little different set up. ( bronze brass bushing)We will see I just remember stories about the needles winding up in the oil pump.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    swade41, enloe and loudbang like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. We are getting ready to assemble engines and the like. Plan is to use one of my mule engines and do a cam swap and then use it to run in and tune our injectors etc before we build the engines that will go in to stay. Now we purchased 2 enderly covers and cam drives but the mule motor-is going to be a flogging engine so the tune will be close.
    So I am building a 3rd timing cover so we don’t have to run a belt drive system or purchase another cover. So here is where I am at now.stock steel cover old ,cam drive spud,3/4 thick machined spacer and a Hilborn pump. I used the drive to line it up and spot weld it. Then bolt it down with all the bolts and finish welding.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    enloe, swade41 and loudbang like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Getting to the good stuff now. :)

1947knuck, enloe and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Welded it up. Spins true with almost zero runout. Will have to clearance the bottom mounting ring a little more for the balancer. Weld could have been smaller and neater but I wanted to make sure it didn’t leak.So I let the gorilla out of the cage.

Attached Files:

9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got cover finished for the mile motor. Had to true it up. Warped up a little when it was welded.
    Also got master cylinder /and throttle pedal assembly installed.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Whew cutting it close for brake line installation. At least there are no sharp edges like in the door during window installation. :rolleyes:

1947knuck likes this.
  11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep. Those banjo fittings are a life saver. The reflection in one photo makes you think it’s is actually touching. Actually got about a 1/4 inch.

loudbang likes this.
  12. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Totally understand about your build thread. Nice Truck !!!!

lothiandon1940, loudbang and swade41 like this.
  13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok got front flexible /rubber brake lines installed. Also had a friend deliver on a deal from the past always wanted one of these. Also got another cover and spare enderly pump with the deal.

Attached Files:

swade41, enloe and loudbang like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Good deal. :)

1947knuck and enloe like this.
  15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I know it doesn't look like it but I have been working on all the hoses and lines on the Willys , just not photo worthy yet.
    I also left last Saturday to look at a pair of early 327 blocks - of which I did secure- problem was that a forklift and M John Deere tractor followed me home also. Micky laughed until he remembered he had always wanted a forklift. The tractor is a 48 model M so hey at least it's vintage. Now if I can just come home with a vintage early funny car body. I have been Good this year Santa- Kinda Lol.

enloe, loudbang and mad mechanic like this.
  16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. Finally got the fuel tank/water pump and radiator mount finished. I wanted an assembly that was a quick release and actually could be removed as a unit. It will also allow for a clean front engine. I have always loved the look of no engine mounted water pump and a cam driven fuel pump. The water pump is below the radiator and hidden.Yet I still have full access to the pump /radiator /and fuel tank. It will give a totally clean look( like JR Fuelers have. ) Now I can build/ make all the fuel/radiator /hoses -lines. I am going to use the push lock that look the hoses from the gasser era. I actually have enough steel braid but it’s just not the look I want. Radiator may get a coat of epoxy black radiator paint. Don’t know just depends on what looks right. If you look close you will see that the radiator comes out with pull pins. Don’t have the overflow can mounted yet but I will weld tabs for passenger side mounted tank.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    enloe and loudbang like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

MERRY CHRISTMAS To you and yours and Mick and your crew.

1947knuck likes this.
  18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks Loudbang. MerryChristmas to you and yours also. Been another good year. God smiled on me and us. Godspeed

loudbang likes this.
  19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Overflow /puke tank mounted and plumbed. All hard lines are finished. All has to come back off for powder coating. But it is finished.

Attached Files:

swade41 and loudbang like this.
  20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Christmas was very good here in more ways than one. My family is well. Micky and his family are well and getting stronger every day. Bill is well. God has smiled on us.
    Over the many years I have known Micky- We always tried to do the best we could and do everything in house. That usually means there are times that the hard way is going to be the only way. All these years of set up we always used a sbc stripped block to do our set up which as good as it is means it’s a hassle to dummy up without rearranging the shop. Also I love really neat lines and hoses. Steel braid and push lock are great but also a royal pain. So low and behold what showed up Saturday/and this morning. A push lock vice /fitting clamp /cutter and a light weight block /and heads/and these have really good bolt bosses. So we did a few hoses and started mocking up Everything for fuel system /lines and fittings.Taped the radiator sleeve in place and bottom hose was done in no time Talk about improvement. No cherries picker needed and no bad words spoken while doing a few hoses. Note to self when Micky says he’s been thinking -He has been. Lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    swade41 and mad mikey like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Good stuff. Getting close now. :) good to hear Mick is improving.

1947knuck likes this.
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Happy New Year.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  23. Have a great one Mitchell. I like what you do. Lookin good.:)

loudbang likes this.
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Last work of the year. Lol. The bottom coolant lines are done. Will work on the others Thursday. Happy New Year.

Attached Files:

loudbang and swade41 like this.
  25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

7EE91593-E5F8-49CE-A67D-2F9E10158956.jpeg 09AB9DE6-7ED1-408E-8B39-D6A07BA0D61D.jpeg 9E85158D-0F0F-4DC9-A965-ED45AF86F596.jpeg Ok front cover/water lines and pump mounted. Gotta give Daryl at DSR a shout out for keeping me straight. It’s a wonderful unit. Saves a lot of drilling and positioning.
    Gonna have to change the water fittings to 120 degree to clear the fuel inlet and especially the 3way cut off on pass side. Also Wessie Gray welded the vent fitting in the tank while I worked on the lines. He’s a friend that’s is a real deal mechanical/electrical engineer. He’s different that he can actually do all the cool stuff that so many of them talk about but can’t. He’s the real deal. I’ll take his help anytime he’s offering.Also we are going to run the old style small early hubs. No big balancer. No need and mean no clearance issues with the pump.
    It’s getting there.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

It's going to be a "Clean" enginebay. :)

1947knuck likes this.
  27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got tank filter and pump feed line completed. I haven’t mounted in the brackets yet but I intend on all fuel and water lines to be mounted in sets and clusters. Fuel lines will be minimum 3 inches from coolant lines. I am going to adel clamps to cluster and mount in specific plains but the will be mounted with a quick /clean mount /disconnect system that I have used for years on all my front engine rails. I actually considered doing hard lines except from tank to pump and thought better of it. Micks exact words push loc is easy and looks more to the era. Point taken.
    Day job cranks back up the 6th. Back to weekend work time.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got a fair amount done. Will use adel clamps to secure and separate the hoses in a neat and orderly fashion when we are all finished. Radiator fittings will be welded in. Will simply be cleaner.
    I will not state what we have invested in fittings and hoses(fuel system)-and we are not even finished. I’ll simply say this. I have built some really good running smalls block for this amount. But hey everything matches and looks good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    enloe likes this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang