Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Got this one yet? :)

prefect & rish.JPG

1947knuck and enloe like this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok got some blocking done today. Masked off the windows too. I have to also mask off the door jams again to safe guard against over spray etc. getting ready to shoot the sealer and hopefully the paint in a few.
    Also made a metal stump. Comes as an accessory to the help shape my metal and such for English wheel /brake /and bead roller.

Attached Files:

enloe and loudbang like this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I sure do have that photo. I actually looked at buying a 1966 Chevy lcf/flat nose and extending /adding a 64-66 suburban/carry all body to it. And then building the rest.kinda like this. But the ramp truck showed up and was turn key with air conditioning and did something the previous truck wasn’t. It was /is dependable. Lol

Attached Files:

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

That truck is awesome.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Took all the shinny off today and masked up. Started blocking the top. Got probably two more days of blocking at least.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Closer and closer. :) How's Mick doing?

1947knuck likes this.
  7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Micks doing very well. Thanks for asking. Gonna block all the way down with 400/scotch bright pads.I figure at least will take till Friday.Shoot the same metallic silver used in the interior on the underside of the front cap then flip and start sealing everything. Last time I painted a full inside/outside job was 1987. Lot has changed since then.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Blocked top and doors. Looks like they are good. Tack ragged it off and called it.

Attached Files:

loudbang and enloe like this.
  9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Blocked the rest today other than front cap. Get to it tomorrow. Made the decision to pull rear fenders and paint them and front cap first and separate.
    I am wondering if I need to paint paint the lip in the grill opening a semi gloss black rather than red to make the lip disappear.

Attached Files:

10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Officially throughwith blocking and sanding. Also blocked dash. Cut radius and blended the edges on the rear fenders. Looks finished now.
    Will pull rear fenders and start cleaning the both and equipment. Give a bath and Mask and get after it.

Attached Files:

mad mechanic likes this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Ready for some paint fumes. :)

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

gonna see RED.

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok rear fenders off front cap off and this leaves the firewall and removing the master cylinder. Need to do a little scuffing /sanding on the rear fender edges/fire wall. I can promise you Allen headed bolts will not go back in the rear fenders. Now I simply make the list and go at it one step at a time.

Attached Files:

14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Today’s progress. Doesn’t look like much but got the booth and floors half way clean.Will soap and water bath everything tomorrow. Cap rear fenders and dash.
    Cap is sitting on temp stands. Mask car and shoot Friday. Doing something I have never done before with paint. Taking my time

Attached Files:

Atwater Mike, enloe and loudbang like this.
  15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok made some changes to paint booth. Added 2 feet of height and sealed the bottom. Mopped the floor and layer everything out. Gonna use two guns/cups to speed up the process. Waiting till in the morning to wash with soap and water and that way I know. Sealer and paint tomorrow. I hope.

Attached Files:

16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

It’s 12:30 it’s late and I just finished the cap fenders and dash so if this doesn’t come out or sound right I’ll edit it tomorrow.
    It’s not perfect. The fenders and dash turned out super nice. Look deep and shiny. Probobly will require nothing.
    The front cap is very shinny. But due to one hell bound bug and hose there are a couple of very small imperfections. The pics actually show the double reflection as a dull glare. I have some very light orange peel on the passenger side/“lower rear portion of the front fender. I probobly did it when I was painting the inner lip and wheel well opening. Proboly have to wet sand and buff that area to get it as slick as the rest.
    Clean booth out and role car in tomorrow. And prep the same way. Let’s hope it works. As small as a Willy’s is. I was shocked at how big that front cap is. Again the fenders and dash are small. I have almost 3 complete Quarts on the cap dash and rear fenders. Glad I ordered 2gallons. Sleep must have sleep. Later

Attached Files:

17. loudbang

loudbang

Pretty good painting for a "professional Willys window glass installer" :rolleyes:

18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Just woke up and realized I didn’t hit post. Damn paint fumes. Thanks Loudbang. I think there are going to be a couple of spots on the front cap I am going to have to water sand and buff. Being that it’s acrylic enamel with hardener etc etc. should he no big deal. I just hate clear coats. And this is after all a race car.
    Micks response was to put enough paint on it and we can buff all my screw up away. Gotta love him.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    enloe, raven and loudbang like this.
  19. WCreighton

WCreighton

Looking great, Mitchell. I’m excited to see the finished product. Keep it up!

Will

20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Well looks like I’ll be doing the cap over. Two places where the paint either lifted or the sealer bled back through or the thinner flashed on pass fender and around the headlight area. Looked good when I left last night. Got my feelings hurt today when I unveiled.
    Gonna go ahead and paint the rest of the car and come back and fix the cap later.
    I am considering wet sanding re coat and clear coating. But the cap has to be fixed. But the idea of clearing the acrylic to make it slick ticks me. Should be decent before that in my opinion.
    Also. How in the heck do you paint the three curved sections on the Willys cap. The underside of that belt line is a pain and it didn’t lay down like I wanted. Has anyone on the board got experience with painting this cap.
    Normally I wouldn’t be so up tight but this makes painting my 56 Chevy truck years ago a joke. It’s has so many curves back to back and it’s next to impossible to keep the gun in the perfect position it needs to be in.
    The Willy’s is small yet big. I am also considering using more thinner. The ratio is one to 4 parts paint according to instructions. I have in the past gone as much as one to one. But I followed directions. One way or another it will be right. I have and we have always been in house with everything. I am determined to keep that idea but yes I am asking for help, advice , magic midget or anything else that will work. I really am thinking wet sand and re coat the top coat. Sorry for the blow off should be happy I have what I have. I was just hoping I hadn’t lost my touch. Lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    enloe likes this.
  21. WCreighton

WCreighton

Don’t get discouraged, you’ll get it. I think I speak for everyone here when I say I really respect your need to get things right, that’s going to set this car apart.

Will

loudbang likes this.
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks Will.
    Again we are pretty much in house.Its just our nature/ for a variety of reasons - mostly just as with everything else -we have always been. Its been a LONG time since I have done a total - I have always used acrylic enamel / no clear and always had good results and durability.Even a metallic or two over the years. This is a race car but I still want it the best it can be. This is the first Willys Iv'e ever painted. And its a learning curve.

23. loudbang

loudbang

Did it affect the color or just the smoothness?

1947knuck likes this.
  24. WCreighton

WCreighton

What's the racing plan for when the car is finished?

Will

loudbang likes this.
  25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Mostly the smoothness/ color is there. To be honest- I probobly did it trying to keep runs out. I like to run the gun close to the surface and move fast/ hvlp set up so the wet test at the gun with trigger pulled needs to be about 30 psi.All of which was like clock work. I am figuring that I crossed the fine line on distance about 4 inches or less when I had to stretch way over for the big hood/ fenders- and moved to fast. . That's what stumped me when I left the booth it was wet looking / laid down slick and looked great. Its almost like the sealer hadn't flashed enough and came up.Got my feelings hurt this afternoon when we walked back in to move and prep again for the car.
    Use Dawn /water bath / then wiped it with the brand name prep. ( spray bottle and wiped immediately didn't let it set / only in one direction.)lint free store bought body shop towels/ and even invested in bigger capacity paint cups / 33 oz so I didn't have to stop and refill so much. Mixed all the paint per instructions (3 quarts ) at the ratios etc by the directions/ thinner as per temp correct etc/ hardener/ . I may actually test with more thinner percentage and watch to see how it flashes Saturday. I am calling the paint manufacture /comp tech line in the morning - had good luck before with them -so I don't think that's it -( they have always been very helpful )- more of trying to figure out what I did or didnt do.. I am going to mask and prep the booth Saturday- prep again Monday morning shoot the car as soon as possible.

26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

We left the racing scene for a little while- ( around 2011 was the last FED we fielded). We were big into front engine rails/ and altereds. Health issues hit some of our group and them traveling was out. Iran the last FED solo for a couple of years - more like work/ and i was the only one having any fun. The willys / prefect and a few others took there place- everyones health improved / they retired and we are essentially back at it again. we always did well at BG/ and a few others ,but I am not a real big fan of going to a race track anymore where I have to worry about environment.I had rather go 4 times a year to specific / select tracks and enjoy than deal with what we used to . Older ,Smarter - I hope, and want to have Fun with it- The build is also part of the journey- there are 3 of us here - we all left the main scene years ago to kinda refocus.- Time has been our friend.

enloe, WCreighton and loudbang like this.
  27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Dave Crane was a fun guy to be around from your part of the world.Hes passed but man he kept me rolling on the ground. Billy Hullit also passed form Florida /by way of New Jersey- Get him and Dave together - never a dull day at BG. seems like a long time ago-miss em both.

loudbang likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

I would just scratch it with some 600 and re-shoot. I wouldn't go all the way back to metal.

1947knuck, enloe and Auggie Dawgie like this.
  29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Loudbang you are correct . I am going to do just that. I Did however figure out what I did wrong - AND IT WAS MY SCREW UP. The sealer needed 3 plus hours to flash according to the tech guy.( just got off the phone) I gave it an hour. Lesson learned . The old sealers from years ago i have actually shot and then laid paint over them within 30 - That was with the materials from that era. Even acrylic enamel is different now. Old Dog Must Learn New Tricks.
    I'll shoot the rest of the car/body and then fix the cap. Then I'll decide as to weather I am going to clear. Live and learn.

30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Back at it to day. Soap and water bath and dry. Set up ready to start masking. And seal to the floor.
    Come Monday its gonna hit the fan. Sealer and paint that is

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.