Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the deep moroso I had a similar depth on the old 292. Has good ok l pressure, one with BBC oil pump, other with no SBC pump.

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    els and loudbang like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Nice clean work as usual.

1947knuck, els, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Doug
    Do you mean run the BBC or sbc pump. What was your experience with the pan. Just trying to avoid problems. Anything that I should know ?

GlassThamesDoug, loudbang and els like this.
  4. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have 2, one was a BBC oil pump, and the Other was a HP pump. Both work good....plenty of oil, and no fear of aeration. I ran the pan on the 292....and the oil never turned dark. This pan does not have clearance issues with Starter or oil filters either. These use the Moroso flat windage tray. Use that new Silicone Oil Pan Gasket...leak free.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Sounds great. I also have the big block pump and deep 3/4 pickup. I already have the one piece pan gasket. I am going to add the 1/2 in scraper to the pass side.
    Thanks for the info Doug. I have run deep pans and usually with a longer sump to the front (remember the pans on my blown six?) but never this deep.
    The grump has several references in his book running way deeper than this.
    This pan is kinda sentimental for me as it did come from the one and only Marion Fairchild.

GlassThamesDoug, els and loudbang like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok got through with Driverside diagonal bar. I did cap the ends of the tubing. Even at the pivot points at the tubing ends.

Attached Files:

7. loudbang

loudbang

Looks great as usual.

1947knuck, els and enloe like this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks for the compliment. Means a lot to a a group that is self taught and have the notched screw ups to prove it. Lol

I just couldn't bring myself to leave the tubes uncapped the way you see a lot of brand named shops do. I know it's an expendable chassis that wont be there very long in their eyes but details not flash or cubic money always stuck out more in my eyes.
    Not saying my stuff is better than anyone else's. I assure you it's not. I would be doing it full time probobly if I thought I could right now.
    But I have to look at it every day. And that matters to me a lot.
    I would honestly like nothing better than not having to put it in at all. But I would be nowhere with out Micky /his shop-tools/and his knowledge that he has shared for over 20 years.He is my brother. Period. What he wants -he gets. Plus there are 3 gassers and we need three drivers and contrary to what Mick thinks --he's a very good driver.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That does look really nice, never really thought about it, think I'll cap mine. Whose swing out deal did you use? Also, I must of missed that seat in the build, that is bad a$$.

PA-IndianRider, els and loudbang like this.
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Chassis engineering is where I got it. But S and W also has em. Jegs carries them also.
    I cheated on the aluminum seat in the Prefect. ( welded two aluminum seats together -they were cheap. Lol) I built the Willys bench from scratch. The Willys is our really nice car. The Prefect and the Opel are kinda the flog and beat the heck out of them gassers. The buckets just looked cheap to me. And I had the stuff. That was indeed a weeks worth of work. If I had been doin it for a living I would have lost mya$$. Not many people willing to pay for that kind of detail. I decided not to put the holes and flaring . It was just so slick and looked right.
    Again thanks for the compliments.

11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Decided to mock up the scraper /on passenger side of pan. Also made a pattern for the back wall to keep oil from crawling up. Dont figure I'll put in more than 5/8 from back wall.Probobly 1 1/2 max off the floor. Been studying a lot of baffle/ scraper designs. Seems to be common design used by most.

Attached Files:

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Capped off the four main frame roll cage tubes that extend through the frame mounts etc. no pictures. Not really anything special just needed to be done to suit me.
    Diagonal bars are finished both sides. Micky worked on mc and realized it's gonna be tight for the size we are using. He used the banjo fittings and it will make running lines a breeze. Glad we have some thin wrenches gonna need them. Glad we put the fold out bar in after all. That aluminum bench goes back in lots easier.

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser and els like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Wow can't get much closer than that. It Looks great just like it is.

14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Oh yea got a shipment in from TCP off the west coast. Gonna use a metallic bed linner on the inside. It will be wear resistant, semi gloss and metallic. Almost a perfect match for the seat and door panels.
    The dash and door panels s will be body color anyway. The cage will also be body color.Viper Red.
    After we run brake lines/mock up windows and trim openings the interior paint will probobly fall.
    Yep we got our glass in. Nope I didn't get red or yellow tinted. Yes I wanted it. But I am to cheap. Lol

15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got toe boards finished.The trans tunnel /floor pan/ toe boards are one piece. Will use a double row of bolts/polylocks to seal and secure.
    That's about all I accomplished today. Later.

Attached Files:

loudbang, els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang and els like this.
  17. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got all your 302 parts. Going thru the oil pans found 2X of the Deep Sumps one has rails for GM style windage tray... One is a Summit Kit, other is a Moroso.

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    loudbang and els like this.
  18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep got pretty much everything mocked up. I still have one more back wall baffle I am goin to put in but it's about time to start assembly. Lol

loudbang, els and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Seat is done other than scotch brite and possible clear coat Finished welds and cut all the openings for the seat belts.
    I'll start the bolt bosses for the trans tunnel next. Looks like it will be removable after all.

Attached Files:

20. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That looks awesome!

21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks -I wish I could get more done in a week - day job keeps getting in the way. Lol.

els, GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yesterday's work. Ok transfloor pan is now permanent. It will get a coating of bed liner/ which is going to be silver metallic.
    Got the breathers/t handles in for the valve covers. Hope you like the look. They were dang near as much as the valve covers. But they do look good.

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser, els, enloe and 2 others like this.
  23. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Looks really sweet!

24. loudbang

loudbang

Closer and closer you creep. On BOTH :)

25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

els likes this.
  26. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

I AGREE with Mike C.... I "LOVE" the bench seat.

Not something seen in a Willys Coupe that often.... OR for ME not often enough. GREAT LOOK.

We also put a "bench seat" in our '41 coupe. NOT as COOL as yours BUT effective just the same.... It came out of a "1946 SCHOOL BUS".

We are going for a Late 50's - Early 60's Look. AKA "in my own words" ..... a "Low-$ Build !

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks and I understand completely. This is a lifetime of parts stash trading and selling all of my/our front engine rails altereds etc.
    Today Micky got another shipment of parts. This time for the blasting cabinet. One of those dust collectors from Eastwood. He put it on and played with it. Like severything I've ever gotten from Eastwood it works great.
    I worked solely on fitting the windshield opening and rear windows as well. Killed my miniature air saw. Gotta go to harbor freight later this week and get another. Can't complain. That one was at least 20 years old. No pics. Got late on me fast today.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    els, loudbang and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  28. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rock On ...2018 is on the way..

29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok got all window openings cut/trimmed / and made the patterns for the glass.
    Picked us up a really nice 44 inch tool cabinet at dirt cheap to help organize some of our specialty tools. Maybe it will help me build faster.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Getting closer.

1947knuck and enloe like this.