Register now to get rid of these ads!

PPG Platinum paints question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutwagonfromhell, Dec 28, 2007.

1. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

Has anybody tried the PPG PLatinum paint yet? How does it behave with other chemicals and certain primers? I tried hot hues irish green candy once and it sucked hardcore. It actually ate into the bottom layers of paint and down into the primer. Does the platinum do anything like that, like a total pain in the butt? My friend wants their car painted lime green and I was wanting to try the platinum paints if they make a lime green in it. would ppg dp-90 primer work better with these types of custom paints? This is my last paint job I ever do, and I want my last job to be wild. Body work is a horrible job to have these days. I`m thinking I should use all PPG materials on it. I`m quitting body work and doing motor cycle mechanics.

2. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I've been using Matrix paint. It's the knock off of PPG, looks good and a lot less cash. And I'm shooting it over Southern Polyurethanes primers.

3. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

It is always important to use a matching systems approach when it comes to painting. The PPG line is a great one and if it used correctly you will have no problems. I teach autobody/Refinishing and custom painting and many times I have used different companies products with no ill effects, but there have been other times when problems have come up. It is always a good idea to use a product like the line of DP epoxy primers as a final sealer before applying top coats to avoid any trouble, but it is not always a garantee that it will solve all problems between mismatched refinishing materials. Make sure that you read all of the product information sheets for the products you are using reguardless of the manufacturer to determine if what you are using is compatable with whatever substrates you are applying them over. When in doubt, you should strip the surface to bare metal and start over with a total paint system.

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Is that the new replacement for OMNI?

5. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

NO,,Matrix is not afiliated with PPG,,

Omni's replacment is "Shopline" by PPG

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats what I had heard. I hadn;t heard of the matrix though, thought I may have missed somehting.