Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PPG paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLDSMAN, May 4, 2014.

1. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have always used Dupont paint, and had very good results wirh their paint. About a month ago a friend drive his 39 Chevy over and had me look at some screwed uo paint on it. This car was painted a little less than three years ago at a Body shop here in town, they told him it was because of the paint underneath what they had put on. I think that they were jerking his chain, and just wanted more money to repait their mess. They wanted $2000 to repair the paint. He already paid them $8000 for the job. This shop uses PPG paint, I told my friend that if he supplied the materials I would fix it for him. The car was painted last time in PPG. They use screwing mixing formulas, not as user friendly as Dupont. Has any one else out there used PPG products? Just would like to know your thoughts

2. Heo2

Heo2

I have used ppg for 25 years since i first tried it. Never a
    problem
    The best paint in my opinion

3. Painted my Chevy with it 16 years ago and still looks like new.

4. '48IHC

'48IHC

Haven't been spraying very long but I would choose PPG in a heartbeat. I have experience with BASF, Martin señor, DuPont and sikkens.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Been shootin PPG since it was Ditzler (that'll tell ya how old and how long I've been using it).
    What is the problem you have with the exsisting paint job?

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yhe way it looks they put too much paint and the solvent escaped later causing some crazing of the paint where the roof meets the trunk area of the car. I would just as soon juse Dupont, but was afraid to mix manufacgtures of paint in this case. I just don't like all the goofy mixing rations 3-1-1, 4-1-1 combinations ev ery thing in Dupont is 1-1 or 4-1, just simpler, I also think Dupont goes on smoother than PPG

7. BigChief

BigChief

I've been using PPG since the name on the can was Ditzler. I've also used Martin Senior, Dupont, R-M and others....all with good results.

Regardless of the brand of paint you use, it is only as good as what is under it.

It is very likely you'll need to do what the other shop didn't and strip it to bare metal and start over.

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I was told by people who have more experience than me, that when body shops try to out smart the mix ratios recommended by paint manufactures they have problems.

Ago

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

FWIW, The Dupont Company has sold off their automotive paint line to another company within the last couple of years. I don't know anything about the new company, but I wouldn't bet their new products to be anything like the old Dulux, Centari, Lucite or their urethanes.:(

Ditzler/PPG has been through some changes as well, and I wouldn't bet their product line up to be much like the old Delstar, Delthane, or Omni.

10. When you say " crazed" maybe a modern urethane over lacquer? I know some will chime in bad say " i do it all the time" as for PPG they wouldn't sell truckloads of paint if it was junk...DuPont Automotive Aftermarket Refinishes got bought buy a conglomerate and it's called Axalta, products are the same DuPont wanted out of aftermarket and still sells paint to the oem's

11. Seems to me that an $8000.00 paint job should not have been done over some other guys work. I'd call him on that one, and whatever the outcome, he wouldn't get a second chance on my car. You're a class act offering to help your friend out of a jam, Kudos to you.
    That said I think you'll be OK with the Dupont if you're going to re shoot the whole car, just use a good compatible sealer.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The pathetic part is that this shop stripped the whole car except this area. I don't quite understand the logic there. I stripped it to bare metal and starred over. Since I was going to blend into existing paint (PPG) I am using PPG to hopefully eliminate any problems. This was a paint job in urethane done about 15 years ago in Dupont, and this time around was done in PPG. This shop used to shoot Dupont, got into a row with the parts house that supplied them paint, because of problems with the paint. After seeing this mess, I feel pretty confident that they are doing something bad wrong with their paint prep. This shop switched to PPG about 3 or 4 years ago after those problems. Thanks for everyones advice

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey, this does sound like a paint prep issue. Were there other areas that lifted or ''crazed'?

Also, what did you find under the paint it the area in question?

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

All the major manufacturers make good products, mostly it's personal, or shop preference why people use what they do. And most times when there's problems, it usually poor prep or painter's errors...wrong components, not proper ratios mixed, or adding/subtracting components.
    Certainly seem like that here, why in the world didn't they strip that one area????

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

There was some filler over the leaded seams, primer and twomlayers of paint. Nothing else I could see. I have no idea as to why they did not strip this area. It will probably remain a mystery to all of us.

16. JNR426

JNR426
    from Cairns

I've used and sold PPG paint products in the past and found them quite good to work with. Sounds like your shop has prep issues. There are products out there that seal in the existing paints and allow you to apply new product over the top without the old and new layer interaction. If this was done correctly, you wouldn't have an issue.
    It's a cop out that they're blaming the paint. They just don't want to pay for their mistake.

17. It's always that one spot left that comes back to haunt you

18. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I have shot ppg for the last 15 years. I have shot just about every other out there. Like anything, its usually a fault of the tech or the prep.

19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would just as soon use Dupont, as that is what I use and am familar with. However, because of blending into existing paint I will use PPG, and hopefully eliminate any problems. I got the color and clear sprayed yesterday, and will wet sand and buff it tonight when I get off work

20. 51custom

51custom

I have been painting for 50 years and have tried them all...Every painter has his preference. I use nothing but DuPont...JMHO
    Jim

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Late yesterday, I sprayed on the color and clear. I used a blender in the last coat of clear, then straight blender for the last coat. A few minutes after the straight blender I took a look at mhy work, and found some drapes in the cleat. I thought it was because the blender is like water. I waited until today, sanded the runs with one od those special blocks for runs, then wet sanded with 600. To finish it right I sanded through in a tiny spot, got out my air brusch, shot on some color. Waited about 10 minutes and sprayed on the clear. Another run. I am wondering now if he got ne a high temp clear. It was around 70 when I sprayed on the clear which would wxplain the problem. I have never had this problem with Dupont, but I always get mid temp products. Thw PPG can doesn't tell the temperature of the product

22. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Why did you shoot blender over all the clear. Blender is practically all solvent and could be the source of some of your clear problems. As far as the run, it could be primer, sealer, or even base that got missed before clear and has swollen up.

23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I use blender to make sure that the new clear blends in with the old clear. I have used Dupont blender before with no problems. When I got in the house tonight I searched the internet, and the DT885 reducer is designed for 75-90 temps. I think I found my problem, I should be using DT870 reducer which is for 65-80 temps

24. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I shoot allot of 870 and 885 reducers. There are allot of factors that could be at fault here. How does the overall clear look? Is it smooth and glossy or does it have a haze to it? The blender still concerns me. But maybe that's because I haven't heard of that method used over a whole job. I use 8753 blender allot, but only for doing spit in blends. Interesting. In any case, its always fixable one way or another. You should be fine.

25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The clear is smooth and glossy, just has a few runs. I have always used blender when repairing a panel with Dupont and never had this problem I think it must be the temp of the reducer. The temp today was aroung 65 when I sprayed on the clear. I know it will sand out, but what a pain in the ass this has been

26. I'm still not clear on the reason for the original post , was it to bash on PPG or to ask advice ,I've used a lot of PPG ,when ever I've had a problem I can usualy track it back to something I did or didn't do . I'm sure there are a lot of high end cars , AMBR etc with PPG on them . quite often it comes back to the painters ability ,sorry , I'm not trying to be a d**k , but probably just not a product you are used to

27. indyjps

indyjps

Pics would make this thread better. Amateur painter here, this may help me out of a jam if I can see what's happening.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

not too bash anyones product, I am a Dupont user, but after this, I don't feel that PPG is as user friendly as Dupont. None of the info I needed was on the cans, I had to find the info on the internet. At least Dupont temperature recommendations are on the can. The reducing info is only listed on the reducer, not on the primer or basecoat, I only found this in the net as well. The product does on smooth, I can't complain about that at all. If I would have known the temp range I would have had my buddy get the DT 870 reducer.

29. so I just went back and read again , I've never been a fan blending out a clear edge , I' always found it better in the long run to do a complete panel and yes sometimes a 1/4 panel repair will sometimes involve clearing both 1/4's and the roof, again it goes to the painters ability , it's just out of my comfort level . plus I don't like the look you see on some vehicles when the clear edge shows after time . but as you probably know ,if you ask 6 mpainters you will get six different answers

34toddster likes this.
  30. yes I will admit to some frustrating searching on the net for PPG tech info , deffinately not their strong point , regardless of what you use good luck with the project . I really do hate fixing someone else' mess