Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PPG paint help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod31, Nov 3, 2015.

1. HotRod31

HotRod31

First I have searched every primer thread I could find with no answer.(most are outdated) Also checked PPG website.I would like to know the difference between JP285 2K Urethane Surfacer & JP202 2K Primer Surfacer . Is one better than the other ? I plan to shoot it over JP377 Epoxy Primer, and topcoat with JAU Direct Gloss Acrylic Urethane. Thanks

2. Are you going to use a high-build or a sealer in between? Honestly, I'd download the tech sheets from PPG and see what works with what. I was surprised as to what substrates weren't compatible with others. You may find your answer that way.

3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

4. I don't want to sound like a smart Alec but perhaps a call to your local PPG jobber would help clear up any confusion regarding the correct product application.

yruhot likes this.

5. HotRod31

HotRod31

I have downloaded the tech sheets BOTH of the products are compatible with the other components and each other. They both are 2k primers with no sealer being required. I have used the JP202 before I was just trying to see if the JP285 might be better, I know it is tintable but I don't need that.

6. HotRod31

HotRod31

Sorry I meant to add Shopline by PPG
    I am going with the JP202 its $30 cheaper, only thing I can find is the other is tintable both are high build.
    Thanks

john worden likes this.
  7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

8. Jp202 is able to be applied with a roller.
    202 is 4-1-1 mix ratio &
    285 is 5-1-1 mix ratio.
    They have different flash times too.