Register now to get rid of these ads!

PPG Concept problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 27 Tall T, Apr 2, 2006.

1. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I have searched the forums looking for any info about mixing PPG concept 9300 BLK and PPG DX-685 flattening agent and didn't find anything. I wonder if any of you have had a bad experance doing this?
    I mixed 32 oz. of 9300 with 23 oz. of Dx 685 and 16 oz. of Du-5 hardener. Sprayed my coupe , about 65 degrees in the garage. What a mess , too much shine ,streaks, rough apperance.
    I asked the local vender , and they say they have had some problems and that PPG has a new flattening agent that I can try.Please any ideas .
    Thanks Jerry

2. Spridle

Spridle

Kinda sounds like a temperature problem combined with old products. Have the hardener or flattener been used before? Or are they new unopened containers?

3. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

What is the min. temp that I can spray at? The product is new from unopened containers. I painted the chassis with the same stuff with no flattener and had no problems
    Thanks Jerry

4. raffman

raffman

I don't use du hardener any more, thought they were phasing it out. I use dcx61 and to flatten concept I use 4:2.2:2 thats 2.2 of dx685 and 4 concept and then 2 reducer works for me . One tip though when you shoot maintain light even coats ,too much will make that area glossier.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're shooting at least 3 flip front ends a month in a flat desert tan. They're pretty freakin big. We use DCC (color#) with a flattening agent installed prior to mixing with reducer or the 61 hardener/catalyst. The mat'l will not flatten with #11 supercharger, or other hardeners. I'm not sure what flattening agent we've used for this and I'd have to get back to ya on that. The comment about minimal coats also applies. More mat'l=more gloss. For the record we're going full flat on these. I'll post the info tomorrow eve after work.

6. Spridle

Spridle

Yeah I havent seen a 'new' container uf DU5 in about 4 years. thats why I asked. What reducer are you shootin?

7. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I did not use any reducer, and the Du-5 was from a used container. Thanks for the feedback ,I would like to try to paint it again in a couple days.
    Thanks Jeerry

8. Spridle

Spridle

PPG has temperature rating in the part# of their reducers.DT860 used for about 60 degrees, DT865 used for about 65 degrees. DT 870 about 70 degrees and so on. Id use 860 and dx685. The supercharger prob wont be needed. Keep the costs down. If you wanted you could opt for the cheaper Omni reducer as well. Its a PPG product. Stay ventilated, and wear a respirator. Hope this helps you out.

9. raffman

raffman

CORRECTION: meant to say 2 parts dcx , I don't use reducer in the mix. your problem might be the du hardener, PPG claims a shelf life of 2 weeks for hardener thats been opened, seems oxygen starts a chemical reaction that detereriates it. has happened to me and strange things result.....good luck

10. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I ordered PPG choise #1 today, for the flattening part of the mix. Has anyone used this with concept and DU-5 ? I have a new container of concept and DU-5 to mix with the new flattening agent.
    Thanks for the feedback
    Jerry

11. RF

RF

Why the flattening agent? I just used PPG's DCU 2060 Flexed 'N' Flat clear. The finish was a perfectly consistent suede--no shiny spots, no striping, no nothing besides the exact suede over the DBC 2000 metallic gold base. The only problem is, to get the 20% shine, you use less hardener, which means increased drying time...I was patient.

12. Spridle

Spridle

Flexed and flat is great and very durable. Seems to cover well and go far.