Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powering a HF bead roller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topless Ford, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Well, after a year of this thing wang-fu bead roller being a pain in the ass to use alone I came up with a solution. In the spirit of hot rodding I used what was available to me. I am in the hurricane shutter business, and after a recent job where we replaced the roll down shutters, I found myself staring at a used tubular roll down motor.
    These things are picking up shutters that weigh around 150 lbs or more so they have the grunt to spin the roller. As a bonus they are wired for forward and backward operation. I had no plan except that it would spin the roller. I used a 10 speed bike for the gear teeth and a bike chain for the drive. It has not been finish welded or ground but I did run beads and flanges on some scrap sheetmetal for a bit to sort it all out. It worked great. I just jammed the wires into an extension cord to test it. I need to get the proper momentary switch so I can finish wiring it up.
    I hope y'all enjoy the photos and as always, building stuff is just too much fun!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey TF,
    Cool setup you have there! Nice work.
    Are you going to use a food pedal to actuate your motor?
    Did you replace the set screws and hex head bolts that were supplied on your roller?

Mine was a gift of sorts,so I can't complain...but the junk they call set screws is...junk! I wouldn't have bought this one,but again,it's the thought that counts.
    I rolled some aluminum (28 ga?) flashing today for snorts and giggles and found this thing sorely needing some beefing up!

Good luck with your project!

3. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Ran,
    The first day I had the thing I replaced the set screws. The bolts are next but not a priority. Next mod will be to drill the blocks and tap them for zerk fittings, there is just too much drag on the thing with the steel on steel. I welded the angle to it to stiffen it a little bit but it also acts as a stop for when I slam it in the vice to use it. I came up with a pretty decent mod to square up the fence and it holds 1/16 over four feet. I'll post it if there is any interest, easy to do, just a piece of angle, nut and flat plate. The switch is a momentary rocker for up and down, similar to a decora type wall switch. I am going to do it as a foot switch with some type of pedal. I hope the photos help you get yours squared up. I would have bought something better but when I needed it the price was right and I worked through it. I seem to have way more time than money so all things considered it worked out well.

4. von Dyck

von Dyck

Just contemplating: could a garage door opener also be made to work?

Topless, you're not related to the Wright Brothers, are you?

5. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to see the fence mod please. I have a gear reduction motor from a BBQ chicken rotisserie I was hoping to use to power mine.
    Michael

6. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

On my roller they used a pointy screw to set the fence. The other side was just resting on a thin 1/8 plate edgewise. Compare your stock fence to the one pictured.
    When the fence was tightened the whole thing would be crooked because the screw and 1/8 metal were not aligned. Another issue was that when tightened, there was a bunch of pressure where the roller axle went through the fence guide.
    I welded a nut to the back of a piece of plate for the pointy screw to ride in. The plate helps distribute the load.
    [​IMG]
    I then fit a piece of angle to the inside of the fence guide. I trimmed the metal guide with a hand file to get the right spacing and take the pressure off of the roller axle. Squared it all up and welded it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You should see exactly what I did in the pics. It's cheap and easy, and best of all takes a shitty fence and makes it work well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey TF,
    Thanks for the info!
    The torsioning of the frame is a headache,but that should be remedied soon.
    Way to "hot rod" your roller!

Thanks again!

8. I got my variable-speed foot pedal from a sewing machine shop.