Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide vs turbo 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magsnubby, Aug 24, 2010.

1. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Since i'm rebuilding the 327 for my T-Bucket i'm thinking about replacing the powerglide with a turbo 350. But with my vertical steering (old VW van) there isn't a lot of room between the steering box and the tranny. Does anyone know if the turbo 350 is wider than the powerglide?

2. fitzee

fitzee

If your talking the bell housing There is not much difference. The difference is the main body of the case.Where is you box in relationship to the trans?

3. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I don't think the bell housing will be a problem. It's the main body that i'm wondering about. There's only an inch clearance between the pan and the steering box.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

With as lightweight a vehicle as your T-bucket.....and a healthy 327.......what USEFUL performance do you expect to gain from a TH350 vs the Powerglide?

Ray

5. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Quite a bit actually. The 350 gear ratios are 2.52, 1.52, and 1.00 compared to 1.82, 1.00 for the powerglide so the powerglide is like starting in second gear. If you've ever drove a car that was converted from a 'glide to a 350 you can tell the difference.

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Well, you might get better burnouts with a THM350, for most any street car other than a T-bucket I would think a 350 Turbo > than Powerglide.

For as light ass T-bucket I doubt you will need or maybe even want a 2.52 low gear (I think it will be a wasted shift). I want to think the car would actually be faster in the quarter mile with the glide. (better launch and one less shift)

I know that is not what you asked but it is the first thing that popped in my mind when I read your post, I cant help you with your question because I don't know, but I bet it will fit, 1" on 1 side gives you almost enough room for a tranny 2" wider.

Edit>>>

A couple years back I put a 5 speed TKO tranny in my son's Mustang with 4.11 gears, guess what, 1st gear is a WASTED gear, truth can be painful sometimes, especially when we don't think a situation through enough>>.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I understand the gear ratio differences and the resultant increase in acceleration, all other things being equal. My point, perhaps not well stated, is simply that even with the agreed differences, a 327 Powerglide T-bucket ought to be pretty quick already, for street use especially. So, if there are conflicts bewteen the trans and steering box, would the performance gains on an already quick vehicle justify the cost/effort?

Obviously, you should do what pleases you......no question about that. Just playing Devil's Advocate...........Whatever you decide, best wishes.......

Ray

8. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

The powerglide needs to be rebuilt. It's starting to slip and when i changed the fluid and filter there was a ton of metal shavings in the bottom of the pan and the fluid was more brown than red. So since i'm pulling the 350 and putting the rebuilt 327 back in (it was originally in the car when i bought it, it just developed some issues so i replaced it with a GM 350 crate engine. The 350 will go in my '56 Chevy) i figured i might as well go with a turbo 350.

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The 200R4 is narrower than the Powerglide or 350.

10. twofosho

twofosho

Not to mention the lower 1st gear, overdrive top gear, and lock up converter. Close enough in length to use your same driveline, normally can be found with the B.O.P.C. AND Chevrolet bellhousing patterns, and uses the same yoke as a Muncie 4 speed, Powerglide, or Turbo 350. Monte Carlo SS and Turbo Buicks have the best stock valve bodies. Only the rear mount needs to be moved (4" back to where you'd locate a Turbo 400 mount). Early ones are non computer and can simple to hook up, depending on how you want to control overdrive engagement and converter lockup.

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I had a 2 speed tranny and then up graded to a 3 speed tranny and hill climbing in a under powered car was so much better and my fuel economy improved with the extra gear.

Powerglides were know for being strong on the drag strip and served well with big HP and also worked quite well in very light vehicles as yout bucket should be.
    For me Id still go with the T350.

Modern trends are leaning towards more gears and smaller rev band to exploit the torque range of the engine.

12. Dzus

Dzus

You know what, 39 All Ford may be right. I swapped a th350 into my Chevy II and with relatively deep gears it basically shifts out of first almost instantly upon takeoff. I would think with an even lighter car like a T-bucket there would be even less advantage.

I would be interested in your experience on this after the swap.

13. indyjps

indyjps

looks like everyone loves glides, see if anyone offers to buy it?

I'd go TH350, 200R4 might be nice depending on your rear gears but your talking quite a bit more $ unless you can do it yourself

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

X2. I have a Turbo 400 behind the 472 Caddy in my '36, which is probably only a little heavier than a T bucket. The car shifts into 2nd almost immediately. If it weren't for needing to back up occasionally, it almost doesn't need trans. :p

Brian

15. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

What about the 200R4 and switching the rear end gearing to something a bit more long-legged? You could get a wee bit better launching gear and a much better top gear for highway cruising. In fact, it'd be almost like adding a two-stage overdrive.

Just a thought.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Changing the rear gear to a 'taller' ratio and using the TH350 would do essentially the same thing with out the extra weight of the TH2004R and the finicky TV cable. Just how many gears and complexity does a 327 powered T-bucket need to be a fun driver?? Were it not for the fact the PG is toasted, there would little basis for changing to the TH350, much less a 2004R..........EXCEPT that the owner wants to.

Ray

17. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I don't think i would ever go to an overdrive in it. And the powerglide may very well be just fine. It's really going to depend on the cost and size of the turbo 350. I can get a rebuilt powerglide with a shift kit (including a new torque converter) for $500 from a local shop here in town.

18. you could rebuild your glide, for about $120 bucks

19. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

just put in a 3spd munci and you wouldn't have to look lazy and you'd have a hot rod instead of a retirement car.

20. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Well, that's all true. You make a good point there.

:)

21. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

If you wanna come out here and figure out how to add another pedal in this thing (without hanging the pedals from the firewall) i'll throw a Muncie 4 speed in it in a heartbeat.

22. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Everyone has a TH350.

Powerglides are cool, and cast-iron Powerglides are even cooler.

Be different, be cool.

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'd stick about a 3.55 gear in it with a mild 327 and the P/G with a 2800 converter and hang on! Hell even a 3.08 gear ought to fly in that T. Lippy

24. Magsnubby, Your question about the dimensions of the pg vs the 350 , I just swapped out a pg in my 40 coupe with a turbo 350 , The 350 was at least 1 to 2 inches wider at the lip of the drainpan, I had to modify the x-member of the frame to get the turbo 350 in , That was the only point the gave me trouble, My powerglide was like yours ,leaked and was a little tired and may have needed an overhaul , I had a fresh turbo 350 and wanted the extra gear, a small shift kit was used to crisp up the 1,2,3 shifts ,the lenghts were identical, if you turbo has a 6 inch tail housing, speedometer and trans mount hooked right up,,, hope this helped,,,,,

25. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Thanks walrus. That's what i needed to know. Sounds like the 350 is to wide. I only have 1 inch of clearance between the steering box and the powerglide's pan. There's no way i'll swap out the vertical steering column. That's not even an option.

The car was originally built in 1971 using the '62 327 with late 60's/early 70's 350 1.94 heads and the powerglide. It's running a '65 Corvette rear end with 3:70 gears. I have a rebuilt diff with 3:36's i'll install next winter when i pull it apart for paint. The vertical steering will stay. It's pretty much the way i would have built it myself in the late 60's or early '70's. Except for the paint. It would have been Hugger orange instead of black. And maybe a Muncie 4 speed.