Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide shifter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harris, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Harris

Harris

Ok guys, I started messing with the transmission in the '53 and found that although the seller didn't know it, it does in fact have reverse.

There's nothing wrong with the cast iron powerglide - EXCEPT that it was originally a column shift and when the previous owner went to a floor shifter he installed a 3spd Mr Gasket number.

Does anyone have any ideas on a floor shifter that will work with a cast-iron powerglide?

I've tried Lokar and Gennie, first 5 pages of every search I run comes up with info on aluminum powerglides - different shift pattern and mounting points for the shift assembly. Closest I've found is for a corvette - but I'm not willing/able to spend damn near $500!

Has anyone made their own floor shifter? Pics?

2. hey its mostly a lever and a rod, you can use bolts for detents like on a Sparkomatic, which maybee a good shifter for that unit something old and simple

another one may be like a 65 chevell floorshift and modify it to work

i made one for my stock car just out of a lever and a rod no detents, that conveterless PG was a blast , beat the pack out of the hole everytime

3. Harris

Harris

That's kinda my plan, metal rod - cable if I need it.

Thought about using an aluminum powerglide's shifter w/modifications - but don't know that it'd be worth the money if I'm just gonna hack it up anyway.

4. RDR

RDR

had an iron glide in a 34 p/u....I think the shifter was a mustang?...had a button on the side of a T hdle...mounted to the plywood floor panel...simple, one lever, one rod...

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Make the shifter with base bracket that has two axle holes side to side,that the lever comes up off of the axle and arm goes down/then by rod to tran arm. The axle slides sideways a little and is loaded by a spring/you make a gatewith notchs that then match each gear/ spring loaded shifter then locks in gate as needed.
    Make a boot that fix to base of gate and then down to floor.
    Gate is supported off same bracket the holds axle and bolts to tran.:cool:
    You can use a switch mounted so the arm when in PARK holds it closed as a safety start only in PARK switch;)

6. Harris

Harris

It took me a minute to figure out exactly what you were describing Dana barlow, but now I've got the image in my head. Thanks for the ideas!

7. I have a gennie on my glide. If I were to do it over i would mount the shifter to the floor instead of the transmission.It shakes too much!

8. belair

belair

B&M unimatic might work-120 bucks