Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide shift question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidvillajr, Jun 23, 2010.

1. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Hello All,

I've not had anything to post in a while, but now I've got a question.

For those of you that remember (yeah, right), my pop's and I have been working on "The Grandpa Car" - my late grandfather's 51 Ford Club Coupe.

Grandpa, before he passed away, replaced the stock flathead and manual transmission with a 350 Chevy hooked to a Powerglide tranny.

My dad and I got the car all rewired, and started, but, here's the thing....

With the floor shifter (another grandpa addition) all the way forward in PARK, the car drove up the driveway and into the garage (under full human supervision and safety).

Grandpa hooked the tranny and floorshift up, but we suspect he did it incorrectly (duh).

So here's the question: ON THE TRANSMISSION ITSELF, THE SELECTOR SHAFT THAT PROTRUDES ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE OF THE CASE AND IS ACTED UPON BY THE GEAR SELECTING LEVER OPERATED FROM INSIDE THE CAR SHOULD BE - what - ALL THE WAY FORWARD TOWARDS THE ENGINE - or - ALL THE WAY BACK TOWARDS THE TRUNK WHEN IN PARK?

My folks are away on a Baja cruise, so I'd like to solve this before he gets back.

Thanks,

dv

2. crawl under the car and operate the selector on the trans by hand, with the linkage to the shifter unhooked. Put trans all the way either direction, try to spin the driveshaft by hand. When it's in Park you won't be able to spin it.

3. the shift shaft that sticks out the side of the case will be all the way clockwise when in park. turn the shaft all the way counter clockwise and it will be in low

4. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Thanks for the tips gentlemen, took me 10 pages of looking to find it.....

That's one reason I'm not here so much, too many topics moving WAAAY to fast to follow.

All the helpful stuff gets lost in the fluff.

Still my favorite hot rod site though.

dv