Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Jun 19, 2013.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

I was wondering how hard it is to pull the speedo drive gear off the output shaft of the tranny. Any special tools needed?

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Should be able to knock it off with a drift punch.

3. 1959apache

1959apache

It should just come apart like a 350t then right? Sounds like it to me, where do you get your tranny parts locally from? I still don't have a speedo. The driven gear was broken, the gauge was frozen, and the cable was broken. All 3 are now fixed but I think that the drive gear is trashed. I think that is what I am seeing from the speedo hole

4. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

It's a light press fit, you won't have the right puller so use care to tap it off;

[​IMG]

Homemade; On a cast iron PG

[​IMG]

5. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

just push in i think with a o ring so pull hard

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

If this is a cast iron glide then I know nothing. If its an aluminum glide then I have the powerglide bible you can borrow if you need it. I buy my parts from Dayco in Indy or Coan in Kokomo. If your gear is junk bring it to the R.R. Show and I can stop in at Coan and see if they have one laying around. Tom.

7. 1959apache

1959apache

I am going to enter the truck it is in at the RR show, so I will have to run it over to you sometime after so I can figure out what is going on. It looks plastic and red to me, but must be just dyed from the tranny fluid. I am colorblind to red/green, so it makes it a bit difficult lol

I didn't even bother checking to see if it was cast iron or not, I was more focused on installing the driven gear and new cable last night.

8. You're thinking of the "driven" gear; he's trying to pull the "drive" gear off of the output shaft. :D

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Its hard to imagine that the drive gear got screwed up it is still and the the driven is plastic is it not. should be able to look through the hole and inspect the gear.

10. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah it looked like it was damaged to me from what I could see, but I can't really get a good look at it (only the end) because of the tranny cross member, the frame rail, e-brake cables, and other crap all over the place. Are the DRIVE gears plastic or steel? I know they are plastic on later automatic transmissions (like 700R4)

The original DRIVEN gear looked to be okay, but the teeth looked a little used on it, enough to warrant a replacement (only $6.00 anyway, I could have done worse)...

The cable is new, the correct length, and tight, the tranny has a new driven gear.. So the only other two things are the speedo gauge and the DRIVE gear. I pulled the speedo gauge apart and it seems to be working okay after getting it unstuck, so that is why I am kind of leaning towards the DRIVE gear. I will have to get a decent picture of it sometime, but I am pretty sure that is impossible without removing the whole ass end of the transmission.. Seems like a lot of work just for a picture.

How does the bullet keep the DRIVEN gear in? It felt like there was a landing in there with a lip on the ends to keep it engaged to the DRIVE gear I guess... Is this right?

I guess I can try to hook another speedo gauge to the cable to troubleshoot the gauge to see if it is the problem...

11. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Drive the cable with a drill...