Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide linkage ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xlr8, May 5, 2009.

  1. xlr8
    Joined: Jun 26, 2006
    Posts: 651

    from Idaho

    I have a '65 powerglide out of an Impala. It was a floorshift so the shifter rod went toward the back, and then there is kind of a Rube Goldberg linkage going up to the carb. Is the linkage to the carb just the kickdown in place of a cable, or does it actually control more of the trans function like a Buick switch-pitch linkage? Thanks. Just trying to figure out if I can replace it with a cable.
  2. The linkage is the kickdown. As far as I know, powerglides never used a cable. Both my 64 Impala and a 69 Nova I used to own had powerglides, with the linkage you're describing. Hope that helps.
  3. NoFun
    Joined: Oct 16, 2007
    Posts: 25


    Here's my 64 p-glide linkage setup...

    Attached Files:

  4. Dale Fairfax
    Joined: Jan 10, 2006
    Posts: 2,586

    Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

    That rod is known as the "Throttle Valve Control Rod"-TV Rod for short. It contols upshift in the auto mode. Without it, your P.G. will upshift almost immediately as you accelerate from a stop-regardless of throttle position.

    Register now to get rid of these ads!

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.