Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide- is this from one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brian26, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Just wondering--did a search, no direct answer.

Thank you

Brian

Attached Files:

2. mopacltd

mopacltd

Not from any powerglide I have ever worked on.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Certainly looks like a '54 back Chevy torque tube coupling to me.........I don't know if it's Powerglide or stick shift tailhousing.........been a long time since I had one apart (early'60's), but no other GM, Ford or AMC torque tube coupling looks like that

Ray

4. GREASER815

GREASER815

It does look like a 54 and back Chevy coupling, I have a 53 cast iron glide laying here and it looks nothing like that. Pretty strange.

5. R Pope

R Pope

Pickup Hydromatic tail?

6. cast iron would work for me just fine. Just trying to get an enclosed driveline setup with powerglide for my supermod.

7. no idea

8. Thew ones I have seen for the cast iron, were longer than this.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think you may be on to something there!............forgot about those but think they were introduced in '54 models.

That is certainly a possibility.

Ray

10. Longer driveshaft improved traction?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't understand your question. The speculation is that this could be the tailhousing from a Chevy or GMC pickup from around 1954 that was equipped with the 4 speed Hydramatic transmission.......not a passenger car cast iron Powerglide, as first thought. While Hydramatics had long since been available in many GM cars, and some larger commercial/military trucks starting around '52, the pickups first received an automatic option in '54 models.

The Hydramatics likely used closed driveline (torque tube) on the '54 pickups as that is the style used on those trucks through 1954 models for manual transmission versions. The First Design '55 models appear the same as '54, but were equipped with open driveline trans/rear ends that were scheduled for '55 models. I have a First Design '55 GMC pickup that was so equipped and was all original in that regard.

As for improved traction, none of this has anything to do with that at all.

Ray

12. Thank you, things are getting clearer now.