Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Powerglide building question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mizlplix, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

Greetings: I am building a powerglide for a street Hotrod. No trans brake or drag racing in mind.

Tried "search" but no luck.

I am fitting "Case savers" to the reverse steel slots in the bottom of the case. Only two needed dremmeling to make smooth enough to install the case savers.

But the new steels fit snugly and have some drag when slid up and down.

Question: How free do the steels need to be to disengage properly?

TYVM, Miz

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

FREE! Here's the biggest reason why. Even when in a FORWARD gear, the reverse clutch pack is spinning, and in a dragging/friction situation. You want the reverse clutch pack to "freewheel" as much as possible. Why the case savers anyway; is the case damaged? I'd get another case if it's damaged. I build Glides for the local bracket racers from time to time, and I've never seen busted lugs on a Glide; TH350's and 400's, that's a different story. Street Glide, a steel hub with a 5 pack direct, and the wavy cushions removed from direct and reverse clutch packs, shift kit, a stall converter, and add on cooler. Pretty much the same setup with a footbrake only drag car. Big power or trans brake, and things start to get real different. Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

Thanks Butch: No, the case is OK, just a few burrs. The drive lugs on the steels are sloppy in the case slots without case savers. Just thought it would be better to have stainless steel for the steels to run in. But they have a 1-2 Oz. drag, so would not really release for forward gears.

SO, I will leave them out. Just a street car anyways. THX again.

Miz